Onstage Nominations (1 Viewer)

missy25189

HSC
well done to all that got onstage ...
one quick question though ...

does onstage nomination mean that u got full marks or just that u got very close to full marks and a great performance ??

just curious coz i hear different things from different ppl

daiseydai

HSC
We have 8 students in our drama class.
I go to a selective school, so the amount of people doing drama is always small. We got two nominations for onstage this year, our group and my monologue. It's the first nomination our school's ever had. i hope i get selected. goodluck everyone.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
missy25189 said:
well done to all that got onstage ...
one quick question though ...

does onstage nomination mean that u got full marks or just that u got very close to full marks and a great performance ??

just curious coz i hear different things from different ppl
um well i dont think u necessarily have to get full marks to be nominated, but i would imagine you would have to be v v close - like 29/30.

and yeah congrats to all who were nominated!! :D i'm coming to see u nxt yr.

clubbinghitman

HSC
To be nominated for onstage just to answer some questions u have to get 30 or if ur performance or project is something completely different and fresh they put it on to encourage other students to explore different avenues because they get sick of seeing the same things and dont want to put they same performances on onstage they like to mix it up a bit! Though if u have a new thing going with ur performance/project it still has to get a fair good mark if its different but completely crap they wont put it on.

ashimation

HSC
For a group to get nominated for onstage at least ONE member has to get 30.

And I'm pretty sure I.P's are all 30's too, maybe 29's if they really stand our for their uniqueness. You don't get in by just doing something totally random, it has to be good as well :p

A nomination is based on the marks and then selection is based on having a range of differing ideas/approaches etc..

Thats as much as one of my teachers told me and they are a 'long established marker' haha.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Is there anyone here that got into Onstage from previous years who knows when they send out the final confirmation letter...i.e whether or not you made it in. I know they send you a letter regardless of whether or not you made it...but yeh, just wanted to know!!!
hehe

***Steph***

HSC
Congratulations to all of you guys, that's fantastic! I'm doing my HSC next year, and so we are going to watch Onstage in term one so hopefully I'll get to see all your awesome performances then! Congratulations!!! :)

Bowds

HSC-ified
HSC
I'm going to watch you all there too! One of the girls from the '06 class got nominated, didn't get in...of course.

I go to a state school called Windsor High, our drama teacher says to get in we need 30/30 and a new postcode!

Love, Oman

Quietly

HSC
hazaar said:
i heard that newtown performing arts got two group nominations and three individual noms. But a friend that goes there said the teachers were really disappointed, seeing that they have 80-something kids doing drama for the HSC.

Imagine 80 students doing drama...wow...i know theyre a performing arts school but thats heaps.

We have 12 doing drama at our school.
I go to Newtown. There were 86 drama students I think, out of about 170 in the year. That's normal for us though. And yeah, We didn't get many nominations this year. I think there were 11 last year. My group got in, and a guy's phenomenal set-design.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
i have just learnt that the reason our drama group didn't get in is because we were jipped by the overriding politics of onstage. The head marker of drama saw our performance this year, and as our drama teacher recently learned after talking to her, thought our performance was a certainty to get in. However upon further investigation our teacher found that only one co-ed, private, secular school could gain a place and that our place had been given to another school as the drama teacher there had friends on the determining board. So basically we were in, but in the end due to dodgy deals we were ousted. It sort of makes me angry...well it makes me very angry...becuase not only were we jipped, but i have a feeling that this sort of thing is widespread and that hence the onstage showcase is not a true representation of the best performances across the state. Also, our school has only ever once gained final selection for onstage...and that was a long gone ten years ago, so you'd think being a small school we'd have a strong chance of getting in. But i guess it was not to be. We'll just have to continue watching performances from the likes of kambala, ascom, sceggs, year after year after year after year.
As a final note, how have the above schools managed to get in consistently every year?
Don't they have off years?
For whatever dodgy reason...obviously not!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
hazaar said:
i have just learnt that the reason our drama group didn't get in is because we were jipped by the overriding politics of onstage. The head marker of drama saw our performance this year, and as our drama teacher recently learned after talking to her, thought our performance was a certainty to get in. However upon further investigation our teacher found that only one co-ed, private, secular school could gain a place and that our place had been given to another school as the drama teacher there had friends on the determining board. So basically we were in, but in the end due to dodgy deals we were ousted. It sort of makes me angry...well it makes me very angry...becuase not only were we jipped, but i have a feeling that this sort of thing is widespread and that hence the onstage showcase is not a true representation of the best performances across the state. Also, our school has only ever once gained final selection for onstage...and that was a long gone ten years ago, so you'd think being a small school we'd have a strong chance of getting in. But i guess it was not to be. We'll just have to continue watching performances from the likes of kambala, ascom, sceggs, year after year after year after year.
As a final note, how have the above schools managed to get in consistently every year?
Don't they have off years?
For whatever dodgy reason...obviously not!

