Oh My God Vfest (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
BECK!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love you and your tambourine man

seriously i want one
absolute highlight

phoenix were great, great crowd interaction (to say the least)
NYPC were a fun dance, but not very good on stage at all
the rapture were excellent! !!R!%!%#@one!21
i had a sneak preview of 2manydjs before this thursday and i am wetting my pants with excitement
then i went and saw the pixies who were very good. tame and planet of sound were highlights for me <3

icecreamdisco

HSC
eh, everything was meh overall and i seriously regretted paying for it.

...until the pixies came on, and life was good again. best festival show i've seen, srsly.

beck was dull, wtf? his voice wasn't in top shape and he seemed bored.
gnarls barkley was good, from what i saw
the rapture were surprisingly good considering i once called them the worst band making music
jarvis cocker was great
new york dolls were fun and sounding great for their age. david johansen's face is scary
nouvelle vague is good studying/chillout music but boring as batshit in a festival setting

that's all. i probably would've had a better time if i didn't go alone, and some cunt didn't run into me making me drop my $9 pad thai noodles.

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
also melimoo, your lack of enthusiasm toward the pixies' set compared to beck and the rapture is worrying.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
also melimoo, your lack of enthusiasm toward the pixies' set compared to beck and the rapture is worrying.
meh i used to be a huge fan but im less excited by them nowadays.
they were good, but i was kinda over it by the time they came

and i agree beck's voice/stage presence wasnt fantastic, but the performance as a whole was great! the dancing man. comeon!

icecreamdisco

HSC
yeah the dancer was good, so were the puppets and the dinner table percussion, but it all felt gimmicky. he was much better when i saw him in '03. and what was up with cellphone's dead? the song starts, then stops almost immediately with him doing a weak freestyle rap?

i was thinking i wasn't a big pixies fan anymore before the show, and was only going out of duty i guess, but their show made me realise why i fell in love with them all those years ago. every song was perfect and i sang along til my throat was sore. *sighs dreamily*

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Gnarls Buckley was ok but he got boring after a while for me. :(
And <3 Beck and the Pixies.
icecreamdisco said:
nouvelle vague is good studying/chillout music but boring as batshit in a festival setting
LIES!
Nouvelle Vague was orsum with Too Drunk To Fuck, especially when you're in front (as I was). Wooooh. I concede it would probably have been boring if you weren't close enough to the stage though.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
breaking said:
what costumes did gnarls wear?
tennis player outfit sans the cap and with gold necklace

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
personally i had a great fuckn time at v fest

The Rapture were the absolute highlight for me..i was right at the front and despite the complete fangirlishness that swamped moi i forget all of it when the band came on. had the crowd (a lot of "nu-raver" kids) dancing like sexy motherfuckers. highlight was W.A.Y.U.H which just went off and the crowdsurfing was a nice touch. they were so good that i actually missed out on jarvis! but i heard that he wasnt that great bar Cunts are Running the World.

The Pixies were surprisingly much better than i thought theyd be..i was right in the middle like 3 "rows" from the front so it was pretty intense but it was greatness. And yes i sang along like a drunken cunt to Where Is My Mind?

Beck was Beck. the set lacked intensity but i guess thats because he was ill..AND HE DIDNT PLAY SEXX LAWS!! loved the puppeters and HOW GOOD WAS THE WHOLE KITCHEN TABLE INSTRUMENTAL BIT. but it was good to see a lot of tracks from Odelay.

Phoenix were very tight and professional. clearly they know their strengths as a band and played to em well. NYPC were HOT HOT HOT. and how sexual is the keyboardist. i want her babies. Softlightes were boring.

annoyed i missed out on gnarls barkley though!

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Seeing the Pixies was honestly one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I don't think much could ever ever ever top that (apart from seeing Bowie, The Smiths or Depeche Mode). I was so surprised by how brilliant many of the songs were live that I had never been a HUGE fan of on record (Planet Of Sound, Subbacultcha, La La Love You). Well, really, they were all just so wonderful and orgasmic and amazing... I seriously was basically in tears the whole time and now I feel like my heart will explode because it's just too hard to come to terms with the fact that that is it... never again will I see that. Never. :(
The setlist was just perfect perfect perfect. The only other songs I would've loved to have heard because they're big faves were Dead and Cactus. Highlights were probably: Gigantic, Bone Machine, Vamos, Hey, Planet Of Sound, Where Is My Mind?, Debaser, Here Comes Your Man.... oh hell, they were all highlights. :eek:
I love Kim Deal even more now, she is just too sweet and adorable and cool and lovely and friendly and smiley all at once. It was so cute how she kept waving at everyone in the audience and she seemed genuinely quite taken aback by everyone chanting for her. <3

Beck was pretty awesome too. Although I thought that his energy seemed a little low, the act as a whole was brilliant. LOVED the puppets and the hilarious Bez-esque dancing man. <3

Jarvis was brilliant and adorable and lovely as usual. He was just as wonderful on the day as at his sideshow, and I just love that he's so commited to bringing the stage alive and putting on a unique and quirky spectacle (best dancing and thrusting/gyrating ever). Great between-songs-banter (loved his little gobstopper bit)! :D

New York Dolls were great and they certainly had a mile of energy and just really rocked it, HARD. :cool:

Phoenix were pretty good... I do get a little tired of them after a while though because their songs all sound quite similar.

