• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

One week is all you need for 99.95 ATAR! (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
woow seeing all this streess with everyone makes me feel like if i should stress?
not as in like, i should stress, but i feel like im a bit too chill D: D: D: omggg

either way, what you guys should notice is that stress is not a very constructive or useful emotion when it goes overboard
its much better using your time to get stuff done, then actually going around and stressing over what you cant do
we have like 5 days left! i know we can all do it!

thank you for your tips btw!!
and i dont see how people can sacrafice beautiful sleep for study, sleep is most important woohooo <3
fionarykim4moralemoderator

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
(e.g the way that the big bang theory is taught as indisputable fact universally in high schools despite so many other theories)
The big bang theory is the dominant scientific theory, and the amount of evidence for any other theory is negligible in comparison. Some schools do mention other theories (I remember our textbook briefly touching on the big crunch idea for example) but presenting these other theories as valid and credible alternatives to the big bang theory would be misleading.

Raolan

HSC
The big bang theory is the dominant scientific theory, and the amount of evidence for any other theory is negligible in comparison. Some schools do mention other theories (I remember our textbook briefly touching on the big crunch idea for example) but presenting these other theories as valid and credible alternatives to the big bang theory would be misleading.
Dominant =/= only plausible theory, which is generally how its taught. That is misleading, critical thinking my ass. Just because something is "good enough" doesn't mean it should be taught as fact. It's probable that a lot of the problem lies with teachers, but it's a problem nonetheless and most high school textbooks disregard doubt towards it or fail to so much as mention the existence of other theories.

That's off topic though and just one of my many rants aimed at our education system which is still admittedly better than most countries.

I think with how little time is left I'm just going to write generic creative stories & maybe 6 topic paragraphs for each module. Simply not enough motivation to put in the effort to write essays for each module, just AoS.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone stress me more? I need to get more work done, I start studying like a beast.

terzho

HSC
I'm pretty sure there's a difference between being stressed and working hard, I mean you can work for ridiculously long hours without being stressed about the hsc. To me it's not really stress until you start having anxiety attacks and having to go to the toilet every 10 minutes which happened to me during half yearlies........never again.

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
I have nothing wrong with analyzing blocks of text. I understand the purpose and the appeal, even if I only partake in the former personally, and as I said linguistics is perfectly legitimate. But that's not what HSC English is. HSC English is "let's listen to our teacher's opinion and how we should think critically and then get punished every time we try to think critically."

It's not the aim I have a problem with, it's the means. You cannot encourage critical thinking while at the same time discouraging your students from thinking outside the box. It's a problem throughout all high school courses (e.g the way that the big bang theory is taught as indisputable fact universally in high schools despite so many other theories) it's just more prevalent in English because English is an "opinion" based subject, but only some opinions are correct. English teachers have openly admitted to me that you're better off going with whatever you think the marker wants to hear, not what you think the truth is, because at the end of the day it's all about your mark not your opinion.
When an education system adopts standardized testings, suddenly there is only one answer for each question. Fixing the "only some opinions are correct" problem will require a radical overhaul of our education system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U
This is a pretty interesting video a friend showed me a while back. You might have seen it already.

Thanks that makes me feel a little better... Im ashamed to say that iv hardly studied since the trials and now Im kicking myself.
I did more work in class during year 7 than the period after trials. Dw about it :L

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between being stressed and working hard, I mean you can work for ridiculously long hours without being stressed about the hsc. To me it's not really stress did you start having anxiety attacks and having to go to the toilet every 10 minutes which happened to me during half yearlies........never again.

Hahahaha, that's crazy! You sure you weren't just drinking too much water? :p

Last edited:

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
woow seeing all this streess with everyone makes me feel like if i should stress?
not as in like, i should stress, but i feel like im a bit too chill D: D: D: omggg

either way, what you guys should notice is that stress is not a very constructive or useful emotion when it goes overboard
its much better using your time to get stuff done, then actually going around and stressing over what you cant do
we have like 5 days left! i know we can all do it!

thank you for your tips btw!!
and i dont see how people can sacrafice beautiful sleep for study, sleep is most important woohooo <3
I'm not stressing... just gonna treat it like any other exam

To quote Keating 'guilt is not a constructive emotion'. Do you do speeches in Mod B by any chance? haha

Sleep is good

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
In this final week, I'm only just now starting my English study.

