Obtaining Haemoglobin (1 Viewer)

soulshine_jb

HSC
N/A
Has any one done this report. First I need to reseacrh 3 current methods of artificial blood production. Here are the 3 artifial blood production;

1) Human Blood Donation

2) Synthesis in the laboratory

3) Recombinant DNA Techonology

I have no clue what they are except for human blood donation. Has anyone got the answer...............

soulshine_jb

HSC
N/A
I know whats Recombinat DNA Techonology is a DNA that has been created artificially...but i need more info for it, Now i need to know whats Synthesis in the laboratory is....

kow_dude

HSC
3 current methods of artificial blood:

1) Human Blood Donation
“Human Blood Donation” is self-explanatory. Services such as the Australian Red Cross, encourages individuals to donate blood for various reasons such as for those unable to produce white blood cells.

See http://www.giveblood.redcross.org.au/Donor/aboutblood/howused.asp for a range products extracted from blood.

2) Synthesis in the laboratory
There are two types of synthesized blood: Perfluorochemicals and Haemoglobin-based oxygen carriers,
Perfluorochemicals are free of biological materials such as lipids which makes them advantageous in mixing up with anyone’s blood stream without the fuss of matching blood types. They carry 50 times more oxygen than ordinary blood plasma.
Haemoglobin-based oxygen carriers (HBOCs), are made from haemoglobin extracted from red blood cells. HBOCs do not contain a membrane. This membrane contains the antigens that determine the blood type. Therefore, HBOCs allows immediate use such as victims in a severe car accident who is suffering blood loss.

3) Recombinant DNA Techonology
I'm not too sure what "Recombinant DNA Techonlogy" has got to do anything with the production of artificial blood. From my understanding, Recombinant DNA Techonlogy is a method in which we recombine DNA segments. I can only think the reason why it is relevant to the 'artificial blood' topic is that the technology can be used to produce organisms that can now generate haemoglobin, whose parents lacked the ability to do so.

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
Please feel free to post more questions. Apparently, i'm a biology tutor and your questions are good revision for me!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kow_dude said:
Please feel free to post more questions. Apparently, i'm a biology tutor and your questions are good revision for me!
kow_dude has basically covered the first two methods. For the recombinant DNA techology, I think it is referring to manipulating the expression of undifferentiated cells to become blood cells. so you can created "artificial blood" if you like.

kow_dude

HSC
Survivor39 said:
... manipulating the expression of undifferentiated cells to become blood cells....
Has that been done in reality? Sounds like a fantasy to me!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Theoretically stem cells can differentiate into everything. A small focus of my lab (the lab I'm working in during the summer) is to try to control the expression of human embryonic stem cells so that we can differentiate them into what we want them to become, and not differentiating randomly.

Maybe it is possible in the future for artificial blood! :)

kow_dude

HSC
So it is possible to produce a specific blood type using Recombinant DNA Techonology?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kow_dude said:
So it is possible to produce a specific blood type using Recombinant DNA Techonology?
Theoretically :D

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
I thought i better step in and give you a helping hand. You are way off MAN!!! the key word is "artificial" You need to find alternatives to using blood. That is anything but human blood. There are several alternatives out there. But i strongly suggest for you not to use the ones that are mentioned. Show me what other ideas you come up with and i will steer you in the right direction. Cheers, Bobby 2004.

kow_dude

HSC
bobby2004 said:
I thought i better step in and give you a helping hand. You are way off MAN!!! the key word is "artificial" You need to find alternatives to using blood. That is anything but human blood. There are several alternatives out there. But i strongly suggest for you not to use the ones that are mentioned. Show me what other ideas you come up with and i will steer you in the right direction. Cheers, Bobby 2004.
What are you on about? You dont even support your meaningless statements.

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
OK. Lets start again.

No matter how you look at the question, it is asking for ALTERNATIVES to blood. An alternative means anything but blood, but something that has the same role to play in the human body. i.e. carries and transports oxygen.

Recombanent DNA could work, but you are really creating human blood through means of DNA. So that does not answer the question.

Hence, human blood donation is also out of the question because it is not an alternative.

I suggest you focus on the 'creation in a labrotory' side of things. We are looking for something artificial.

Hope this helps you further and is not meaningless.

kow_dude

HSC
Recombinant DNA Techonology was part of the 3 artificial bood production has mentioned by the original poster. And yes, it is an "alternate" way of producing blood and it's part of the artificial methods of blood production. [I can see that you in the perspective of thinking of a completely different substance that performs the same function as ordinary blood.]

Cade

HSC
kow_dude said:
Recombinant DNA Techonology was part of the 3 artificial bood production has mentioned by the original poster. And yes, it is an "alternate" way of producing blood and it's part of the artificial methods of blood production. [I can see that you in the perspective of thinking of a completely different substance that performs the same function as ordinary blood.]
wow..Is that why the term "artificial blood" can be misleading?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)