OnStage Performances 08 (1 Viewer)

samwise1

Junior Vice President
HSC
For those how you who read this post and attended on stage at the start of this year, I would like to no if anyone remembered what happened in The Lunatic’s Tale by Jack Dods of Trinity Catholic College Lismore.

Any help would be much appreciated Thankyou :)

booties4

HSC
He pretty much just recounted on his problematic love life. He was an upperclass, Jewish doctor living in New York city torn between an intellectual and a supericial relationship i.e. The smart woman he was married to or the slurry in the mens magazines (i think) in which he openly confesses to having relations with.

He is homeless the whole way through the piece, but if i remember correctly, i think he became homeless because he was sick of the pressures and descions in his life OR his wife kicked him out, can't really remember.

It was very good character acting by Dods, especially in the bits where he had to play the Rabbi and the psychiatrist. Good use of the park bench which, after he pulled it to pieces, Represented his breaking of relationships and the moving forward in life, rebuilding bridges etc.

If i remeber correctly i think he chooses to remain homeless, i can't exactly remember.

Smokee

HSC
Heyyyyy

He went to my school =]

I really liked his piece

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
the one with brangelina and the orphans was really inventive i thought. loved that one.

and the first group one - perfectly timed; great physicality.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
"The Entertainer" was hands down my favourite of the lot. The others were great, but that one just blew me away.

booties4

HSC
Absolutezero said:
"The Entertainer" was hands down my favourite of the lot. The others were great, but that one just blew me away.
On the day i went "The Entertainer" was shit! It felt rushed and Unfinishe.

smile-xox

HSC
booties4 said:
On the day i went "The Entertainer" was shit! It felt rushed and Unfinishe.
the entertainer was from my school.... i didn't get to see him at onstage, but i did the lighting for the hsc performance and he did brilliant... so i don't know how to compare it what you saw, but he did put alot of time and effort into his performance

btw... would love to comment on the guy who did the shock therapy one... i think that's right

it was brilliant... well done xx

SpoonSamba

HSC
Yeh i thought the enteratiner was really weak compared to the othre monologues on taht night, pretty much my whol grade got bored. I loved the cat guy and the guy who did rosencrantz and guildenstern andddd yes the shock tehray guy was amazing.

im kinda disheartened that all the girls who did monolgues jst weretas good as the gusy like, whyyyyyy? But its ok ill be awesome any way

i jest im not that cocky

twould be mads to be in onstaggggge

EmmaCinderella

HSC
which one was the entertainer?
my favourite girl one was molly the first cloned sheep one
i thought that one was awesome :)
the shock treatment one was awesome too i agree!

Mighty Sam

HSC
This post is in responce to the slander of Alexander Burge's performace of 'The Entertainer', which was, in my opinion, the best of Onstage 08'.
To perfrom classical John Osborne play is in itself a risky and difficult move, which obviously payed off.
I mean lets face it people, any performance/performer to make it to OnStage out of the thousands of monologues each year in the HSC is there for quite a good reason! Therefore to say a performance is "boring", or "shit" seems to me to show a lack of appreciation for good theatre, and a narrow minded almost jelous attitude whilst watching. hmm?
The Entertainer was a very sesoned actor, and his transitions from comic to the dramatic revealed this. His use of pauses were amazing to create tension within the peice, alongside his use of eyes with captivated the audience and left many of the older, mature, members of the audiance in tears ...including my drama teacher.
Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion (which is what these thread things are all about hey?) but it is very easy and narrow to criticise without cause or research.
I have read John Osbournes 'The Entertainer' and thing i found most amzing about Alexanders adaption was that he made me revisit all of the feelings I experianced in the play within a 8-12 minute monologue.
An emotionally draining rollercoaster of a performace journey which captivated the audience that he held in his hand throughout.
Bravo! :uhhuh:

kiannafirerose

HSC
in response to the person who liked the cat one, i loved it too! it was one of the best one at all of onstage this year

jennieTalia

HSC
I really liked the 'Tails' one, mainly because it was different, and the sheep one was quite cute, although I thought it was slight factually inaccurate...

Then again, I can't act for crap so what am I talking about =]

liamh16

HSC
did anyone who went to onstage like the one with the irish girl in it? about the wars in ireland, i think?

SpoonSamba

HSC
I thought the irish one was good

but im pretty sure its something i would have found BRILLIANT in a smaller performance space because of the style of piece

a girl did a kind of similar style thing cept she was being an israeli at my schoool this yr and it was ammaaaaaazing but you wouldn't have been able to feel as much if it had been at the seymour centre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)