"Oh no, I only got 89! I'm so stupid..." (1 Viewer)

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Thats the bad thing. The HSC tests everything except for intelligence. It tests memory (english essays), and study habits.
I decided to go the true meaning of the HSC and i didnt memorise english essays, i didnt copy other peoples work, and didnt study more than i am prepared to work at university (comparatively), and i definelty didnt stress over my results.
I believe my approach is a lot like the moral approach in Survivor, you can be nasty early on and be guarnteed a top 2 finish, but you will never win the game.
Im building my skills for the future rather than building knowledge for one day in January. I know that a lot of 90+ students took my approach, but there was also alot who didnt, including people with poor sight.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
IF i got 89 i would be like wtf....

i got 82 in 2 subjects i was sooo happy with that. yes i find people who are like "omg i only got 91" really annoying, should be happy with the result

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
AHHHH! FUCK SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA OF PERSPECTIVE! JESUS CHRIST ON A STICK!

personally i did a subject for the SECOND time this year so i could turn my 85 into a 95. i was accelerated in this subject. i'm good at it. i should've creamed it. instead i got an 89. yes to some people that'd be cause to pop the cork but to me it is a wasted year which could've been spent focusing on my other subjects. HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS??

yeah if you're fine with early 80s or whatever good for you but personally i had higher expectations for myself

Gay Captain

HSC
89 is a good mark, but it will always be a painful one. I would be more disappointed by an 89 than an 88, because it's so close to a band 6. (stupid ancient history markers...)

Libbster

HSC
glycerine said:
AHHHH! FUCK SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA OF PERSPECTIVE! JESUS CHRIST ON A STICK!

personally i did a subject for the SECOND time this year so i could turn my 85 into a 95. i was accelerated in this subject. i'm good at it. i should've creamed it. instead i got an 89. yes to some people that'd be cause to pop the cork but to me it is a wasted year which could've been spent focusing on my other subjects. HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS??

yeah if you're fine with early 80s or whatever good for you but personally i had higher expectations for myself
Exactly, why try so hard and then not be rewarded. I studied so hard for physics, came out of the exam feeling that I did better than in the chem exam yet i got 89 in physics and 91 in chem. If I had got that little bit extra it would have boosted my uai up. It's all about perspective.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Lots of people set aims this year but not everyone set them really high. A lot missed their aim by 1 or 2, but they dont complain alot cos' they are glad they got close.
You have to remember that the only different between 89 and 90 in one mark. Its not a completly different mark. Its not the same as the different between 90 and 78, however its the same as the difference between 87 and 88.
Bands dont matter.

7th Sign

HSC
Gay Captain said:
89 is a good mark, but it will always be a painful one. I would be more disappointed by an 89 than an 88, because it's so close to a band 6. (stupid ancient history markers...)

yeah getting 89 sucks majior!!

especially when you feel your school ucked your internal marks up for you...

makes it very painful :(

happytreefriend

HSC
dani_danoz said:
That's excellent!
I did chem in year 11 and I must say that if I continued with chem (I dropped it at the start of year 12) I'd be stoked with 55 also. It is a very difficult subject.
chem is the suckiest suject in the world. i got 59 and am over the moon that i got over 50. i should have dropped it, but didnt. i know what ur saying about rubbing it in other peoples faces if u say ur great score is rubbish, but if u want to get into a course that needs a 90 and u get an 89, then ud be dissapointed, but if u worked ur hardest then u shouldnt regret it, cos its all u can do. plus like somone else said, there a 100's of path ways. Good luck , Merry christmas and happynew years to y'all ( i am so gangster)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
glycerine said:

If only we still had reputation.

Danoz The Great

HSC
zozo said:
i think you guys are missing the point...

if someone slogs their guts out all year and especially all holidays to get that 95% and they only get an 89... its a big letdown

im my opinion it all depends on how much work and effort you put in and also what you were expecting.

however... what u say is right... hsc is over yay.. no more can be done!