I got so squished and now have terribly sore ribs due to being in about the fourth row, right in the centre, from Jarvis onwards... and eventually I got pushed right to the second row which was pretty amazing, being so close to Frank Black and Kim Deal! :eek:
I think I did pretty well to survive and hold my own though considering how small and fragile I am. :cool:

All in all it was a great day and the tickets were so worth the money; I would've paid that just to see the Pixies alone!
The drinks queues were phenomenally long, though, which put a bit of a dampener on the day because it seemed to make people quite irritable (I got into a bit of a tiff with a rude woman trying to push to the front).

EDIT: but actually one horrible thing was that I broke my braces (probably during the Pixies)! One of the brackets fell off at the back!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
libertine said:
man id die if they could get The Smiths to re-unite!
oh my god me too

im sad i wasnt more into the pixies. if only they came out about 2 years earlier i wouldve lost my mind (haha pun! almost)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i am disppointed that i didnt see the rapture, because everyone says how good they were, but gnarls barkley were way too much fun. they had a full band, who were all in white matching tennis outfits (props to the string quartet who managed coordinated dance moves whilst sitting down). the band came out first and i was like WHAT WHERE'S MF. but they started playing we are the champions and mf and ceelo came out in tennis outfits too (but with black vests instead of white) and hit balls into the crowd. ceelo (i dont even know if thats how you spell if but meh i cbf looking it up) was hilarious, and he has an AMAZING voice.

BECK BECK BECK BECK BECK BECK BECK BECK BECK. oh did i mention beck?
fuck. he played all the songs i love. Girl was the only track that i thought was flat, but i didnt care because i was having a grand ol time dancing and singing with mel and nick anyway. the puppets! the dinner party! i thought it was all ace. oh cept it wouldve been nice if he had started on time too. oh well. it was worth the wait.

New Young Pony Club were a little disappointing. maybe thats because i had waited for such a long time to see them and had such high expectations. whilst i recognise that they were never going to be fantastic given they only have 4 or 5 songs which all sound relatively similar anyway, i was so keen just to bust out to them. The lead singer was bitchy. and arrogant. everyone just wanted to hear icecream and when the crowd shouted it at her she shouted back "IF YOU'RE A GOOD BOY YOU'LL WAIT FOR DESSERT". the rest of the inbetween-songs time was spent whining about jetlag. ok cool.

I very much enjoyed Phoenix. they were fun. and danceable. and early during the day so the crowd werent fuckheads hahaha.

I went over to check out the petshop boys during the pixies set and had to leave early because i was being hit on by some strange guy with a weird accent who kept asking me about bodyboarders from wollongong. i later found out from the expert, i.e. tom, that this random was just name dropping the pros. yeah great. i ran away when he tried to shimmy his way on top of me.

I went back to the pixies who im sure i couldve appreciated much more if i knew more of their music. the songs i did know were ok, but by the end i was just waiting for them to stop because i was so cold and tired and had sore feet :eek:

i would like to take this opportunity to express my disgust at the crowd. i nearly got punched by a girl before beck. She came and was standing right infront of nick and mel and i (i mean i hate this enough. motherfuckers pushing their way infront of me and not going anywhere) and after 3 minutes she was like "oh im looking for my brother" when i replied with "no you're not" she went nuts "oh im not? how dare you fucking say that. how about you go into the crowd and look for my brother and tell me all about it BITCH" she then went nuts and started throwing elbows and got me in the chest. i moved back and she ran off to try and push further. when people didnt let her past she went nuts at them too. i suppose there was always going to be idiots there given the 35000 in attendance.

Last edited:

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
Born Dancer said:
New Young Pony Club were a little disappointing. maybe thats because i had waited for such a long time to see them and had such high expectations. whilst i recognise that they were never going to be fantastic given they only have 4 or 5 songs which all sound relatively similar anyway, i was so keen just to bust out to them. The lead singer was bitchy. and arrogant. everyone just wanted to hear icecream and when the crowd shouted it at her she shouted back "IF YOU'RE A GOOD BOY YOU'LL WAIT FOR DESSERT". the rest of the inbetween-songs time was spent whining about jetlag. ok cool.

QUOTE]
lol so much hate and that is a mad comeback!

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
haha man that girl was such a fucking bitch. if she hadnt have gone i wouldve fucked her shit up good. why doesnt your brother come out of the mosh and find you whore?
haha. apart from that the crowd wasnt too bad. not fantastic, but festivals are now being overrun by stupid shit people who heard that festivals were the new rave (mind you at the rapture i was dancing with these ravers. haha they looked awesome. so cool. i wanted to ask if their boots were heavy/hard to dance in, but i didnt want to sound rude:eek:)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
hahahaha. yeah but you didnt have some random try to shimmy his way into your pants :(

icecreamdisco

HSC
chelsea girl, agreed on all counts.

i'm kinda thinking that i probably would've enjoyed the other bands more had i been closer up front for their sets. the pixies were the only ones i went up the front for, which is why they were (...seemed?) so heads and shoulders above the rest of the bunch.

i also love how much they look like community theatre actors nowadays.

AND i should mention the utterly strange behaviour of the people around me during their set. some girl kissed me on back of my neck, and then laughed maniacally and ran away when i turned around, and a bunch of dudes were having a music-coordinated fake-fistfight to some of the songs.

ANDx2 i forgot to mention how FUCKING WEAK it is to put the pet shop boys - one of the best and most underappreciated pop bands of all time - on at the same time as the pixies. not just because it meant i missed them, but cos i had to put up with overhearing hundreds of IGNORANT "haha who'd choose the pet shop boys over the pixies?" comments from the (mostly terrible) festival-goers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)