Oldwives tale or anecdotal evidence? (1 Viewer)

crazedmo2003

HSC
For the longest time, I've heard that:

If you get band 6's in 10 decent scaling units, it's essentially an over 99 UAI.

Is there any truth in this? I find this hard to believe, mainly because at the moment I'm looking at band 6's for my 10 (fairly decent scaling) top units, and I work too little to deserve a 99 UAI. (ie. I watched 10 episodes of family guy today....seriously how many hours can you possibly take to memorise the same few essays?)

.....would be nice though...

Also in my school, a considerable amount of people get State Premier award, whilst less people get over 99, and the general conception is that our school is a huge scale harem, so ....wait somewhere there I lost the point.

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
If by 'decent scaling' you mean your marks are left alone or scaled up, then that's exactly right.

An aggregate mark of 450/500 gets you into the 99 range, easy.

a 90 in English scales to 87.4, Ext 2 Maths scales to 93.4, Industrial Technology scales to .... 65.8

So if you're talking about exactly band 6 - 90s - then you'd probably need to do just about the 8 highest scaling units + english advanced to get 99.

crazedmo2003

HSC
Okay, 4 units of Maths, 4 units of English and 2 units of physics are my 10 units which will count.

I know 4U maths and physics scales quite nicely, not really that sure about everything else.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Remember that the UAI is a ranking index. So the more people who get band 6's, the less chance of getting a 99 UAI.

There isn't a set system where if any student gets all band 6 he/she automatically gets 99+

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Remember that a UAI over 99 equals the top 1% of your cohort and in many subjects about 5% of students get Band 6.

I have taught a couple of students over the years who have had over 90 in all subjects and none of them have received UAIs over 99. They have received UAIs over 95 however. Why - because often their Band 6 is 90 or 91 and that brings them down to the top 5% of the state in UAIs not top 1% of the state.

crazedmo2003

HSC
So far SAM for me has predicted everything from 95.85 (me just inputting my trials marks) to 99.5 (my probably over-estimation of what I'll get in the HSC)

Also I understand that this is never accurate, which is why i said "anecdotal evidence", because from what I observe, if you get premier's award and 10 decent scaling units, usually you get over 99.

Just out of interest, what subjects was the girl who didn't get over 99 doing?

Last edited:

crazedmo2003

HSC
Yeah I tried that as well, 98.65...it's decent I guess.

But I'd really like an over 99 just because it looks so pretty.....oooo.....glowy:burn:

...and....in the case of that smilie, spontaneous combustion as well

cerene

procrastinator
HSC
you cant have only english maths and physics

isnt it at least four subjects for the hsc?

cerene

procrastinator
HSC
Yup i just double checked that

"at least four subjects"

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The 'four subjects' requirement is for sitting the HSC, not for calculating UAIs.

So, whilst you have to take at least four subjects, they don't all have to count towards your top 10 units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)