Open High School latin (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caaal

HSC
Does anyone here do latin by open high school? Well I do and I was wondering if there was anyone else (its damn hard!) who does it.. Plus, which texts are you able to read by the end of year ten? I have no-one else to compare my learnings to, so i am extremely curious on the other peoples progress in the language. Thanks!

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
All I can say is, I know someone who did that (Open High) and they didn't do well. This was for Latin, just to confirm.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
I chose not to do that because I didn't think I'd be able to learn latin without a F2F teacher.
but good luck to you caal! keep doing latin. :D

caaal

HSC
I had a F2F Latin teacher in year 7 and 8, but he got promoted (Mr Forsythe) to some Latin department and yeah, I was forced to continue with Open High, and all the other Latin students dropped out! Anyway, thanks, anymore? Which texts should I beable to read as of umm...say end of year 10?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Read as in translate? I'd say, verging on your set texts for your HSC year.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
what texts are you working from now?
you could try reading through some of the textbooks - oxford or cambridge.
By the end of yr 10, we hadn't done much 'real' latin - we'd read a handful of catullus poems (interesting and short!) and some extracts from the aeneid.

caaal

HSC
I'm finished in Part 2 of Oxford (I'm only in year nine, approaching year ten) and my Latin teacher (open high) says im well in middle of year ten. Say, where are you up to grammarically? I am up to the subjunctives (i find it hard to remember!!!). can someone recommend anything to me to help my latin?

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
you can do latin through the open high school?

actually, i did subjunctives in yr 11, so you're doing quite well.

caaal

HSC
yes, mic, you can! i got to say, its harder without F2F.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Just as a note, I've done my HSC Latin.

Now, you should be finished with your Grammar before year eleven.

I think I used Oxford, and did the Oxford reader for like a bit of year ten, or eleven.

Memory, clearly, rusty.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i should add too that i did my hsc exam last year.

And seeing you sound like the only serious student in this forum, you're welcome to ask for help at any time.

And yeah, learning something like Latin is harder without F2F

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
so, you're doing fine. we did subjunctives in the middle of yr 10 (but I think they just come up at a different place in the cambridge course). at the rate you're going, you'll finish the oxford textbooks by the end of next year and having a good grasp on the grammar will help you a lot when you need to read latin authors in yrs 11 & 12.
I'd just recommend making sure you know all the words in the junior syllabus vocab.
btw, caal, what school do you go to?

caaal

HSC
Thanks for all your input. I go to Carlingford. Not exactly a good school but hey..

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
carlingford's a gud school... n i commend u on ur dedication for continuing with latin...
its a beautiful language... n it dos wonders for ur english vocab n grammar...
we're (me, pigs, frigid) are frm sbhs... mic is frm sghs... for my school at the 2nd half of yr 10, we've finished up on synthetic latin... n started doing the easier bits of 'real' latin.. so id say ur on track... dont worry... latin's fun!

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
wow, the first few serious latin students to come onto the forums since we finished our hsc...lol :p

anywais, like ruka, i srsly commend u on taking on latin at open high school. that must be majorly hard, considering u can't exactly have a background in it like a modern language

see, how after i deleted all the spam, new members just suddenly pop up? it works, i tell u, it works!

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly

see, how after i deleted all the spam, new members just suddenly pop up? it works, i tell u, it works!
yeah yeah!

oh, and sorry. i didn't realise there were two of you doing latin through the open high. well done, and keep with it. Think of all the really cool english words you can use, like ubiquitous and sidereal

caaal

HSC
lol, im not really a new member, ive been looking thru foums for a while and yea, decided to register after a while. i didnt know there was another open high latinist..which one of u is that?

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i thought greensanity was. but then i read the thread again and realised he/she dropped it. sorry!

like i said caaal, you're welcome to ask questions at any time.

^___^
HSC
yes

the latin forum is very friendly, we don't bite ;)

do you want to join the secret society of BOS? the Latin clan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)