off to work (after HSC) (1 Viewer)

OS

Banned
HSC
Is anyone out there going into full-time work after Year 12??? For example for on-the-job traineeships (e.g. retail management) etc. Anyone not planning to do MORE study??????

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i did

i went into an accounting traineeship, and i go to uni as well

lei

HSC
I'm working full time without study and i dont regret it one bit

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I am... sadly working full time and studying full time. I don't regret it... yet.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
how did u get into that Emily?
Applications have currently closed, however if you're interested you can email the HR contacts personally with your cover letter (don't forget to mention why you love accounting, even if you don't) & resume.

If you want more info, ask away. However this website should help you: FlyHigher

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I did it and I'm still not sure whether or not it was the right decision not to take up the uni degree or TAFE. At the moment I'm saving to travel, but work is so horribly boring and it's quite difficult to adjust to the office environment.

But it has made me aware of how much I dislike corporate offices and has made me more determined to get a better job and study further.

OS

Banned
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
I did it and I'm still not sure whether or not it was the right decision not to take up the uni degree or TAFE. At the moment I'm saving to travel, but work is so horribly boring and it's quite difficult to adjust to the office environment.

But it has made me aware of how much I dislike corporate offices and has made me more determined to get a better job and study further.
Did you just go to work to save for travel or because you thought further study was not for you?? Everyone seems to want to put off full-time work for as long as possible, but why waste time doing any old course/ degree if ur not really interested/capable.... Even though it is the ''way to succeed''. I can't wait to get into the workforce - no more exams! Only I will miss the many holidays you get when studying compared to at work! 4 weeks a year - NOT ENOUGH!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I went into full-time employment becasue I was totally confused about what I wanted to do with my life. I got into all the courses I wanted, but when it came down to deciding, I felt that I needed the time to get my shit together and work out what I really wanted.

So partially 'cause I didn't want to commit to something I was unsure about and partially because $$$ = overseas.

I found (and am still finding) that full time work is really hard to get used to. All my life I've been at school from 9-3 and I was always with friends, holidays four times a year... now it's 9-5, I hate the other colleagues/supervisors, 4 weeks holiday only and I'm not really enjoying the actual job- I find it mind-numbingly boring.

So I'm now looking into part-time courses and stuff to keep me occupied 'cause I can't handle being bored all the time.

ChrisE

HSC
im working fulltime after deferring my uni and i think its the best thing ive ever done. you cant gain real life experience in a classroom nor save up money you need for uni texts and etc so work for a year was the logical choice for me. plus i have lots of money and time to play with whilst the 18 year old novelty is still present.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
OS said:
Did you just go to work to save for travel or because you thought further study was not for you?? Everyone seems to want to put off full-time work for as long as possible, but why waste time doing any old course/ degree if ur not really interested/capable.... Even though it is the ''way to succeed''. I can't wait to get into the workforce - no more exams! Only I will miss the many holidays you get when studying compared to at work! 4 weeks a year - NOT ENOUGH!
I was exactly the same as you, I thought stuff uni, I wanna get out there working and earning money. But after thinking about it, I decided to go to uni for 3 main reasons:

1. I have no idea what job I would do if I went straight into full-time work, so by doing a uni degree it may help me decide what I want to do.
2. Like you, I absolutely HATED the idea of only getting 4 weeks holiday a year. It's just bullshit, working 9-5 every single weekday means u get hardly any time at home to yourself. <3 uni, 5-6 months hols a year! It's almost like doing uni part-time, only it's classified as full-time
3. I love money, and with a degree I can get a much better paying job than if I only have my HSC.

And yeah, basically I just think there will be more job opportunities, as well as more interesting jobs I could get, once I finish uni.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm going to uni full time, which turns out to be about 4 days a week. I'm working part time which is pretty much 2 days a week plus sometimes on the days I have uni, either before I go to uni or after I get home.

ChrisE

HSC
you people are smarter than most of these i know everything but know nothing uni students. working is so valuable to your cv and there is no rush to study, do it when you want and feel its time. working full time does suck and then i think of uni and how easy it is with the hours and holidays, it can only be a good thing for your character doing the 9-5 (or in my case 9-6 most days) grind for a while and then going to uni later with an appreciation of student life.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
ChrisE said:
working full time does suck and then i think of uni and how easy it is with the hours and holidays, it can only be a good thing for your character doing the 9-5 (or in my case 9-6 most days) grind for a while and then going to uni later with an appreciation of student life.
Absolutely. :uhhuh:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
one of my best friends decided at the end of yr 12 that she would rather get a full time job, and work her way up in a company, than go to uni. Anyway, all was going well at first, she got a job as a vet nurse (which is what she wanted to do), and she worked for 6 months, and she had to quit, because her boss was an absolute asshole to her. Now, i think the novelty of work has worn off for her, and i think she's going back to uni. That's just her story. Another friend of mine went to uni, and has now dropped out because he couldn't handle it any more.

I think that if you are not suited to uni, then you will find it hell, and for some people it is better if they go to tafe, or do an apprenticeship. Besides, you can go to uni any time. You have to work out what is right for you, and you can only do that through trying different pathways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)