NUS Blacklists Uni's (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Students name universities they say will force them to pay for services

Students have created a national blacklist of universities that will not cover their support services next year, and are encouraging 2007 starters to boycott the worst offenders.

The University of Newcastle and UTS are among those targeted by the National Students Union in the "name and shame" campaign, to persuade universities to cover the costs of services previously paid for by compulsory student fees.

Voluntary student unionism comes into effect next month.

The union's president, Rose Jackson, said students planning to begin study next year should choose their institutions after examining the list, which divided universities into four categories.

"We're telling them to look at the top of the list. Go to University of Melbourne, ANU, or in NSW I would suggest UNSW, as campuses that can be pretty well guaranteed [to] have access to help if they need it and there will be clubs and societies," she said.

There was scope for universities to move up or down the list depending on what happened between now and when HSC students chose their courses later this year, she said.

The campaign has provoked an angry response from universities, three of which threatened to suspend negotiations with their student organisations unless they were moved up the list, after receiving leaked copies.

Two of those universities had since made commitments allowing their promotion, but one was removed from the list altogether, Ms Jackson said. She would not name it because the student organisations feared reprisals.

The University of Newcastle Vice Chancellor, Nick Saunders, said he had been in discussions with students and the university "was not in any way trying to get rid of student organisations". He could "absolutely" guarantee next year's students would have the same services as this year's.

Jeff Fitzgerald, registrar at UTS, said the university was "strongly committed to funding the services" and it was unfair to punish universities for VSU. "We're not magicians. We can't print money out," he said.

The University of Newcastle and UTS are among universities that have invoiced students for the next six months of union fees before the legislation comes into effect in July. Newcastle is in the lowest of four categories and UTS is in the third.
what about the students who are irate about the fact that UNSW will charge them semester 2 union fees if they do so before July 1!?!

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Ms. Jackson should just shut the fuck up. END PERSONAL RANT. :/

Also USyders had to pay for Sem 2 as well, feel the burn. :)

EDIT: We should make a Dreamerish fan club.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The union's president, Rose Jackson, said students planning to begin study next year should choose their institutions after examining the list, which divided universities into four categories.
Worst advise ever. 06ers, please dont make the mistake of doing that.

what971 said:
Ms. Jackson should just shut the fuck up.
Heh, i agree. I find her quite annoying.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Rose Jackson's blacklist is pretty pointless as the university funding arrangements are temporary...6 months ain't really gonna have that much of an effect.

jpr333

HSC
Err what are the intangible services i'm getting for my $600 of union fees this year?

And how does Rose expect to maintain "services" for next year without compulsory union fees, make it user pay in the sense that you have to join the union or pay individually for the services? Or altogether boycott those who don't join the union voluntarily next year from any services.
The latter wouldn't suprise me. She needs to shut her lefty, media attention grabbing, aspiring ABC journalistic (with underlying political motivations- the first female PM you go girl!!#!##) mouth and get in the real world.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
In today's honi Nick Wood suggested that unis should have a clause in their entry proceedures that gives preference to students who indicate they will pay fees.

What the fuck is that? :S

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
wow universities give places to students who are willing to pay more? oh my god that's unthinkable!!!! why, they'd have to divide the students into hecs and fees...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
To the douchebags who made that announcement: VSU is here to stay. No-one cares. Deal with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)