oh no what is this im hearing.... (1 Viewer)

viper1009

Is it true that if u want to transfer courses they will take 50% of the UAI i get now and 50% of uni marks. If its true then that suck, cause I have no hope in getting in the course i desire to do

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well for law at usyd/unsw for first year transfer they do the 50/50 thing
Then for grad. like after you've finished the degree it'll be 25% UAI / 75% GPA
I think if u want to transfer from year 1-3 they'll do 50/50. Not to sure, you had better email the faculty you're interested in. They usually give a helping hand

EDIT; ah yeah like the post above this, i didnt read it until i typed up mine. :p

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Bob.J said:
well for law at usyd/unsw for first year transfer they do the 50/50 thing
Then for grad. like after you've finished the degree it'll be 25% UAI / 75% GPA
I think if u want to transfer from year 1-3 they'll do 50/50. Not to sure, you had better email the faculty you're interested in. They usually give a helping hand

EDIT; ah yeah like the post above this, i didnt read it until i typed up mine. :p
Where do you get the idea your UAI is used for graduate entry? Once you have your undergraduate the only thing they might specify is a Credit average or more during either your full degree, last 2 years or a good excuse why you don't have a credit average but want to do post grad anyway.
I have not heard of one University using a UAI for post grad entry, I think that would be very foolish and insulting of them, think of how many people have never gotten a UAI but might have a bachelors in something. I have a TER, it has never come out in any application I have made apart from the first one to get into my first uni degree, even when I transferred to another uni after 2 years they left it out and just went off my uni marks. Perhaps in some unis they might have the 50/50 for undergrads but for post grads I would love to be proven wrong and have a good laugh at the uni who would be silly enough to put UAI into their procedures.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
LeftrightOut said:
Where do you get the idea your UAI is used for graduate entry? Once you have your undergraduate the only thing they might specify is a Credit average or more during either your full degree, last 2 years or a good excuse why you don't have a credit average but want to do post grad anyway.
I have not heard of one University using a UAI for post grad entry, I think that would be very foolish and insulting of them, think of how many people have never gotten a UAI but might have a bachelors in something. I have a TER, it has never come out in any application I have made apart from the first one to get into my first uni degree, even when I transferred to another uni after 2 years they left it out and just went off my uni marks. Perhaps in some unis they might have the 50/50 for undergrads but for post grads I would love to be proven wrong and have a good laugh at the uni who would be silly enough to put UAI into their procedures.
UNSW and USyd use 25% UAI, 75% Tertiary results for entry into their Graduate Law programs

"Graduates are assessed on the basis of a combination of UAI(or equivalent) and tertiary results."
from the UNSW Law website

"25% UAI / 75% tertiary grade point average. The tertiary average is based on the grade achieved in each subject of your completed degree. If you have more than one degree, the tertiary record will be based on the best degree. If you have completed one full-time year or equivalent of graduate law degree you will be assessed for entry on 50% tertiary grade point average for the completed degree and 50% grade point average for completed law studies to date."
from the USyd Law website

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
UNSW and USyd use 25% UAI, 75% Tertiary results for entry into their Graduate Law programs

"Graduates are assessed on the basis of a combination of UAI(or equivalent) and tertiary results."
from the UNSW Law website

"25% UAI / 75% tertiary grade point average. The tertiary average is based on the grade achieved in each subject of your completed degree. If you have more than one degree, the tertiary record will be based on the best degree. If you have completed one full-time year or equivalent of graduate law degree you will be assessed for entry on 50% tertiary grade point average for the completed degree and 50% grade point average for completed law studies to date."
from the USyd Law website
From the USyd Graduate Law Guide there is no mention of UAI anywhere in their documentation.
http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/InformationPack/LawPGGuide.pdf
http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/postgrad/study/pub/pg_hb03_admission.pdf
and I would be inclined to believe the official handbooks. You will notice that the LLB is still an UNDERgraduate award even though it has "Graduate" in its award title.

