OMGWTFLOL!!1! Found a SDD book by Carole Wilson (1 Viewer)

Popo Nana

As the topic title says, I found a book by Carole Wilson inside my room. I've got no idea how it got there. Given that the exam is only 4 days away (Teh uber-uh-oh), is it worth looking at it?

Thanks in advance.

chris42

HSC
Have you got the title of the book ? I was trying to search for it in google, but I don't seem to see it ?

chris42

HSC
Well I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a look at it, is that the only one you have, if you have the excel one that's good for revision

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by chris42
Well I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a look at it, is that the only one you have, if you have the excel one that's good for revision
Nothing beats Sam's one :p

saves.the.day

HSC
PLEASE DO NOT USE SOFTWARE BOOK BY CAROLE WILSON
I go to the school that Carole Wilson used to work until she retired (when i was in year 11) and ALL students do not use the Wilson book. The only reason we use the Wilson book at school is because the teachers keep pushing it.

There are SO many errors in that book its not funny.
Some errors include:
[@] Page 74: Her description of a DFD external entity and external store is OPPOSITE
[@] Page 57: Says that black box perspective is users view and white box is the developers view (correct enough definitions)
Page 68: She has COMPLETLEY OPPOSITE definitions of black and white box perspective (completley contradicting herself).
[@] Page 284: In the chapter of Developers view of hardware (chap. 10) her description of several gates are completely wrong. A quote from this section reads (page 284):
"The NOR gate is... logically an OR gate followed by a NOR gate"
Well this just sets up an infinite re-iteration. Something we're taught to avoid in SDD aren't we?
[@] You wanna learn what a structure diagram is? Too bad! Look it up in the index and you'll be taken to page 130. All it has is the diagram, no explanation, no other words but "structure diagram". It then moves onto the next section. Like wtf? it just puts a picture of a structure diagram.

Why else should you avoid this book?
Well if you talk to some of my friends and me personally, you'll find people keep saying she puts in alot of useless junk. In the same chapter of her HSC IPT text she repeats the definition of a macro I remember 5-6 different times? (oh yeh it's in one of the option topics multimedia)
Well she does the same in this book. You'll find repetition and lots of really ambiguous definitions which results in quite a chunky book. I mean Sam Davis book is really well written and is about the same thickness but You'll see the Davis book doesn't repeat himself just to increase thickness.

Well all of my cohorts use the excel, Sam Davis and various other texts instead. I advise you do the same.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Ye saves the day is correct.

Sam Davis' book is the only one to use.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Actually the Excel book for SDD is fairly good too.
I havent seen CW's, but the Heinemann one also has some good stuff in it.

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
Actually the Excel book for SDD is fairly good too.
I havent seen CW's, but the Heinemann one also has some good stuff in it.
Like I said in my previous post, there are a number of reasons to stay clear of the Wilson text.

I do have the excel book and it is well written. However, I have found that the Sam Davis book is written very clearly and concisley. I really recconmend either book, but if I'd have to choose, the Sam Davis book would be my pick (although he does tend to go overboard in flip flops section!).

Good Luck,

Fiona

I have the Carole Wilson book... Noticed some errors... Don't really use it much, but only because I'm lazy.

I also have the Heinemann one, and the Excel one. I guess I mainly use the excel one, but I don't have a reason for doing so.

I wish I had the Sam Davis one, sounds like everybody loves it!

Ah well, too late now :) I noticed it in my local book shop, nice red cover, but decided that it was not worth buying seeing as I already had three text books and I think I'll fail anyway :)

ezzajay

Originally posted by Popo Nana
As the topic title says, I found a book by Carole Wilson inside my room. I've got no idea how it got there. Given that the exam is only 4 days away (Teh uber-uh-oh), is it worth looking at it?

Thanks in advance.

Are you by any chance a goon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)