ok mark, bad rank (1 Viewer)

moonbow

HSC
i got my modern history assessment 1 back (weighted 30%), somehow misunderstood the question and got a 84% - i think im second last within a cohort of ~25 at a top 100 school . i dont understand much about the system of scaling, internals etc but roughly how bad is this if im aiming for a 90s atar ? thanks 🥲

dsakvyilsa

HSC
i got my modern history assessment 1 back (weighted 30%), somehow misunderstood the question and got a 84% - i think im second last within a cohort of ~25 at a top 100 school . i dont understand much about the system of scaling, internals etc but roughly how bad is this if im aiming for a 90s atar ? thanks 🥲
how were you ranked overall for the prelim course?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the optimal outcome would be to rank as high as possible relative to your cohort as this would maximise your chances of receiving a high Assessment Mark, being the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your final HSC mark for a subject (in this case, Modern History). The marks that you receive for your school-based assessment tasks/exams, like the 84% you received for your assessment task, are only used to determine your rank and their significance does not extend beyond this.

If your mark places you second last in your cohort, this could indicate either one of two things:
  • Your cohort is comprised of academically capable students - If this is the case, then it is possible that your current position may not be as bad as you might think, although improvement in your upcoming tasks is definitely welcome as it would assist you in ranking higher and consequently brings you closer to your ATAR goal.
  • Your school sets easier/relatively easy assessment tasks/exams, making favourable performance in the actual tasks easier to achieve - If this is the case, then it is important that you focus on improving your performance in your upcoming tasks. From your post, it seems like this you can definitely do this, especially considering that you misunderstood the question (which you can hopefully address going forward) rather than a more concerning issue.
With that being said, 30% is not insignificant, meaning that it is reasonable to suggest that it will impact your overall position in Modern History, although this does not necessarily mean that a 90+ ATAR is no longer achievable, especially considering that there is 70% worth of your school-based assessment tasks/exams that is yet to be determined, giving you a great opportunity to turn things around in your favour.

I hope this helps! 😄

moonbow

HSC
Essentially, the optimal outcome would be to rank as high as possible relative to your cohort as this would maximise your chances of receiving a high Assessment Mark, being the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your final HSC mark for a subject (in this case, Modern History). The marks that you receive for your school-based assessment tasks/exams, like the 84% you received for your assessment task, are only used to determine your rank and their significance does not extend beyond this.

If your mark places you second last in your cohort, this could indicate either one of two things:
  • Your cohort is comprised of academically capable students - If this is the case, then it is possible that your current position may not be as bad as you might think, although improvement in your upcoming tasks is definitely welcome as it would assist you in ranking higher and consequently brings you closer to your ATAR goal.
  • Your school sets easier/relatively easy assessment tasks/exams, making favourable performance in the actual tasks easier to achieve - If this is the case, then it is important that you focus on improving your performance in your upcoming tasks. From your post, it seems like this you can definitely do this, especially considering that you misunderstood the question (which you can hopefully address going forward) rather than a more concerning issue.
With that being said, 30% is not insignificant, meaning that it is reasonable to suggest that it will impact your overall position in Modern History, although this does not necessarily mean that a 90+ ATAR is no longer achievable, especially considering that there is 70% worth of your school-based assessment tasks/exams that is yet to be determined, giving you a great opportunity to turn things around in your favour.

I hope this helps! 😄
thank u so much for the advice ! according to my teacher our modern history course is known for being one of the best and our internals are supposed to be harder than the actual hsc exam, is this a helpful factor or not too important ?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thank u so much for the advice ! according to my teacher our modern history course is known for being one of the best and our internals are supposed to be harder than the actual hsc exam, is this a helpful factor or not too important ?
No worries! If that is the case, then it is likely that you are part of an academically capable cohort since 84% is one of the lower marks and was achieved in what may be considered a challenging assignment. Where this matters is in whether there is a need to be ranked in the top few students of your cohort in order for your performance to be consistent with your ATAR goal. In low-ranking schools for instance, it is reasonable to expect a lower number of academically capable students as opposed to higher-ranked schools, which calls for the need to rank as high as possible (preferably somewhere in the top 5 or higher) in order to ensure the best chance of receiving the highest possible Assessment Mark. This may not be needed in higher-ranked schools with more academically capable students, where ranking slightly lower would still yield a very similar result.

Of course, this does not mean that you should not make an attempt to improve your rank, as the notion of ranking higher in order to improve your chances of receiving a better Assessment Mark still applies.

moonbow

HSC
No worries! If that is the case, then it is likely that you are part of an academically capable cohort since 84% is one of the lower marks and was achieved in what may be considered a challenging assignment. Where this matters is in whether there is a need to be ranked in the top few students of your cohort in order for your performance to be consistent with your ATAR goal. In low-ranking schools for instance, it is reasonable to expect a lower number of academically capable students as opposed to higher-ranked schools, which calls for the need to rank as high as possible (preferably somewhere in the top 5 or higher) in order to ensure the best chance of receiving the highest possible Assessment Mark. This may not be needed in higher-ranked schools with more academically capable students, where ranking slightly lower would still yield a very similar result.

Of course, this does not mean that you should not make an attempt to improve your rank, as the notion of ranking higher in order to improve your chances of receiving a better Assessment Mark still applies.
ur advice has been so helpful ! thank u again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)