One off Volunteer Work (1 Viewer)

forkyspoony18

HSC
wuddie said:
really? red cross has came to me and asked if i was 21.

i don't know.
I've been donating since i was 16 years old. You sure it was red cross that came to you?

greekgun

HSC
uhawww said:
A one day course can offer you skills that would be extremely useful to their business?

And it's not about the experience in volunteering it's... you know what, you'll find out later on.
....either u are blind or stupid...in my last post i wrote that u should only volunteer because u want to volunteer for something not for experience....and is that all u can say "you know what, you'll find out later on". Plz post back when u have something to post which will actually prove a new point or correct me in someway.

trao06

HSC
the Starlight Foundation - if you sign up as an Events volunteer, they will send out emails to all volunteers when an event is being held asking for anyone who's free that wants to help out to respond. =) you can volunteer as frequently or infrequently as you like.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
greekgun said:
....either u are blind or stupid...in my last post i wrote that u should only volunteer because u want to volunteer for something not for experience....and is that all u can say "you know what, you'll find out later on". Plz post back when u have something to post which will actually prove a new point or correct me in someway.
I made that post because you're arguing against something which is common knowledge. It distinguishes you from other applicants, and as Pace_T pointed out it shows something about your character. It makes you stand out, and shows there is more to you than just good grades or whatever else you have going for you. Yes some people just do it to put on their resume. But what can you do about it? So what? They still got involved. By 'not about the experience' I meant in a way that relates to what your job is/gaining skills, which seems to be how you're putting it.

Do you want make any other retarded comments?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Note that things like 40 hour famine and donating money to the red cross/daffodil day/red nose day/jeans for genes/random deformity of the month doesn't count as volunteering, it's just giving money to charitable organisations, which anyone can do. Volunteering means putting up your hand to do a job without being paid for it (at least not money wise, some places will give you free lunch or something in exchange).

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
if your into animals theres the cat protection society, RSPCA or animal welfare league... volunteers have a commitment of @ least once a fortnight.

Sabbo

HSC
goony said:
I think the State Emergency Services (SES) does this too but you have to come to regular meetings or go to so many duties. I'd imagine it would be quite flexible too i suppose.
That's pretty much correct. Training is once a week (varies between units but it's usually around 7pm-ish till around 9:30). Since it's volunteer work nothing is mandatory but don't expect to get anywhere if you never turn up for training. Of course SES realises that you aren't available 24/7 but if you say 'No' every time they call up you'd probably have to question why you joined in the first place.

There's a variety of jobs to do within the organisation. You can go out with crews in the field or work at the Headquaters (Operations/Catering/etc). The choice is yours.

Been doing it for close to 2 years and absolutely love it. I don't ever want to get paid for it. The satisfaction of helping people is payment enough.

Oh and all the courses I do within SES are accredited so I get proper certificates for them (i.e. using communications equipment, public safety, etc)

Last edited:

greekgun

HSC
uhawww said:
I made that post because you're arguing against something which is common knowledge. It distinguishes you from other applicants, and as Pace_T pointed out it shows something about your character. It makes you stand out, and shows there is more to you than just good grades or whatever else you have going for you. Yes some people just do it to put on their resume. But what can you do about it? So what? They still got involved. By 'not about the experience' I meant in a way that relates to what your job is/gaining skills, which seems to be how you're putting it.

Do you want make any other retarded comments?
Thats alot better then saying "You will understand when you are older".

born2b

HSC
THink of it as BEING IN THE SRC for school or PEER SUPPORT etc..

it shows that you are somebody who helps and shit like that...

not that u do peer support/src just to get out of class :p

h1958buglid

HSC
OMG dont do "40 hour famine" "red shield appeal" wtf unless your talking about simple out-of-school-need-cash jobs.... lets say you want to be an accountant - be a assistant at Pittwater house ... fashion designer - try and work your way up through magazine work and gain hands on experience, or volunteer at fashion shows etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)