Opinion on uni (1 Viewer)

Bigandy88

HSC
What is your opinion

The quote "The rich are getting richer and the poor get poorer" sums up the university. People are getting to courses that will make them successfu in life through "MONEY" . With the fees up, uai marks higher for the cut off a subject, less and less academic people are achieving the courses they deserve in Uni, occupied by people with money. This is insane, with the rich people getting more advantage through uni than those with high marks but coming from a poorer family. Will we see in the next 50 years or less that there is a big difference between the rich and the poor. WHAT IS OUR SOCIETY COMING TO.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm personally against people "buying" their way into uni, but, really, uni's are money making machines.
Yes, uni is expensive, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

hello99999

HSC
not all fee-paying students are filthy rich/have filthy rich parents, they just take out massive loans and hope to pay it back once they're in a high-paying job.

and it's not like fee-paying students take the places of people who can't afford it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hello99999 said:
and it's not like fee-paying students take the places of people who can't afford it.
They don't but they get a generally lower uai cut-off don't they? I dunno.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Its wrong that they can get in on a lower academic criteria than those that can't afford it though.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I don't like it how people can pay their way into uni either. There are people who work damn hard to get into uni. Thankfully, UWS does not accept full fee paying students - it recognises that university should be open for everyone. In fact, the other day my lecturer was talking about how education should actually be free. But uni is really expensive, but then again, uni isn't for everyone. So its really a personal choice if you want to spend that much money on your education.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i dunno, i think its wrong when places like usyd show vacancies for hecs places, but wont lower the uai in the later rounds... but lower it massively for fee-payers. lame.

eViLnUt

Cardplayer
HSC
i agree dat ppl who dun make da UAI shouldn't be able 2 apply juz cos they hav more money...it is unjust...however, i believe dat the government is encouragin more ppl 2 study in unis, so...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
^ hopefully they encourage people who can spell.

mishka

HSC
N/A
well i used to be against fee paying...but now i can see what it's about. the differences are pretty significant. a lot of these people have only just missed out on a hecs place and want to get into the course so badly that they pay extra (and HEAPS extra) for the privilege.

i know there's people out there who are in the position to use their money to do these things, but it's really up to them when it comes to studying and being involved at uni.

hello99999

HSC
Yeah and also, if they have the money to pay, wouldn't it be better off that they were in a fee-paying place rather than taking someone else's HECS spot in something else?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hello, are you by any chance a fee paying student?

hello99999

HSC
haha no, I'm not. I actually also agree that it really doesn't seem fair that people can get into uni with lower UAI scores just because they have more money, because for most people fee-paying simply isn't even an option, even with the availability of loans etc. (there's no way i could even consider it). it's just that there are other aspects to the argument as well that some people might not think of. i guess it's just the way the system works- no point whinging about it because it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i'm not fee paying either, i'm just trying to see it from the other perspective... is the issue really about the fact that they can get in by paying, or is it because they have the money to do it???? because my whole problem was i couldn't accept the fact that these people could actually afford the tens of 1000s of $$ per year. but now i understand.

it's sort of like private vs public education when you think about it :rolleyes:

i know it's depressing, but that's just the way things go. people can use their money to get them places, it may seem wrong, but if you had the money, wouldn't you do it too?? :)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
just imagine how much it would cost to go to uni if the unis weren't getting so much money off the fee paying students...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)