So, are you saying that those people who got band 4-5's (like me) didn't slog their guts out all year? Come off it.

I think you are missing the point. All I said was that it's incredible intimidating and disheartening to read others who have scored much higher, slamming their marks and being so disappointed with them.

edit: I can understand why 89 would suck, reading through this thread. I remember it happening to me for maths in year 10. But remember that bands are not equal to marks, meaning that a band is only a guide given by the board of studies and shouldn't be 'relied' on heavily.

Last edited:

Danoz The Great

HSC
what971 said:
Your rants mean nothing to me, and I shall bitch and bitch til BoS turns my two 89s into band 6ixes.
Go right ahead.
But considering that there are many other people in your predicament, you won't get very far at all.

jackal8

HSC
i got 88 for mod (i do acc.)

is there any way of em estimating my uai equivalent mark, or do i need more info.

i put it into JUAI and got it between 92 and 94... but im not sure i did it correct.

and yes i feel cheated... although im not in the 89 group, it hurts to miss out on that 90 mark

so painful

elisabeth

HSC
krabby_me said:
Lots of people set aims this year but not everyone set them really high. A lot missed their aim by 1 or 2, but they dont complain alot cos' they are glad they got close.
You have to remember that the only different between 89 and 90 in one mark. Its not a completly different mark. Its not the same as the different between 90 and 78, however its the same as the difference between 87 and 88.
Bands dont matter.
Well in the case of an 89, one extra mark would push you up into the best band and for some people, that lack of one mark kept them out of the 10+ band 6 units award.

In my case, it was English (89) that held me back and yeah, it was frustrating because I got band 6s in my other 10 units. Overall, I'm happy, but it shouldn't matter to anyone else (well, friends aside) whether a random person on the internet is happy with their marks or disappointed. Don't let our reactions dictate yours.

Everyone has their own standards and by your reasoning, nobody has the right to feel the tiniest bit annoyed because hey, how will the people who get <30 feel?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
everyone is of varying intelligences. i know people who are pissed off with 98.5 and rightly so because they are geniuses but i also know people who are over the moon with 88 because they arent geniuses.

rissa_101

littlebinzy said:
Dude, you show a complete lack of understanding. A good UAI is one that gets you into the course you want to do. Therefore an 89 is bad if you were set on a course that requires 90. In the same way, 75 can be awesome if you only want to get into a course that requires 70 or whatever.

i think that they were referring to the people who scrutinize over the difference between 95 and 96 as a mark for a particular course. Its fair enough to be disappointed if u miss out on ur UAI, whether its by 1 or 50 ... but a little bit of positive thinking about a mark in the 80's or 90's wouldnt hurt anybody.

nwatts

HSC
dani_danoz said:
I think you are missing the point. All I said was that it's incredible intimidating and disheartening to read others who have scored much higher, slamming their marks and being so disappointed with them.
You've brought this upon yourself. Realise that others' capabilities and expectations are different to your own.

rissa_101

i completely understand where dani is coming from. it isnt that everyones expectations should be the same...its just that whether people want to admit it or not...some people just want it all...like be thankful u didnt have something unfortunate happen during ur exams or u didnt get tonsilitis or something the day b4 exams started (like urs truly). Its all in the way ppl think, either positively or negatively, and havin a bit of pride in what u have achieved instead of focusing on what u havnt

nwatts

HSC
rissa_b said:
i completely understand where dani is coming from. it isnt that everyones expectations should be the same...its just that whether people want to admit it or not...some people just want it all...like be thankful u didnt have something unfortunate happen during ur exams or u didnt get tonsilitis or something the day b4 exams started (like urs truly). Its all in the way ppl think, either positively or negatively, and havin a bit of pride in what u have achieved instead of focusing on what u havnt
No it's not.

If you're a student capable of 99 and you get 89, you'll be incredibly disappointed, and rightfully so. You haven't achieved anywhere near your potential. Why should you be proud of that? It's not about thinking positively or negatively, it's about your expectations, whether they are valid or absurd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)