nuclear radiation con-fusion (1 Viewer)

VJ30

HSC
i know when the isotopes are unstable, they decay and emit radiation. But there is one thing i do not get. Say for example, tritium which has 1 proton, 2 neutrons and 1 electron. The neutron converts itself into a proton and an electron is emitted. Now does this electron stay in orbits with other electron or keeps on going out. If it stays then why do we say they have have moderate penetrating power since it cant even come out of their atom. On the other hand, if it is emitted out then the atom will have 2 protons but only 1 electron. How is this neutral and stable??

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Not too clear, but heres my crack at it, i believe how you should look at it is like a tower, skinny base, heavy top.
It's unstable, but what it aims to do is lose the extra weight lets just say it is the electron, lets say that losing the weight is the radiation

By losing the electron it makes it more balanced that it was before, in some cases it's not going to make that perfect 1-1 ratio but a bit off that centre.
But Note: when it decays it doesn't necessarily remain the same element, it can turn into another element from the decay (hence why sometimes the numbers don't add up and you wonder how it is being more stable)
Hope that makes some sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)