Romulus, My Father & Spirited Away (supp text) Tuesday and Wednesday.
W. B. Yeats on Thursday & Friday
Frankenstein & Bladerunner on Saturday (fairly confident with these two so only one day allowed)
Julius Caesar & supp I haven't chosen (used Kung Fu Panda in class speech) on Sunday and Monday
Creative writing to be completed at some point throughout.
The moment each topic passes its allotted time it is done and I'm never touching it again.
Oh gawd, help us all. Might I add, the examiners.

To quote Keating 'guilt is not a constructive emotion'. Do you do speeches in Mod B by any chance? haha

Sleep is good
I already told you she does.

Raolan

HSC
Oh gawd, help us all. Might I add, the examiners.
And that right there is half the problem I have with HSC English. What makes something Shakespearean any more valid than a modern children's movie?

Nothing. Everything in English is opinion. Nothing means anything beyond what you make it mean. It's like a horrible version of relativity. I'd actually quite seriously analyzed Kung Fu Panda and taken from it several scenes and relationships that effectively portrayed conflicting perspectives to its target audience (children) and compared & contrasted it with Julius Caesar. My teacher even said it was good. But again as flashtrick mentioned, English is about that one standardized answer no matter how much English teachers want to complain about marking the same similar garbage over and over, so I guess I have to go find some serious, depressing, "please cut my wrists" text to use since that's all English teachers seem to like reading.

And that ladies and gentleman, ironically, is my opinion.

fionarykim

HSC
fionarykim4moralemoderator
BWahah this deserves a rep!
cept im not allowed to rep you ):

Sleep is good
HAHAHAH YESS haha go you!
i think its a fking smart line, keating is amazing and its true!
so what if u feel guilty or stressed, its not going to change anything may as well be a bit more realistic and actually sit your ass down and do some work

and yes, oh sleep :D

I already told you she does.
Why are u telling everyone everything? D: jks jks idc haha

Last edited:

Coolizer

HSC
Well, since english is first you might as well just only focus on that right now... and if its your worse subject like me then... ASK YOUR FRIENdS TO HELP ;) trollface.jpg

flashtrick

Gap year? If only...
HSC
And that right there is half the problem I have with HSC English. What makes something Shakespearean any more valid than a modern children's movie?

Nothing.
Now, I disagree with that. This is going into opinion territory (oh noes!), but intent and use of craft determine the value of literature.

Why does Shakespeare hold more 'literary value' than a child's movie?
It mainly boils down to the fact that the producer's created the movie for a niche and to gain profit. Hell, even if they were trying to be artistic and didn't care about the money (impossible, but we're being theoretical), the fact stands that it is genre fiction. It is aimed towards entertaining children. All the metaphors and hidden adult themes doesn't make the movie 'literary fiction', for the entire text is based on set features for its particular genre. It uses the same plot lines, jokes, character stereotypes as other children's movies.

I guess you could argue that Shakespeare wrote for money/followed preset writing formulas. [throw out the last paragraph out the window then :S]
But to use an analogy:
5+4i is not greater (or less than) than 1+i
but you know that 5+4i has the larger modulus

__
if you're writing an essay about literature, it's easier to use 'literary texts'. you can use genre fiction or commercial trash and get 100%. it's just going to be a lot harder and require more creativity. part of the marking criteria says something about "is appropriate for intended audience" or something like that. if the question is asking about a deep/literary idea, you're hurting your chances by writing about movies with flying pandas aimed for kids.

Last edited:

Raolan

HSC
if you're writing an essay about literature, it's easier to use 'literary texts'. you can use genre fiction or commercial trash and get 100%. it's just going to be a lot harder and require more creativity. part of the marking criteria says something about "is appropriate for intended audience" or something like that. if the question is asking about a deep/literary idea, you're hurting your chances by writing about movies with flying pandas aimed for kids.
I understand your opinion but it's one I don't subscribe to, as literature is what you interpret it to be. Your analogy is fine (ignoring the complexities of unreal numbers) but from my perspective it's x+iy vs a+ib. Which one has the larger modulus? Can't prove either because there are no facts. In a perfect world I can contrast the values portrayed in two polar opposite target audience texts to view two very different perspectives on the same issue (which is exactly what this topic is about).

But HSC English is all about answering what they want you to answer contrary to the illusion of being all about "critical thinking", which is nothing more than an excuse to keep it mandatory while many students continue to graduate without basic mathematical knowledge (we're talking times tables here) and that is deemed acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)