On the creativity of Creative writing (1 Viewer)

Cloesd

HSC
Stimulus for Creative writing

Post "ideas" like settings, character types, sub themes for belonging here"

Rules: Uniqueness is best, if you see that someone's already posted a certain idea, don't repeat it.

Go!

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
This thread should be deleted.

People are bound to plagiarise.

And no, I don't think it will be removed.

Brontecat

HSC
are there any changes being made to this syllabus next year affecting either hsc or prelim.

Cloesd

HSC
This thread should be deleted.

People are bound to plagiarise.

And no, I don't think it will be removed.
Well as long as people don't post ENTIRE stories, just general plot lines, it should be fine.

And besides, There's nothing wrong with a conference of ideas. The worst thing thatl'l happen is a few people will write about the same "premise" but their stories would be vastly different depending on how they interpreted that premise.

I mean, the hermit story for example, my hermit could be a lost sailor, whereas someone else's could be in a sci-fi setting where an astronaut alone inhibits a moon or something after getting lost so long in space that he found it more comfortable out there than back at the homeworld.

When you compare that to the kind of originality we have now, 2000 stories about the exact same premise. Ie, teenager doesn't fit. I think we're actually making progress with threads like this.

Infact most professionally creative pieces are actually compositions of ideas from OTHERS that've been interpreted. Hamlet wasn't the first play to have a plotline with a kid that had to avenge his dead father.

The new testament wasn't the first story with a messiah that rose 3 days after being killed, and was born of a virgin.

How i think it works now is, damn i need to write a creative story... i know kid gets kicked outa home, does drugs and dies.

How it SHOULD be is, I need to write a creative story, lets go onto bored of studies. Hmm.... look a thread filled with ideas. Ooo i like THAT idea, and i reckon it could really go somewhere if the main character did THIS instead of THIS. eg.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
Well as long as people don't post ENTIRE stories, just general plot lines, it should be fine.
The underlying problem, is they'll all be related to belonging. When you've constructed a general storyline, the general idea will be fleshed out already, and it'd be really, quite hard to redirect one, unless you're changing it entirely.

And besides, There's nothing wrong with a conference of ideas. The worst thing thatl'l happen is a few people will write about the same "premise" but their stories would be vastly different depending on how they interpreted that premise.
You can't be sure that their stories will be different if an entire storyline is given to them.

How i think it works now is, damn i need to write a creative story... i know kid gets kicked outa home, does drugs and dies.

How it SHOULD be is, I need to write a creative story, lets go onto bored of studies. Hmm.... look a thread filled with ideas. Ooo i like THAT idea, and i reckon it could really go somewhere if the main character did THIS instead of THIS. eg.
These people are termed 'leechers', and it doesn't help anyone to have their work copied.

My point is: this thread, if BOS sees it, can easily contravene malpractice rules. I'm acting in the best interests of everyone's intellectual property.

Cloesd

HSC
BOS really can't do much. I mean, what're they going to do.

"Stop right there mister!, word on the street is... there are stories on your thread!"

Them all being related to belonging isn't really an underlying problem, any more than all the stories that people currently write are about cliche and repeated things.

I can almost gaurentee this thread would cause a more DIVERSE set of stories, RATHER than a more concentrated set. Counter-intuitive to what you'd expect "plagiarism" to produce.

It's not like people are forced to post their ideas here, but those that do want to share their ability to weave outlandishly creative belonging stories should be free to.

And if you NEED an IDEA for a story, you should be able to come here and pick one out. By no means is the story written for you, you're responsible for painting the artwork using the metaphors and the language techniques, the thread simply tells you what to draw.

And in the end, the markers are marking your ability to use language.

lychnobity

HSC
But see, teachers and markers frequent this site, and when they see repetitive ideas, it casts doubt over the quality of the student's work.

Markers aren't simply marking creatives on linguistic expression, they're also marking based on the insightful idea(s) of belonging that are translated, this is where I'm fussed on. If the "original" thought didn't come from their own musings, I don't think they should claim credit for it.

This is where leechers come in, if an idea/storyline is readily presented to them, and they write about it, it's not their work, is it?

Cloesd

HSC
But see, teachers and markers frequent this site, and when they see repetitive ideas, it casts doubt over the quality of the student's work.

Markers aren't simply marking creatives on linguistic expression, they're also marking based on the insightful idea(s) of belonging that are translated, this is where I'm fussed on. If the "original" thought didn't come from their own musings, I don't think they should claim credit for it.

This is where leechers come in, if an idea/storyline is readily presented to them, and they write about it, it's not their work, is it?
I see what you're saying... Quite a problem this is...

lychnobity

HSC
I see what you're saying... Quite a problem this is...
Yeah... maybe the thread can be renamed as a stimulus thread or something? Instead of providing fully fledged storylines?

CHRISSIET92

HSC
I think you are being a little harsh on the whole thing,
this is no different to having class discussions and sharing ideas.
Calling people leechers is a little sad on your behalf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)