Onequality with pronumeral at the bottom (1 Viewer)

HSC
Guys this confuses me... If theres a p on the bottom dont u have to times both sides by p swuared this is from ruse 2012 question 11

Attachments

Drsoccerball

HSC
It's because both p's cancelled if it had a value it would of popped up in the inequality but it doesn't therefore no solution.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
No, its simple algebra, if you want to get rid of the p on the denominator you must multiply b.s by p, hence cancelling the p in the denominator in the R.H.S.

IF there was a in the denominator, then yes, you will multiply throughout and then you will be left with a quadratic to solve.

HSC
Yea but when u are aolving an inqequality with p on bottom how come they just cross multiplied.. I thought u cant do that in that u have to times both sides by p squared

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yea but when u are aolving an inqequality with p on bottom how come they just cross multiplied.. I thought u cant do that in that u have to times both sides by p squared
They didn't, they just multiplied throughout (they should of indicated that they did that for the marker to see, however it is not warranted).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Guys this confuses me... If theres a p on the bottom dont u have to times both sides by p swuared this is from ruse 2012 question 11
Possibly the p is known to be positive from the question (is it a probability or something)? If so, we can just multiply through by p.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
(Yes, in general we can't just multiply through by a variable since the variable could be negative, and that would flip the inequality.)

Drsoccerball

HSC
We know p is positive since is a probability.
Edit: beaten above

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes you can! You must get rid of the in the denominator

i.e

We can only do this if x + 5 > 0. For the case where x + 5 < 0, we must flip the inequality sign, since multiplying through by a negative number flips inequality signs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)