kevin101

HSC
hey
whats the oblique asymptote for y=x^3/ x+1
The answer is supposed to be y=x^2-x+1

O yea working please. Thanks

xV1P3R

HSC
You would do this by long dividing x³ by (x+1), but since I don't know how to type it up here, i'll do it the long way
y = x³/(x+1)
y = (x³ + x² - x²)/(x+1)
y = x² - (x²)/(x+1)
y = x² - (x² + x - x)/(x+1)
y = x² - x + (x)/(x+1)
y = x² - x + (x+1-1)/(x+1)
y = x² - x + 1 - 1/(x+1)........................You can get this result much quicker with long division
Whatever isn't a part of the fraction is your asymptote. You can do this with any function eg.
y = x/(x+1)
y = (x+1-1)/(x+1)
y = 1 - 1/(x+1)
Giving you a horizontal asymptote of y = 1

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
hey
whats the oblique asymptote for y=x^3/ x+1
The answer is supposed to be y=x^2-x+1

O yea working please. Thanks
that's not called an oblique asymptote

if u have, say: y = 2x^3 -3x^2 +5 /(x^2-2x)

= 2x + 1 + (2x+5)/(x^2-2x)

then u have an oblique (slant) asymptote: y = 2x + 1

The asymptote is a straight line

To have an oblique asymptote, you need the numerator polynomial to have a degree of 1 higher than that of the denominator polynomial.

Last edited:

kevin101

HSC
ok i get it. thanks
I usually use limits and then i divide by the highest power. but it didnt work for this question.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That wouldn't work. You'd need to divide it out first.

jet

Banned
HSC
ok i get it. thanks
I usually use limits and then i divide by the highest power. but it didnt work for this question.
That is only useful if the degree of the denominator ≥ degree of the numerator.

kevin101

HSC
ok i see. so if the highest degree of the denominator is greater than or equal to the highest degree of the numerator i should use the limits method

and if the highest degree of the numerator is greater than the highest degree on the denominator i use long division.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
You could also do this:

Pardon me jetblack2007 - my LaTeX isn't working at all =/

Last edited by a moderator:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
There also another way by "inspection" to determine horizontal asymptotes.

If the degree on the numerator is equal to the degree on the denominator then a horizontal asymptote exists.

Its equation is:

jet

Banned
HSC
I'm going to move this to the 4-unit forums.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Why? This stuff is well within the scope of the Ext 1 Maths course...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yes but that was just an aside. The topic is about finding oblique asymptotes in curve sketching, which is a part of the Extension 1 course.

jet

Banned
HSC
Actually, the 3 unit syllabus only ever mentions horizontal and vertical asymptotes, never oblique asymptotes, and I have never found a 3 unit question which asks for oblique asymptotes.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Actually, the 3 unit syllabus only ever mentions horizontal and vertical asymptotes, never oblique asymptotes, and I have never found a 3 unit question which asks for oblique asymptotes.
I would still recommend 3U students to go through this because I've seen a few questions asked in assessments and trials of schools.

However, I haven't ever seen them in 4U exams.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Cambridge 3U book Year 11 introduces the concept of oblique asymptotes using limits. Although it is not relevant, it teaches it nonetheless.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Interesting. Specifically how does the Year 11 Cambridge book introduce oblique asymptotes using limits?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
divide everything by highest power of x. take limit of x going to infinity.
:S But that would yield no limit if the degree of the leading term on the numerator is higher than the degree of the leading term on the denominator... (ie. when an oblique asymptote exists).

jet

Banned
HSC
What the syllabus states and what the authors decide to include in their textbooks are are not mutually inclusive in my opinion.

For example, Cambridge 3 unit teaches implicit differentiation which is not required in the 3 unit course, and is not stated in the syllabus.

Even then, in the Cambridge book, the authors acknowledge that Oblique asymptotes are not appropriate to be covered in depth and are only included for interest. It is on page 104 of the Year 11 book for those who would like to confirm this.

shaon0

HSC
I would still recommend 3U students to go through this because I've seen a few questions asked in assessments and trials of schools.

However, I haven't ever seen them in 4U exams.
lol haha. This is coming from the guy that told ppl to study for non-uniform circular motion.

What the syllabus states and what the authors decide to include in their textbooks are are not mutually inclusive in my opinion.

For example, Cambridge 3 unit teaches implicit differentiation which is not required in the 3 unit course, and is not stated in the syllabus.

Even then, in the Cambridge book, the authors acknowledge that Oblique asymptotes are not appropriate to be covered in depth and are only included for interest. It is on page 104 of the Year 11 book for those who would like to confirm this.
Yeah, in the extension questions and some intermediate questions of Cambridge yr11 and 12. The author introduces power series and other uni topics which aren't ever studied in high school.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)