Obama or Osama? (1 Viewer)

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
this article from the smh makes interesting reading

Spot the difference
Staff reporters
January 4, 2007 - 4:52PM

US news broadcaster CNN has apologised to a US senator after confusing him with al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
CNN had put together a news report on the search for the US's most wanted individual and was promoting it during Wolf Blitzer's program The Situation Room.

However, instead of the headline: "Where's Osama?", the broadcaster ran "Where's Obama?"

Osama is wanted for masterminding terrorist attacks on the US, including the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen and the airliner attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

Barack Obama is a Democrat senator from Illinois, who is giving New York senator Hillary Clinton a run for her money in the race for party nomination as presidential candidate for 2008, although he is yet to announce if he will stand.

CNN blamed the mistake on an error by the graphics department and Blitzer apologised to Obama during his program the following day.

However, the graphics department did have prior warning about the potential for confusion from their own station, with CNN running a news story in December on the trouble the senator's name could cause some people.

The senator not only has a last name that sounds like the world's most wanted man and a first name that sounds like Iraq, but he shares a middle name with one of the United States' former most-wanted men, Saddam Hussein.

A spokesman for Barack Hussein Obama said the senator accepted CNN's apology.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/spot-the-difference/2007/01/04/1167777208652.html
i have doubts over whether it was due to some technical problem. i recall a similar incident on fox news when they labelled mark foley, the guy accused of the sexual harrasment or whatever it was, a democrat, when he's a republican - and this was all a short time before the congressional elections

what do you people think?

Last edited:

Optophobia

HSC
I remember one story, where a black dudes last name was "niger", but they put 2 G's instead of 1 on the name/title panel.

ZabZu

HSC
I can imagine Fox News making that sort of mistake, not CNN.

I heard about that mistake with Foley, on the daily show with Jon Stewart. He really gives Fox a tough time.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
ZabZu said:
I can imagine Fox News making that sort of mistake, not CNN.

I heard about that mistake with Foley, on the daily show with Jon Stewart. He really gives Fox a tough time.
Thats because FOX news is BIASED in every way possible.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
Thats because FOX news is BIASED in every way possible.
Fox leans slightly right and nowhere near to the degree CNN or the BBC lean to the left, MSNBC is probably the most balanced of the whole bunch, but there is far more balance in Fox then there is on CNN or BBC.

Anyway Obama, Osama whats the difference, both will make the western world worse off if given the opportunity.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:
Fox leans slightly right and nowhere near to the degree CNN or the BBC lean to the left, MSNBC is probably the most balanced of the whole bunch, but there is far more balance in Fox then there is on CNN or BBC.

Anyway Obama, Osama whats the difference, both will make the western world worse off if given the opportunity.

nah man NpR news.

Mumma

HSC
bshoc said:
Fox? Slightly to the right?? Are you on drugs mate?? :confused: I would say its degree of bias (in a differnt direction, ofcourse) is just a little bit less than that of Al-Manar's, Hezbollahs television station. And what makes it worse is the fact that FOX claims to be fair and balanced!

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Mumma said:
Fox? Slightly to the right?? Are you on drugs mate?? :confused: I would say its degree of bias (in a differnt direction, ofcourse) is just a little bit less than that of Al-Manar's, Hezbollahs television station. And what makes it worse is the fact that FOX claims to be fair and balanced!
"Slightly" to the right, relative to how much most of the other news networks (CNN, BBC) lean to the left.

And yes I'd watch Fox over CNN or the BBC anyday, because if I'm going to be fed mis-information or agenda journalism it might as well be the one thats positive about the western world and isn't a self-dilusioned hypocritical leftist retardfest.

When I want to watch the news however, I'll probably turn to MSNBC or even our own Sky.

HSC
bshoc said:

You're not American.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)