Opinion on assignment? (1 Viewer)

Hannelore

HSC
I was taking a quick break from working on assignments and started wondering about something.

What is your opinion on a unit (which begins midway through semester and only lasts for half a semester by cramming things into only 7 weeks) having for the first assessment a 2500 word essay which requires historical investigation worth 50% being due in exactly two weeks? It's a pretty big assignment and to be honest I feel completely overwhelmed. It's such a massive weighting (and the other unit's assignment is also worth 50%, so not much to fall back on if things are a disaster).

Do you think it is a bit unreasonable, or perfectly doable? I guess because I've never had such a substantial assessment due in the first two weeks of a unit I'm not sure. There's a good chance because it's so different it's just more scary than it should be.

Doesn't help that the whole unit was begun in a rushed and confusing manner XD Reader only became available a few days before class first started, plus no Blackboard site, so no extra links for help or anything. Also, the lecturer emailed back a friend of mine telling her to stop asking them questions because she was asking too much so now I'm sort of scared to ask for clarification outside of regular classes.

Anyway, just curious as to thoughts and whether this is more common than I thought it was :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What uni and course is this?

That's really weird though. They should have a 'taster' assignment to see how you're going first, not massive major assignment first up...

Hannelore

HSC
What uni and course is this?

That's really weird though. They should have a 'taster' assignment to see how you're going first, not massive major assignment first up...
Oops, got really distracted with uni and forgot to reply to this, sorry!

It's University of Sydney, and it's an education curriculum unit.

Incidentally, I misread the due date and it turned out I had about 3 extra days than I initially though to complete it but I was still really tight for time.

I agree that they should have a taster assignment. Sadly this isn't the case. Even worse, because the other 50% assignment is due two weeks after this one was, there is no way there will be time to mark it and give us feedback so I guess we can't take feedback into consideration here at all. Boo D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)