From UNSW
Having a look at one post graduate award and its entry requirements no mention of UAI
http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future_students/postgraduate/programs/pg_app.asp

For their LLB (still an undergrad award) you left out some minor aspects.
Graduates are assessed on the basis of a combination of UAI(or equivalent) and tertiary results.

GPA rankings are applied to undergraduate degrees, honours, and masters by coursework (partial completion considered). Entry to this program is very competitive, and applicants with honours or a postgraduate degree will be viewed more favourably. Applicants with a completed Research Masters or PhD will automatically be offered a place.

Applicants for graduate law programs who have been awarded credit for law courses in another degree may be granted exemptions but will be required to make up the equivalent number of units of credit in electives.

Applicants whose tertiary studies were completed more than 8 years ago, or whose secondary studies were completed more than 10 years ago may improve the standard of their application by taking the ALSET. Contact the Law School Admissions Coordinator to discuss your particular situation. Tel: (02) 9385 1792 Email: v.tomlin@unsw.edu.au
It's the "or equivalent" that is your best bet at shirking them using a UAI. Interesting that they would let you straight in with a research masters. But again that is for an undergraduate award.

If someone is truly wanting to do law they could do any undergraduate degree, finish off a Masters in that field in 1-2 years and just walk straight into law.

I still stand by my point that for a post graduate program any university that would use a UAI for entry requirements would be laughed at.

Edit: Statistically though you may have a bigger problem on your hands in getting decent marks in your first year or even finishing your first degree before getting to the stage where the way they calculate the transfer is an issue.

Last edited:

viper1009

I just saw on uac website:

1 Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT Multiple Choice). You must sit the test no later than Saturday 4 December 2004 to be guaranteed consideration for Main Round offers.

2 UAI (or equivalent), or a tertiary studies record.

(This is for pharmacy in USyd)

I have 2 questions bout this:

1) If i want to transfer in 2005, was I supposed to sit STAT this year (cos i didnt) or can I sit next year since I'm not doing pharmacy in 2004?

and

2) "UAI (or equivalent), or a tertiary studies record"------does that or mean they do not take 50% of your UAI and 50% of tertiary studies record---just one......or am I seeing things again?

thx for ur replys, been great help

viper1009

oh and also would it be wise for me to do some Bscience in USyd next year and not UNSW so it's easier to transfer

thx again

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
im hoping to get into Bscience at at syd (and also nsw) so i can major in psychology and progress to 4th yr honours...but im doing this first because lower uai and im not sure if i want to do psych yet.

transfering between courses and unis was easier with internal uni transfer, but since its controlled by uac now its more annoying for students i guess.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
LeftrightOut said:
From the USyd Graduate Law Guide there is no mention of UAI anywhere in their documentation.
http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/InformationPack/LawPGGuide.pdf
http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/postgrad/study/pub/pg_hb03_admission.pdf
and I would be inclined to believe the official handbooks. You will notice that the LLB is still an UNDERgraduate award even though it has "Graduate" in its award title.

From UNSW
Having a look at one post graduate award and its entry requirements no mention of UAI
http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/future_students/postgraduate/programs/pg_app.asp

For their LLB (still an undergrad award) you left out some minor aspects.

It's the "or equivalent" that is your best bet at shirking them using a UAI. Interesting that they would let you straight in with a research masters. But again that is for an undergraduate award.

If someone is truly wanting to do law they could do any undergraduate degree, finish off a Masters in that field in 1-2 years and just walk straight into law.

I still stand by my point that for a post graduate program any university that would use a UAI for entry requirements would be laughed at.

Edit: Statistically though you may have a bigger problem on your hands in getting decent marks in your first year or even finishing your first degree before getting to the stage where the way they calculate the transfer is an issue.
You are talking about post-graduate studies, graduate Law isn't a postgrad degree you're right. I think you're getting both of them confused. Yes post grad entry just looks at your bachelor degree results.

