On Line Study Group (1 Viewer)

I have posted these kinds of messages in a lot of places - the drill is if you want to get people to help you, ask a Q and we'll help however we can
I do
Religion in Australia 1901 - Present
Aboriginal Spirituality
Religion and Ethics- Christianity and Judasim, Marriage and Divorce
Religion and the Media
Rites of Passage - Baptism and Brit Milah, Shabbat and Personal Prayer
Sacred Texts - The Bible and the Torah on Love and Evil

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
I have posted these kinds of messages in a lot of places - the drill is if you want to get people to help you, ask a Q and we'll help however we can
I do
Religion in Australia 1901 - Present
Aboriginal Spirituality
Religion and Ethics- Christianity and Judasim, Marriage and Divorce
Religion and the Media
Rites of Passage - Baptism and Brit Milah, Shabbat and Personal Prayer
Sacred Texts - The Bible and the Torah on Love and Evil
would love a copy of your notes after the exams if you dont mind..

mojako

HSC
what do u do for the sources of ethics?
(the sacred texts, beliefs, authority, conscience, individual/communal experience)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
sure thing - although they're not perfect
that would be great....Im just looking for things (mainly eg's) that others may have that i dont know/am not familiar with!! Call it professional development

mojako

HSC
do u have good notes for concience?
can you share it plz...?

if it looks good I might switch to it and abandon my "beliefs"
(I'm doing beliefs atm)

I just revealed my sig btw..
it was invisible.

Conscience

A person's conscience is very much an intergral part of Catholic ethics. Conscience holds a very important place in ethics for two main reasons-

It is an important aspect of Christian decision- making
It is one of the most indepensable sourrces of authority for Christians

It is by using our conscience that we are able to make judgments about the type of life we should strive to lead. It is through reading the Bible and by listening to teachings that we INFORM our conscience. Conscience is thus often described as a person's final, or supreme, arbiter of right and wrond. It is the belief of the Catholic Church that God speaks through a person's conscience. The primary role of conscience is to uphold the individual's intergrity and moral goodness. The conscience poses as an inner moralistic authority that sets the boundarise within which one acts.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
A person's conscience is very much an intergral part of Catholic ethics. Conscience holds a very important place in ethics for two main reasons-

It is an important aspect of Christian decision- making
It is one of the most indepensable sourrces of authority for Christians

It is by using our conscience that we are able to make judgments about the type of life we should strive to lead. It is through reading the Bible and by listening to teachings that we INFORM our conscience. Conscience is thus often described as a person's final, or supreme, arbiter of right and wrond. It is the belief of the Catholic Church that God speaks through a person's conscience. The primary role of conscience is to uphold the individual's intergrity and moral goodness. The conscience poses as an inner moralistic authority that sets the boundarise within which one acts.
make sure its not catholic centered (as your response is as it stands at the moment)

You *must* show knowledge of Christianity, not just one variant of it otherwise it will not score as hignly as it would (check out the marking criteria from last year to see what I mean)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
mojako said:
do u have good notes for concience?
can you share it plz...?

if it looks good I might switch to it and abandon my "beliefs"
(I'm doing beliefs atm)

I just revealed my sig btw..
it was invisible.

it appears some of your pages are down ATM (just thought you should know in case you didnt)

SH

mojako

HSC
snapperhead said:
it appears some of your pages are down ATM (just thought you should know in case you didnt)

SH
really??
did u get to dl the prospectus?

geocities is lame!!
I'm switching provider after HSC
not that changing provider is such a big hassle :p

I think they remove files which havent been accessed for a while
(the files are officially still there.. on the list.. but cant be downloaded.. and after a while if many ppl request them they make them available again.. I'll try to re-load the files)
EDIT: oh wait, the ethics ones dont work coz I had the wrong URL.. haha..
well I put some MP3's in ZIP before and they made them inaccessible

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
mojako said:
really??
did u get to dl the prospectus?

geocities is lame!!
I'm switching provider after HSC
not that changing provider is such a big hassle :p

I think they remove files which havent been accessed for a while
(the files are officially still there.. on the list.. but cant be downloaded.. and after a while if many ppl request them they make them available again.. I'll try to re-load the files)
EDIT: oh wait, the ethics ones dont work coz I had the wrong URL.. haha..
well I put some MP3's in ZIP before and they made them inaccessible
got it...thans again

Christie35

help!

Can someone please help me with 'Religion and the Media' with some of my articles?
*Looks at Snapperhead*

the articles I need help with are:

http://www.danbrown.com/media/morenews/time.html
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1101031222-561273,00.html
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/10/1084041332582.html?oneclick=true
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1101030901-477954,00.html
http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/nov7.html

I just don't know what to write for them, or indeed what to characterise them as please help!

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Christie35 said:
Can someone please help me with 'Religion and the Media' with some of my articles?
*Looks at Snapperhead*
what are you looking at me for? :p

You really dont need articles as such.... If you really want articles, just goto yahoo.com.au->news-> and do a search for anything that has been in the news lately...

You only need to know how the media depicts religion and how religion uses the media.
The second is easy as you only need to of religious media agencies. The first bit is where you need 1-3 simple examples...given that we have just had an election and that Australia is "involved" in a war...there are two good areas to start you searching from....!!

edit: sneaky...those links were not there when I started typing this response!!! (7:44 vs 7:56!!)

What do you want me to do with them?

edit #2..just had a look at them...the time ones dont really work as they ae just the opening paragraphs so they are useless
the smh one is for subscribers only so its useless ie no article to see!!
and the one on the Da Vici code is really just a book review

To be honest, none of them fit into the syllabus requirements for this topic so I cant really help you with them!! Sorry

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
SOR Syllabus for media
∑ religion and its use of print and electronic media to propagate a point of view:
– how religious views are/can be communicated, eg documentary; talkback; dedicated newspapers, brochures and journals; regular column; editorial
– how religious media are used as vehicles for/of religious conversion
∑ the print and electronic media treatment of religious traditions, issues and personalities
– the concepts of neutrality, bias and objectivity/subjectivity
– dimensions of traditions/issues/personalities which make these worthy of media interest, for example:
- extraordinariness
- controversy
- counter to prevailing broader culture
– media presentation of religious personalities, traditions and issues and whether such coverage is accurate and representative, for example:
- treatment of religious personalities, with reference to the ratio of male/female coverage
- treatment of religious traditions, with reference to the coverage of traditions other than Christianity
- treatment of religious issues, with reference to the ratio of explicitly ethical as opposed to non-ethical issues
– the media as a vehicle for promoting religious understanding and tolerance, eg coverage of national/international religious festivals, feasts and events.Students learn to:
∑ recognise the media as an important vehicle in the promotion of religion in Australia.

Notice the Australian context..!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
so we have to stick with media in Australia???? that sucks, our teacher said we could get it from wherever!
only in the last point...which is really where the whole article colection thing sorta kicks in...and it should be pointed out that no where does it say to collect articles, just eg's (and yes, there is a difference!!!)
LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)