Online Textbook's (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
So I study 6 subjects and use atleast 2 textbook's for each as well as written notes on top for study and revision. However, for some of these subjects i only have online textbook's that the teacher gives to the class as a pdf from the cd of a textbook. I know it is better than no textbook but i find it so hard to study this way. there are 400 pages in it and am seriously considering printing the book. if i buy the book it costs more than $80, and i cant afford that for 3 subjects. so what should i do, how do i use online textbooks to the best of my ability?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I don't see your problem.....just use it LOL

Well if you have two monitors,pads,laptops, you can simultaneously open them all at once like I do :D

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I usually connect my laptop to a monitor and can drag screens around the two and find it a bit effective but a hard copy is still always much more effective.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Well some people do prefer the feel of the book although there are times where a pdf copy is better. For example copying their diagrams, using the search function etc.

All comes down to personal preference.

shortnsweet

HSC
If it's really bothering you, maybe you can try and find it in your local library so you can borrow it for free (I know my local library has various HSC textbooks). Or you could try and find a cheap second hand one.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i am thinking of stealing a copy from school, eshayz

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
already done it multiple times throughout junior years, im a professional.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
lol my school is really lenient, we just take whatever we want.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
my school is too poor for anything, there is like 2 textbooks per class.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
legit, especially is english, there is like 5 to a book

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
omg i cant even.......LOL

iStudent

HSC
how do i use online textbooks to the best of my ability?
I only use the pdfs when I write notes, after that I just use my notes :p
When I write notes, I use control keys that lets me quickly alternate between one-note (which I use to write notes) and the pdf
e.g. windows key + (number), alt-tab, or simply keeping the cursor above the icon and clicking it to refer back to it.
I find it's better than splitting the screen into two, because it takes up less space and easier to read (don't have to keep looking left then right, then left etc)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There are essentially four solutions to this problem-without breaking the law, that is:)

1)Borrow the textbooks from the local library and use it in class/personal studying-revision

2)Print off pages that are particularly useful for further studying.

3)Buy the textbook that you think you will use the MOST throughout the year and for the other two books, use online pdfs- but take advantage of features such as making notes and bookmarking important sections to make revision easier:)

4)Buy cheaper, second hand versions on Internet or from past students or see whether anyone is generous enough to donate their textbooks to you:)

Hope this helps:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)