Online job (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
A job advertised on the internet says to email a cv,though It dosn't ask to email a cover letter. Do I or should I still email one even though they havn't specifically asked for one?I also have 3 personal written references , should I send them along?
I havn't applied online before so I'm unsure
Thanks

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm.... if you send cv without cover letter how will they know what you are applying for?

there usually not any harm in sending a bit more.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
if your sending via a job ad site like seek.com they usually have a section where you can attach a cover letter...if you are sending from your own email then write one on the email and attach the resume to it ..

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
For the job I got yesterday I applied over the internet (seek.com) sent off cover letter, resume with one written reference attached to the end of the resume. When I had the interview, the lady told me that the reason she was keen to contact me was because of what she read within the written reference.

*shrugs* I 'spose I doesn't hurt.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
only if youve got no experience. i dunno, i guess it depends on the job, ive got management experience in retail so i know what they look at in the initial recruitment stages, also cos ive done hiring myself. most managers wont be bothered to read written references unless youve got zero experience on yr resume

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone:) I will write a cover letter and I'll also attach written reference.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
spin spin sugar said:
only if youve got no experience. i dunno, i guess it depends on the job, ive got management experience in retail so i know what they look at in the initial recruitment stages, also cos ive done hiring myself. most managers wont be bothered to read written references unless youve got zero experience on yr resume
Thanks for the advice, theres 2 jobs i'm going to apply for :

1st job- I don't have any experience in the area that I'm applying for though the job is for a trainee position and no experience is neccesarry.

The other job also provides on the job training but prefers some experience in the industry, and I' have experience for this one.

When do managers usually look at written references?

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
normally then check within the time to get it,but it just depends,normally if your refrence is good,they would normally ask you to come for an interview,and good luck with and tell us how it goes:)

dezzy

HSC
i always send off my resume and cover letter- but keep the references so if i do get an interview they will have something new to read about me

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm the same as dezzy (and the fact I don't have electronic copies of references to send, but even if I did, I doubt I would)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i send them, sometimes they can't be bothered reading in the itnerview and don't want to

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Do you know how CVs actually get sent through sites like Seek and MyCareer?

Advertisers have a registered email. Anyone who clicks apply and sends anything through will go to the inbox of the advertiser whether if it is a recruitment company, or the actually company.

Files with no attachments are deleted or left unread.

Cover letters are good for a brief intro, and exactly wat you are looking for in the specified job.
So how do they know what job you apply for? It's in the database. All advertisements have their own unique reference numbers so that companies can identify what it is. But for good measure, write one anyway. It's an introduction to yourself. Sometimes the employer may want to look at your cover letter to get a small knowhow of your personality.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)