For USyd - Check the Law website, under Future Students, and FAQ (Undergraduate). It says explicitly that you will be assessed 25% UAI, 75% Tertiary because it is a bachelor degree and not a postgrad degree.
http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/law/FMPro?-DB=law.fp5&-FORMAT=b02.htm&code=b02a17&Max=1&-Find#g4

For UNSW - same thing, it doesnt say explicitly but several friends of mine graduating at the end of this year trying to apply for Graduate Law have enquired and they do assess you both UAI and tertiary results. In any case, if you have a UAI you'll be assessed on it "or equivalent" means you have an equivalent ranking score from High School

The websites you linked are for postgraduate law courses which require you to have already done an LLB. Graduate Law is different - means you are doing an LLB after you've already done another bachelor degree. I think you got a bit confused there, or we've had some miscommunication.

Summary - 25% UAI/75% tertiary for Graduate Law, Tertiary results for Higher Degrees

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Summary - 25% UAI/75% tertiary for Graduate Law, Tertiary results for Higher Degrees
Or a Masters in any field for automatic entry or a new test if your results are more than 8 years old :D

I would personally do a Masters if I had an average GPA undergrad, had a real bad UAI and desperately wanted to get into the LLB program at either University. But then again a year or so to do the Masters is an unacceptable amount of time to some people but you could very well be working at the same time making money and then coming back for some fun all cashed up.

viper1009

HSC2004 said:
I just saw on uac website:

1 Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT Multiple Choice). You must sit the test no later than Saturday 4 December 2004 to be guaranteed consideration for Main Round offers.

2 UAI (or equivalent), or a tertiary studies record.

(This is for pharmacy in USyd)

I have 2 questions bout this:

1) If i want to transfer in 2005, was I supposed to sit STAT this year (cos i didnt) or can I sit next year since I'm not doing pharmacy in 2004?

and

2) "UAI (or equivalent), or a tertiary studies record"------does that or mean they do not take 50% of your UAI and 50% of tertiary studies record---just one......or am I seeing things again?

thx for ur replys, been great help

... anyone?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
HSC2004 said:
... anyone?
http://www.pharm.usyd.edu.au/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/info.shtml

How do I apply?

Applications for entry into the Bachelor of Pharmacy must be lodged through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) by the last working day of September in the year preceding enrolment (or by late November with a late fee). Application forms may be found in the UAC Guide which may be purchased from newsagents. Applications may also be submitted online through the UAC website.(www.uac.edu.au).

Selection Criteria

Entry into the Bachelor of Pharmacy is competitive and based on a combination of the following:

Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). The STAT - which was designed by the Australian Council of Educational Research to assess verbal and quantitative reasoning skills - is administered by the UAC. As a guide, a minimum overall score of 149/200 has been required in recent years. It is important to register and sit the STAT as soon as possible and certainly before early December. Details about the STAT, including registration information, are available in the UAC Guide.

NSW HSC Universities Admission Index (UAI) or equivalent or a tertiary studies record. The UAI required for entry may vary from year to year but is expected to be above 90 for entry in 2005. A superior performance in at least one year of full-time tertiary study is usually expected from applicants with a tertiary record. As an indication, the standard required for a HECS place in 2004 was a minimum of a distinction average. The UAI will not be considered if a tertiary record for one or more years of full-time tertiary study is available.

Local fee-paying places are available. The required minimum UAI/tertiary rank for these places is up to five points below the cut-off for a HECS place. Fees for current students may be subject to annual increases consistent with increases in the consumer price index.
Sounds to me like
1) You need to go through UAC the year before you want to attend, you need to sit that exam to be even given an offer. If you don't sit the exam you won't be given the offer.
2) There are a lot of degrees not requiring 50/50 or 25/75 for transfers just your prior uni marks. It looks like this degree only requires prior uni marks.

It's not the 4th of December yet so get cracking booking yourself a STAT test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)