o Role of courts, tribunals and the employment advocate (1 Viewer)

coolcapsicum

HSC
can someone help me with these parts of the syllabus..
o Role of courts, tribunals and the employment advocate
o Arguments for and against the current mix of market and non-market forces used to determine the returns to labour

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Since the whole IR system is a mess its a bit hard to address all of those, but

for the 1st point talk about the AFPC and the AIRC, their roles in setting min standards and solving industrial disputes. I think the employment advocate got replaced or renamed or sumthing,

for the 2nd point just the strong opposition of Workchoices + exploitation is probably enough to cover it. Perhaps the unions too and their influence.

I really doubt they'd examine this in the HSC coz its so all over the place - we're in this IR "transition" mode and the examiners would have to accept a whole range of answers on it - too much of a hassle.

coolcapsicum

HSC
thanks .. that cleared up things.. a bit anyway..

i hope we don't get examined on this in the HSC.. !

coolcapsicum

HSC
the employment advocate was replaced by workplace authority in 2007

but i'm still not too sure about the second point

could u please elaborate?

munchiecrunchie

HSC
some people argue that workchoices was necessary to deregulate the labour market, have greater flexibility and drive down the cost of labour to make us more internationally competitve and more productive.

others however see WorkChoices as not properly protecting the rights of workers and hence market failure occurs through the exploitation of labour. Unions have had a significant role in lobbying and putting forward these arguments to the parliament and ultimately were able to see their views upheld. Further, unions take part in the bargaining process and are a non-market force that can determine the price of labour. There are also differing views on the usefulness of unions.

Hope that helped.

coolcapsicum

HSC
yes that helped thank you soo much

sorry for being a pain

one last bit of clarification

would work choices be the market force. and unions the non-market?

vmoore

HSC
coolcapsicum said:
can someone help me with these parts of the syllabus..
o Role of courts, tribunals and the employment advocate
o Arguments for and against the current mix of market and non-market forces used to determine the returns to labour
ok, i think i can help...

for the first we have:

The WorkPlace Authority - Checks agreements and passes them only if they pass the no disadvantage test and do not infringe on the national employment standars (of which there are ten). These agreements can be either individual or certified agreements.
- secondly the WPA does NOT arbitrate on new decisions, they are ONLY involved AFTER an agreement has been made between management and employees.
- If it is a colective agreement they make the majority of workers agree.

Industrial Relations Commision - Main job is to arbitrate on disputes arising over existing agreements but it does not have the authority to fine or prosocute.
- no longer sets new wage deals : wpa job.
- irc makes orders to go to federal court

Federal Court - they impose fines, prosocute for disuputes such as unfair dismissals ect.

Fairpay commision - they really have nothing to do with disuptes but increase safety net

i dnot think employment advocate exists anymore

and the second one is prettymuch exactly the same as centralised v decentralised.

market - greater efficiency.. profits up
non-market - greater equity (equal distrobution of income garbage)

so thoes arguments are pretty much efficiency v equity. should be in texts books... but the stuff before is new.

can they ask it... ? yes. will they.... i doubt it.
too many grey points.

but i storngly recommend learning it cos noone knows it.

if you have more qs,just ask.

vmoore

HSC
coolcapsicum said:
yes that helped thank you soo much

sorry for being a pain

one last bit of clarification

would work choices be the market force. and unions the non-market?
No. workchoices no longer exists. but close.

market forces are pretty much.. um... efficiency, wage deals to lower wages so firms win.

non-market is the saftey net or possible award (had it in like 1970s or something) which is an increase in wage yearly. greater equity...

so like i said before. look at is as efficiency v equity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)