One thing with short answer questions.. (1 Viewer)

kelly29930684

HSC
When teachers are marking the short answer questions, I feel like some of them mark based on their own opinion on what the student will get.
Not saying all teachers.. but some. Perhaps the response might not be 'perfect', such as using technical language and detailed responses. But things like how the question ask you 'Identify, Outline, Discuss, Distinguish' which I think is well-answered, even though the language might not be highly sophisticated.

Subjects like biology, legal studies, society and culture, Food tech, CAFS can have this sort of problem where student go up to a teacher and ask them to review the Q&A again and still got rejected because the teacher still think the language used is not good enough, but 'THE QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED'

Subject like maths which I think is really fair. if you get it right, you get mark. If wrong, then its wrong.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If it doesn't have the required detail or isn't using the correct language for the subject then it won't get the marks as that is part of the requirements of the question.

If I ask a student to 'explain' and they write everything in point form they won't get more than half the marks as they can't be 'explaining' without using the language of 'cause and effect'.

Jakulore

HSC
I hear where you are coming from but at the end of the day you have to consider the fact that teachers are generally marking on a scheme or criteria and that the language forms and features must be taken into account when reading the response, regardless of whether or not you have answered the questions to a significant extent or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)