• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Oasis (1 Viewer)

Semicolon

HSC
Firstly... lady GaGa has even garnered respect from people in the metal community... THE hardest community to garner respect in. She writes her own music, LIVES her art, and her art is a parody of all things pop.

Secondly... Yea Oasis are good, but you're doing music 2 right? You need to expand your horizons beyond bad 90s, Beatle Copying rock. Porcupine Tree, Snow Patrol, TV on the Radio, The Middle East, Blue Foundation, Feist, Gomez, Khin Myint, Muse, Radiohead, The Raconteurs, Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths, Something for Kate, Sufjan Stevens - have all produced amazing stuff in the last few years... and that's just a quick list off the top of my head, without even cycling through iTunes...
This just reads like a massive..."look at how awesome my taste in music post" and you kinda look like a bit of an idiot because of it. And because you've taken it upon yourself to patronise some poor girl who's only 15 or 16. I loved Oasis when I was 15, I wouldn't be surprised if you loved Oasis when you were 15, she'll discover better music as she gets older. That's how it works. Not need to be so condescending.

Now just to completely contradict myself and act like a total prick.

- Any list that includes Snow Patrol as an artist that has produced 'amazing stuff in the last few years' loses any musical credibility.

- And you're telling her to broaden her horizon from bad 90s rock, yet you list Smashing Pumpkins, who made great stuff in the 90s, but if you think Billy Corgon (not Smashing Pumpkins no matter what he says)and his travesty of an album, which is the only Smashing Pumpkins record released in the last few years, was amazing stuff you've regressed past anyone who thinks Don't Believe the Truth was a good album.

And massive LOL at you listing The Smiths. I don't reckon that a band that hasn't released an album in decades is producing some 'amazing stuff in the last few years'. Morrisey may still be releasing great stuff. But reports I remember reading last year that said The Smiths were being offered 50 million to reform and do 3 UK gigs (I'm not positive about the exact money or number of gigs) suggests that there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Morrisey and The Smiths.

I know I'm being pedantic. But if you stop being a condescending dick, I'll stop being pedantic.

Deal?

Deal.

------------------------------------

And on topic. Oasis is a very very average band.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
This just reads like a massive..."look at how awesome my taste in music post" and you kinda look like a bit of an idiot because of it.
That's nice dear...

I loved Oasis when I was 15, I wouldn't be surprised if you loved Oasis when you were 15, she'll discover better music as she gets older. That's how it works. Not need to be so condescending.
I thought oasis were just as average then as they are now. I had discovered some amazing artists at 15...

- Any list that includes Snow Patrol as an artist that has produced 'amazing stuff in the last few years' loses any musical credibility.
Go and listen to Lifeboats and The Lightning Strike from "A Hundred Million Suns".

- And you're telling her to broaden her horizon from bad 90s rock, yet you list Smashing Pumpkins, who made great stuff in the 90s, but if you think Billy Corgon (not Smashing Pumpkins no matter what he says)and his travesty of an album, which is the only Smashing Pumpkins record released in the last few years, was amazing stuff you've regressed past anyone who thinks Don't Believe the Truth was a good album.
True... Pumpkins haven't released anything good in the last decade, this is true.

And massive LOL at you listing The Smiths. I don't reckon that a band that hasn't released an album in decades is producing some 'amazing stuff in the last few years'. Morrisey may still be releasing great stuff. But reports I remember reading last year that said The Smiths were being offered 50 million to reform and do 3 UK gigs (I'm not positive about the exact money or number of gigs) suggests that there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Morrisey and The Smiths.
Also true yes, Didn't mean to put those two in the context of "past few years"... my bad... may have been running on 2 hours sleep at the time.

I know I'm being pedantic. But if you stop being a condescending dick, I'll stop being pedantic.
No deal (Crosses arms)...

Be pedantic all you want, I don't mind... A polished turd is still a turd, and I'm going to point out the turds from the diamonds ALL I want...:uhhuh:

Semicolon

HSC
Go and listen to Lifeboats and The Lightning Strike from "A Hundred Million Suns".
I actaully downloaded this album soon after it came out off the back of the buzz I was hearing about The Lightning Strike and because I'd been informed that earlier Snow Patrol stuff (pre Chasing Cars) wasn't anywhere near as shit.

What a mistake that was. I listened to it once, thought it was crap. Left the album on rotation in my library for a fortnight, listened to it again and still hated it. So I deleted it.

The Lightning Strike was ambitious in that any 16 minute song is going to be ambitious. But it's also awful because they don't do anything different on it - it's just a 16 minute long Snow Patrol song. YAWN.

All of that is beside the point though. I don't doubt that you have good taste in music (Snow Patrol aside), my point was that you were being a dick. You should've just stated your opinion on the band and moved on. Speaking of which here is me moving on...

kirbflare

HSC
when an xfactor contestant produces a cover thats exponentially better than your original..

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I actaully downloaded this album soon after it came out off the back of the buzz I was hearing about The Lightning Strike and because I'd been informed that earlier Snow Patrol stuff (pre Chasing Cars) wasn't anywhere near as shit.

What a mistake that was. I listened to it once, thought it was crap. Left the album on rotation in my library for a fortnight, listened to it again and still hated it. So I deleted it.

The Lightning Strike was ambitious in that any 16 minute song is going to be ambitious. But it's also awful because they don't do anything different on it - it's just a 16 minute long Snow Patrol song. YAWN.

All of that is beside the point though. I don't doubt that you have good taste in music (Snow Patrol aside), my point was that you were being a dick. You should've just stated your opinion on the band and moved on. Speaking of which here is me moving on...
Wow... a couple of listening... really hard listen there.

I watched them play it live... and only then will you realise the true complexity of the instrumentation of the song. Sometimes Triple Percussion, Sometimes triple piano... rhythms of triplets in 4/4 against duplets and quadruplets in 6/8... 4 part vocal harmony. Triple repeating cyclic structure... Don't see those very often.

And I don't care If I was being a dick... I was right :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)