Eh it's true, my school had these amazing but overly sexual pieces like tthis one that ripped off air travel and all the current events for it that year, and they were SO well done. The people ended up getting insanely high UAIs too, but they didn't get through :( and these are also people who make it to Shakespeare festival state finals

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Bowds said:
I'm going to watch you all there too! One of the girls from the '06 class got nominated, didn't get in...of course.

I go to a state school called Windsor High, our drama teacher says to get in we need 30/30 and a new postcode!

Love, Oman
hey man i totally agree with you...i go/went to Colo High, and it's been at least 7 years i think since anyone got in or even got a nomination... it's not fair coz there have been some really outstanding pieces, specially the class of 04 and i dont think our year was too bad either... oh well, what can you do?

Jeza

HSC
I'm Seriousl Sick To Death of this onstage bullshit! the other day we just recieved our letter that we wouldnt be performng at onstage! As usual you can be guaranteed to be seeing Newtown Performing Arts school and all the same schools at nexts years exhibition. I swear they have guaranteed places, I go to a small school and I really thought we had a chance cause our GP was so unique. ( don't mean to sound pretentious ) I agree don't these schools ever have a bad year or at least wouldn't it be fairer to give other schools who got nominations on equal merits a chance to showcase their work. Not that these recurrant schools work isn't good, but the whole vagueness and ambiguity on how the selection is made makes me cringe. Something needs to b done! A new panel of curators or something! Anyways peeps lets take our nominations and shuv it up those stupid curators arses. Lets start another exhibition all the nominations truly deserving of a showcase. we'll call it 'OFFSTAGE!'

goosiegoo

HSC
Do you guys ever think that maybe kids from Newtown get into onStage because.. umm.. they deserve it. Because they could be talented? Especially seeing as they had to audition to get into Newtown.. and... they do more drama than us and have really fantastic drama teachers etc.
So.. yes: they have an advantage. But it's in advantage in their learning and they're not necessarily favoured. I mean have you seen their pieces? Are you an experience drama marker?
Besides: It's just onstage. It's not the end of the world.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Oh, you guys I feel your pain...
I was nominated last year and cut out of the actual performance, and it hurts. But know that the politics of selection (and it IS politics, no matter what anyone says) don't take away from how phenomenally you did, and CONGRATULATIONS.

Maybe you can offer your school a chance for you to come to the school early this year and talk to next years yr 12 about the process, and give another performance at the same time...no use wasting all that talent.

Well done kiddo's, I'm sure you were awesome.

matmatt

HSC
I never even heard of Onstage until this year. I'm doing year 12 right now and of course i'm in drama, when do the nominations and all that go in? Whats the process? Is it the external markers that recommend you for it or what?
I'm putting blood, sweat and tears into making my IP incredible but i'm lacking info about the process for Onstage.
Any help would be awesome.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Onstage is a showcase of exemplary HSC drama works - group performances and individual projects. Your work has to be nominated by the external markers for inclusion, at which point you send your work/video of your performance to a panel to be judged and eventually you'll be informed whether or not your work was successful. Nominations tend to come out about a week or two after the performance exams...non performance projects find out a little later i think. I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

matmatt

HSC
Ahhh alrighty, so thats how it works. What type of marks did the people who made it to Onstage get?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
You have to get full marks, ie 30/30.

The people who decide also disregard any performance with swearing/violence or excessive sexual references, so keep that in mind.

Alternatively, you can just devise the best goddam performance you can muster, ignoring any conservative parameters, and get top marks for a much more original/innovative performance, and forget all about onstage bullshit.

My $0.02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)