Op Shops/Thrifting (1 Viewer)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Has anyone ever gone Op-Shopping/Thrifting? Which shops do you recommend and any tips for finding the goodies?

Dylanamali

HSC
surry hills and newtown op shops.
occasionally just your local vinnies might have some decent things.

Look for accessories or clothes that you might be able to alter and tailor to look hipsta!

kat-

msftsrep
HSC

HSC
op shops in surry hills/glebe/newtown price accordingly...so just beware that everything in there isn't as much as a bargain as you think it might be.

But yeah, really not that many op shops anymore, hey. There's always a ton of people selling their second hand/vintage etc clothing on ebay/etsy/artfire, so if you don't mind shopping online maybe have a look there?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
lol

pretty much all of the op shops are terrible places which charge ridiculous amounts of money.

It's all the same stuff as well and pretty much anything worth buying gets scouted out of all the donation centers and garage sales every Saturday morning. It's very rare you'll find an actual treasure. And if you do they'll be charging out the ears.

I frequent 'op shops' and charity stores pretty frequently and the actual vintage stores as well. The other day there were a pair of Rubi Shoes in there selling for $40 that would have been from say 2009.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
My tips are...

look on ebay

go to junk shops not vintage or op shops

go to the dingiest looking junk stores you can find

charity stores are pretty good, especially in upper class areas where they're not picked over so much

Find out when your vinnies/salvation army etc get their new stuff and come EARLY

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
I went to the Surry Hills vinnies the other day and didn't end up buying anything :( I think I'll stick to first-hand stuff for now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)