Nursing??????? (1 Viewer)

rockets

HSC
N/A
Can someone help me out!!!
Which uni offers the best nursing degree?
Where do you do the prac side of it for each uni??
Thanx in advance.
P.s Is sydney going to have nursing ever again or is it totally out.

bex

HSC
have a look at the csu forum and the thread: nursing

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey dark secrets, are u at kuring-gai or the one near central station.
Can you give some examples of hospitals where they do the prac bit.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Try looking at your UAC guide.. and then you'll need to decide for yourself which uni has the best nursing course

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Hey rocket,
my one is located at kuring gai. Urmm.. i did my practical at a small rehab hospital in Greenwich.

Others i've heard people go to are like RPA, RNS, mona vale, concord(that's just from the top of my head).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm at CSU atm (bathurst campus) and our pracs are held at

- Bathurst Base
- Orange Base
- St Vinnies, Bathurst
- Nepean Public
- Nepean Private
- Lithgow

However from second year onwards, the magority of placements are SIPPs, which means you choose your own and organise it (just by calling the nurse educator at your chosen hospital or talking to the nursing home etc)

It really depends on where you plan to go - CSU is great if you plan on working in a rural area as their subjects and clinical placements are unsurpassed in regards to rural health - an area often ignored by metro Unis. The subjects allow you to get a feel for the major areas of nursing, and of cause pick you own area for a 4-week placement at the end of third year. (Almost all Uni's offer this). The Lecturers are awesome, they're very undrestanding and flexible - unlike alot of other lecturers I've come across, none are 'high and mighty', nor do they work in 'My way or you fail'. The resources are pretty good - they probably could be better, but the same could be said for all Uni's in regards to Nursing resources. CSU also allows for double degrees - combining Nursing with either Early Childhood Education (bathurst), Paramedics (Bathurst) or Midwifery (Wagga Wagga) if any of these appeal to you. I know a fair few Para/Nurses who have mixed feelings of the course. Some absolultley love it, while otheres (esspeically straight paramedics) say the course is too mixed up - subjects are all over the place, you're behind your peers in Paramedics because you'll take BMS (nursing science) rather than FPS (paramedical science) in first year and are then behind in other paramedic subjects. So the recommoned thing to do was do either straight Nursing or Paramedics for a year, and then do the 18 month conversion to the double degree.

I'd imagine Sydney is totally out, and I'd also say it's not a bad thing. People will disagree with me, but the course was too theoretical and Sydney cared more for money than producing quality nurses hence why the course was culled (with very little warning too, I might add) If Sydney was your first choice, go for UTS. Kuring-Gai has a lower cut off, and better social life but is a pain in the arse to get to unless you live in Northern Sydney.

Most Unis offer decent courses - I'd reccomend CSU, UTS or UWS for Nursing. Also, with UWS even though some placements are at Nursing homes in first year, not all are, and it depends on which campus your at as to which hospital your placements will take place. (I've also been told by former students that UWS will let you go on placement outside the designated hospitals if you run it by them first, organise it, and bring all the information back to the school, but I'm not 100% sure and am checking today)

Good Luck!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i go to une and dont know a great deal about the course - but it does seem more geared towards rural health (like csu) however my mate's older brother did his degree at armidale and is now at RPA, so there is no restriction

and nurses get to choose where they want to go for placements from first year

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
White Rabbit said:
I'm at CSU atm (bathurst campus) and our pracs are held at

- Bathurst Base
- Orange Base
- St Vinnies, Bathurst
- Nepean Public
- Nepean Private
- Lithgow

!
Wow, that's quite amazing - those are all hospitals??
We get a choice of either aged care or rehab; all our clinical placements for this semester are aged care facilities, except for one (rehab) --> I got rehab :uhhuh: .

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yep, all hospitals. St Vinnies is private, just out of Bathurst and I think it's more directed at aged care but a hospital none the less. Only time we go to an aged care facilitity is when we do aged care as a subject, and even then you can elect to go into a hospital setting - like the War Memorial Hospital for example. I've been told a fair few Unis do aged care over Hospitals - but you need both. You need the basics aged care offers, but you also need hospital experience.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
transcendent said:
USyd no longer offers Nursing to undergraduates.
We know, but the NSW Nurses Assoc. and Sydney students were attempting to prevent it, and then perhaps try and get it back - so I heard.

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
Im at une doing nursing and when u compare the prac times with csu...we do a hell of alot more...in theroy it is better to do alot of pracs but it also gives us a break from sitting in lecture theatres for weeks on end too...

Prac weeks are:
Year one; Sem 1 = 3 weeks
Year one; Sem 2 = 4 weeks
Year two; Sem 1 = 4 weeks
Year two; Sem 2 = 4 weeks
Year three; Sem 1 = 7 weeks
Year three; Sem 2 = 11 weeks...

We are given a prac form which has about 40 hospitals on it...we then put in preferences...its divided into two area's - the first being around the tamworth, coolah, moree, coona, gil, narromine, wello, cessnock, maitland, muswellbrook, singleton parts. The second is Armidale, Bello, coffs, Glen innes, grafton, kempsy, and syd hospitals...

As far as whether the course is better...ur never going to get a firm answer that isnt biased...we do alota science up here...but we are trained asequally as the csu campus's, lismore, canberra and wat ever is left of the syd uni's; to cope in metro area's...all uni's have to include a community healht comonent in their degree's and that is when we'll do the majority of our rural health stuff...

Id go either armidale or bathurst...they are both well set up and established...and most hospitals will employ us with no hassles...even as AIN's while we are at uni...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
We have a fair bit of pracs - not so much in our first year, but after that we do. We've got a few more 4 week blocks of med/surg, couple of weeks of mental health, aged care, long term care, and community/paeds/middies and then your four week elective in 3rd year. They're pretty on par in regards to quality though. Jobs aren't too hard to find, I travel to Sydney every weekend now though, I work as an AIN at Bankstown. I'd reccomend doing AIN work during your degree

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
yeah this semester we've also got 2 wks block at the end of semester

toaster

HSC
Im thinking of applying for dd nurs/clinprac in bathurst, but if i don't get in i'll just do the b nurs anywhere.. does anyone know much about newcastle? pracs? the facilities? Bathurst and Armidale are my next preferences. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)