Official Question 3 Thread - Change Response (1 Viewer)

clemtinite

Eh. I was a bit rushed for time on this one, which was a shame as I couldn't get round to using my second external text (1984).
Mine was very ordinary and so I expect very ordinary marks. I started with 'Good afternoon, thankyou for inviting me' etc. etc. and then I went into how change is part of the human condition, change is all around us, is universal, etc., etc., etc. and etc.
After talking about Alibrandi and Sky High I wrote out a lengthy analysis of the change involved in Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, using I's change in character through the dreams as the focus. If I get any marks at all in this part of the exam, it'll be due to that.

Yami

I messed up this section. My content was good as I knew my stuff, but the problem was that you needed top do it in speech form. I didn't. I did it in essay form *slaps forehead in stupidity* I hope the markers don't take off too many marks, I mean my essay does kinda sound like a speech.

DebuOfCourse

Originally posted by Bolkonski
I know this is pretty maticulous and pedantic but, the question was about a collection of works in a book yeah, so what if one of your owns texts was a film?. Will they disregard a film you talk about?
I managed to get 2 of my own in, and the other one was an actual text, e.g. written form, so its shouldnt matter than much.. just wondering.
That's a very good question in my opinion, not pedantic at all. I have to admit though, quite shamefully, that it never even occured to me. I figured that since the person giving the speech was talking about 'REPRESENTATIONS OF CHANGE' (as was the book's title) that the book was not a compilation of the actual texts but was rather about representations of change in various texts and in that consideration a film wouldn't be a problem at all.

I hope!! :(

DebuOfCourse

Originally posted by pri
hehe I did the screenplay thing too for my film, but I mentioned visual techniques pretending the audience had watched my film (plesantville)
A screenplay normally consists of visuals any way. I mean, it would describe breif director's....umm.....directions.
"dialouge dialouge dialouge" (camera sweeps down) "dialouge dialouge dialouge" etc etc.....

I'm pretty sure that's how it works so it's all good.

DebuOfCourse

Originally posted by dylan86
i'd just like to say that my prescribed text was a FILM (much ado about nothing) so I had no choice but to use a film as a text, so if u did i think it'll be ok
Good bloody point. :D

monkey187

God
HSC
yeh i had radiance as my prescribed text so i just assumed it was a collection of 'texts' not relating to any particular genre

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
i thought this section was ok, i ended up spending 55 minutes on it so i had to compensate my other sections

basically i began with a quote from my set text and i went stright into my argument/speech

when i saw it was a speech i felt soo sick, but it was lucky that that morning i had talked to my teacher and got some tips on speeches..

i only hav two regrets
one) not outlining my text at the beginning of the speech which pissed me off cause i realised half way through the speech, luckily i had linking sentences between all my texts so that kinda outline the texts for me, but i still think i't'd been better if i did it at the beginning
two) doing alibrandi as my set text i was EXTREMELY pissed of that i never mentioned her journey to emancipation anywhere.. omg..how could i forget... that is my biggest rgeret cause i had some really good things on it..
well in the end i got my set text, the door, and 2 related materials out, all discussed and techniques mentioned for each

i used a film as related text but i said it was just that ..a film.
i set my arena up as if all my texts were laid out in 'stalls' around the room and i'd direct ppl to glance at each as i spoke while they still hav a breif overview of each within a booklet that was passed to them. when i mentioned the film i directed them to look at a video playing behind them, and then to look at the synopsis within the booklet
i thought this way i wouldn't hav to manipulate my film into being a book itself..
oh well, i ended up writing quite a bit, and i belive the majoprity of it was content and there was some filler bullshit here and there cause i couldn't think properly.
anyways good luck everyone

lost shorti

HSC
N/A
about the concern of a film not being an appropriate text...i thought that 'representations of change' meant how ur text represent change...films can represent change through its cinematic techniques cant it? that was my argument and ooopsss..too bad if its wrong!
heads up n GOOD LUCK for the rest

DC10

for this question, there might be a bit of teacher debate about the use of the 'book launch'... but then a film, song, newspaper article is still considered as a 'text'. The question merely asks you to 'explain and assess the ways in which change is represented', write a speech AT a book launch... doesn't and shouldn't force you to use 'books' as your related texts, actually i think the BoS would want students to use a variety of texts in this section

regarding using 2 related texts as compared to using only 1. If the 2nd one is not covered well then using 1 is not much different. I have heard the teacher say after the exam that the BoS markers will only take into consideration of 1 related texts in the marking guidelines. But of course, if you used 2 and done really well in 2 to impress the markers, you should get a top mark :D

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
man.. i did so crap .. it was half way through my intro wen they said .. 10 mins left! . *soB*

whaddup03

HSC
man.. i did so crap .. it was half way through my intro wen they said .. 10 mins left! . *soB*
Atleast you got told there was 10 mins to go, our dudes just told us "pens down".
yeah in the trial the teacher told me to give give it a little touch, i did that, but in this exam i ran out of time. I didn't get to finish my second related material and obviously my conclusion, very unahppy about that:(

Last edited:

apollo

Originally posted by lost shorti
about the concern of a film not being an appropriate text...i thought that 'representations of change' meant how ur text represent change...films can represent change through its cinematic techniques cant it? that was my argument and ooopsss..too bad if its wrong!
heads up n GOOD LUCK for the rest
exactly buddy :)

adah

Argh I usually love this questions and that one was really easy but I just couldnt get my speech to flow. It just wasnt working for me. So meh I'll lose marks for fluency...this is the only part of the exams I havent been happy with

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i regret not reading the question properly and only assessing in my conclusion :(

about the 2 related texts things, i think the markers say doing 2 texts allows you to better explore the concept of change in a variety of texts and media. doing one kinda restricts your scope. thats the only disadvantage, so if you did 2 but they were bs, then i'd rather just do one in depth and do it well

Leebee85

This question was great! I felt good at the end of it and managed to fill the book up, I wrote mostly on my 2 Harwood poems.

Creator Failure

I did question 5: Changing Self and thought it was a nice broad question! I used Sally Morgan's 'My Place' for my prescribed text, Sky High from the Stimulus Booklet, and two related texts: the film, 'Big Wednesday' and a D.H Lawrence poem, 'A Winter's Tale'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)