• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Offers Questions (1 Viewer)

black_raven777

HSC
Hey all,

I'm a sydneysider, interested in studying medicine, and I'm a little confused about the offer system. I thought UAC only gave you 1 each round, but I've heard of people being offered more than 1 and having to choose - Is medicine different in this way?

Would I be right in saying that I could list my preferences as
1. Newcastle
2. UNSW
3. UWS
and if I do well enough I get an offer to all three and then I can choose which I want?

If that's the case, does order of preference on the UAC sheet matter for medicine? I did hear that Newcastle only considers people who place their uni first - is that true?

wow, lots of questions,
thanks,

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Hey,

you're right in thinking that UAC only gives you the top preference that you made it into. When you hear of people having to choose it's probably because they got offers from med courses in other states. For example, I submitted university applications to VTAC and QTAC (victoria and queensland tertiary admission centres, respectively) and subsequently got offers from monash and UQ - In the end I choose UNSW.

Basically, you can choose between individual offers you recieve from admissions centres in different states but individual admissions centres will, generally, only give you the top preference you made it into. I say generally because for those with truly stellar marks you can get bizarre offers, scholarships and whatnot, coming in from all over the joint.

Given the above, order of preference certainly does matter for medicine because you need to put the course you want most at the top of the list. Don't put something at the top simply because it has the highest entry requirements. This generates a situation of 'having to choose' because you need to decide which course you would most like to do in any given state.

Also, as far as I know preference order doesn't, and shouldn't, affect your standing with a university. If, for example, you were to have

1. UNSW
2. Newcastle

and you satisfied the newcastle requirements and not the ones for UNSW you could expect to receive an offer from newcastle.

I hope that helps.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
I have a feeling that (for all courses/unis) if you don't meet the requirements for the uni on the top of the list, your app goes to the next one down - but the next uni doesn't actually know that you had someone else before them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)