OnStage? (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Why hasn't mine been nominated yet? It was so perfect. Everything; perfection.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Why hasn't mine been nominated yet? It was so perfect. Everything; perfection.
didnt you say they ticked the "nominate for onstage" box?

or was that someone else?

anyway, i just got nominated today!!! im ecstatic, but confused because i wouldve thought that i had too much swearing in mine, but they might censor it. but its just NOT FUNNY with all the "fucks" taken out...i know i tried it today.

anyway, ill probably not get in but im just so happy to have a chance. hope to see some of you there...kisses and love to anyone who shoudve got a nod but didnt. it is weird. there are many many kids in my class who i wouldve given a nomination if i had been in charge.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
fleepbasding said:
I'm sensing a mocking tone. You seem to be mocking an illiteracy that I see no evidence of in the posts you quote. You're a dickhole.
hey man, dont diss on the pi......the 355/113 to the izzle....the 3.14159265358979323846264 to the kizzle.......he the man, and he the WOman all at once....he give plato and descartes a run for his money......he do maths equations on a saturday night.....he the man

yogi_yogi

HSC
urbanslum said:
U should find out within a week or so, i know our school didn't get any nominations but suprise suprise i know Kirrawee got 3 nominations, no wonder why they have the head of the NSW Drama board as their teacher. The whole thing is rigged.
Oh urbanslum!...r u suffering from something called "sour grapes"??
maybe kirrawee high got 3 nominations because they DESERVE to be nominated. And like everyone has said before, Onstage isnt the be all-end all of the hsc pieces and you can still get 30/30.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
yogi_yogi said:
Oh urbanslum!...r u suffering from something called "sour grapes"??
maybe kirrawee high got 3 nominations because they DESERVE to be nominated. And like everyone has said before, Onstage isnt the be all-end all of the hsc pieces and you can still get 30/30.
wouldnt you rather be remembered by your school and friends for having a highly thought provoking, unique performance rather than strictly conforming to the exact parameters of the drama board. seriously, no wonder onstage is so contrived, the list of things that must be censored or discluded is endless...

people! honestly dont worry about onstage. you did your best. well done. onstage is for the lucky few who just happen to exactly fit the criteria.

yogi_yogi

HSC
AlleyCat said:
wouldnt you rather be remembered by your school and friends for having a highly thought provoking, unique performance rather than strictly conforming to the exact parameters of the drama board. seriously, no wonder onstage is so contrived, the list of things that must be censored or discluded is endless...

people! honestly dont worry about onstage. you did your best. well done. onstage is for the lucky few who just happen to exactly fit the criteria.
why can't you have both a thought-provoking, unique performance as well as being suitable for onstage. I doubt that every drama student attempts to conform to parameters in their performance just to be nominated for onstage. Is there really "exact parameters" for onstage anyways, if there is i would loved to see them. I assumed that all pieces selected were based on entertainment purposes, they want the audience to be entertained and to gain something from the pieces as well....
And yes i agree....dont worry about onstage.....

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
yogi_yogi said:
why can't you have both a thought-provoking, unique performance as well as being suitable for onstage. I doubt that every drama student attempts to conform to parameters in their performance just to be nominated for onstage. Is there really "exact parameters" for onstage anyways, if there is i would loved to see them. I assumed that all pieces selected were based on entertainment purposes, they want the audience to be entertained and to gain something from the pieces as well....
And yes i agree....dont worry about onstage.....
my drama teacher used to be on the hsc drama board, and he said that there are standards that they must comply with, as it is a public performance.

i personally think that nothing good can come from censorship, and the best performances i have seen are ones that push the boundaries of what is socially acceptable and challenge norms. this generally (but not always) means that their performance ends up being risque and not appropriate for universal viewing.

in my IP, i swore quite a bit, but the markers obviously thought that the subject matter was light-hearted enough to be considered (nothing is set in stone) for onstage. however, as i said before, i dont want to think about what they will do to it to ensure it's appropriateness...

i personally think that my GP was of a better standard and was more challenging and entertaining, but i think the examiners liked the fact that my IP was musical theatre, and this made them consider it for onstage, to add a little variety.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
Just found out today that one of my classmates was nominated for her Performance IP. It's fantastic and so exciting! Also, for all the hard-copy people, they haven't even started to mark them so we'd not find out for a while if we get nominated :)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
This kind of OnStage thread happens every year, for those who are nominated, congrats. It looks good on the CV. For those who didn't, don't worry about it, a good HSC mark still looks good on a CV.
Congrats Alley Cat, good luck for the second round.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Skillo said:
This kind of OnStage thread happens every year, for those who are nominated, congrats. It looks good on the CV. For those who didn't, don't worry about it, a good HSC mark still looks good on a CV.
Congrats Alley Cat, good luck for the second round.
thankyou skillo, some of the glory goes to you :p you told me to take out the audio announcer and to do the first song accapella...

will you come see me if i get through????

all of you are invited....... (touch wood)

Kyroth***

HSC
I think its funny, the politics of it all. Some schools like Newtown have to have nomminations, to justify their existance. Rural schools, on the other hand, have to be absolutly incredible to even be considered, because the cost of actually getting them to sydney is just too high. Sucks for people, inc me and mine, but what are you gonna do?

angelar

Yeah my group got our onstage nomination notification last friday (9th) while we were up at the rock eisteddfod finals. We're all very excited, cause our school has only ever had one nomination before!!
The submissions of videos and scripts and things for the onstage selection process are due in this friday (16th) and our teacher said that we'll get the results fairly soon, not sure exactly how long tho. i'll keep you all posted.

ritchwitch

Kyroth*** said:
I think its funny, the politics of it all. Some schools like Newtown have to have nomminations, to justify their existance. Rural schools, on the other hand, have to be absolutly incredible to even be considered, because the cost of actually getting them to sydney is just too high. Sucks for people, inc me and mine, but what are you gonna do?
I agree that really sucks. I was sitting here reading the posts about how ppl hate it that Newtown gets a lot of nominations and all I coudl think was "what about the country kids" I'm glad sum1 said it before me. Our class was the strongest it has been in a long time with at least three ppl who were at the level to be nominated, and might have been had we been a Sydney school but, of course, didn't. I'm not begrudging those who have been nominated from Sydney areas however. Its just that it, well, sucks that we basically know from the start that we won't get a mention.
Congrats to all those who got nominated and/or get in and for those who didn't don't worry about it

steffo

steph
HSC
my group piece got nominated.
performing arts school round the corner had numerous nominations, because more than half their year does drama, and they are all wankers.
no IPs in my year, and there were a number of people who deserved it over some of the peforming arts students who got nomiated.

i do not want to get into onstage. i want to move on from school! WHY CAN'T THEY EVER LET US ESCAPE!

i am still bitter about not gettin an IP nomination. bitter and selfish.
onstage will still suck balls next year. congrats for those who get to put it on their CV though. great for the meaningless drivvle we put in those things.

steffo

steph
HSC
AlleyCat said:
i personally think that my GP was of a better standard and was more challenging and entertaining, but i think the examiners liked the fact that my IP was musical theatre, and this made them consider it for onstage, to add a little variety.

hey first of all well done mate. u obviously worked hard and deserve a good mark.
what musical theatre did u do?

i saw local performing arts school's hsc performance night and SO MANY performances had music/singing in it. i just think it's a bit shit. like for some pieces most of their performance was music...i dont think that's really what should get the marks. im not trying to say anything about yours, obviously i havent seen it/have no idea. but the ones i did see, with HEAPS of music. singing, sound effects, just seemed....fucked a bit.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
steffo said:
hey first of all well done mate. u obviously worked hard and deserve a good mark.
what musical theatre did u do?

i saw local performing arts school's hsc performance night and SO MANY performances had music/singing in it. i just think it's a bit shit. like for some pieces most of their performance was music...i dont think that's really what should get the marks. im not trying to say anything about yours, obviously i havent seen it/have no idea. but the ones i did see, with HEAPS of music. singing, sound effects, just seemed....fucked a bit.
i did mary odonnell from bombshells. if you have seen bombshells, its the cat one...

i think that the examiners arent looking necessarily for quality in musical theatre, as i can sing a lot better normally than i did in my ip, but this was purposeful. i personally think that they liked it because i was sending up the competitiveness and cattiness of high school drama. i sang macavity dressed as a cat and an interpretive dance to the theme from shaft.

it was a good sign that one of the markers laughed so hard that she almost fell off her chair...apparently. my teacher said that, i didnt see a thing, i think he's exaggerating.

anyway, i dont think onstage is meant as an intrusion on your life after school, it is simply a recognition of SOME sof the high quality and inventive pieces performed.

i would be stoked to make it through, but i am not holding my breath.

thanks for all the good wishes. xx

Last edited:

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
so im assuming all schools know whether someone got nominated or not? ahh well looks like we lost out :) doesnt matter... congrats to all those who were successful in being nominated

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
angelar said:
The submissions of videos and scripts and things for the onstage selection process are due in this friday (16th) and our teacher said that we'll get the results fairly soon, not sure exactly how long tho. i'll keep you all posted.
what she said apparently :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)