Nuclear chemistry- (1 Viewer)

what!

HSC
if half-life is not in the syallabus, does it mean the schools cant examine us on it, even tho most of us learn it anyway?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
But its an important property of many radioisotopes that make them useful for their use? I say learn a general idea about it so then you know how to use it in an answer.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I agree with clintmyster. It's not hard though, you just have to know what it is and what the half life for the radioisotopes you've chosen to memorise are :)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with clintmyster. It's not hard though, you just have to know what it is and what the half life for the radioisotopes you've chosen to memorise are :)
anna has there ever been a time you haven't agreed with me :p

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
I guess it would come under properties of radioisotopes.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I guess it would come under properties of radioisotopes.
But its an important property of many radioisotopes that make them useful for their use? I say learn a general idea about it so then you know how to use it in an answer.
+1 to both above

And how difficult is it to remember half-lives? If I were you, I would have memorised them rather than investing time to make this thread lol.

what!

HSC
but the questions are not about what the half life of certain radioisotopes more like giving you all these numbers and figure out what the half life is :mad1:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
anna has there ever been a time you haven't agreed with me :p
Great minds think alike :D

And ooo we do the same subjects except i do modern while you do ancient aha.

but the questions are not about what the half life of certain radioisotopes more like giving you all these numbers and figure out what the half life is :mad1:
If they did that, you'd just look for the time where the amount/mass of the radioisotopes is first halved from its original mass- this would be its half life. I've never seen a question like that though.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Great minds think alike :D

And ooo we do the same subjects except i do modern while you do ancient aha.

If they did that, you'd just look for the time where the amount/mass of the radioisotopes is first halved from its original mass- this would be its half life. I've never seen a question like that though.
hhaa yeah!

Isn't that sort of half-life question in like yr 10 science? Besides I think you need to know more about half-lives for phys for your option if you do medical phys like I do haha

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
hhaa yeah!

Isn't that sort of half-life question in like yr 10 science? Besides I think you need to know more about half-lives for phys for your option if you do medical phys like I do haha
I never learnt any nuclear chemistry in year 10 :(

My school is doing astrophysics so meh, stuff 1/2 lives lol.

By the way, if they give you the question it'll probably be a graph :)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I never learnt any nuclear chemistry in year 10 :(

My school is doing astrophysics so meh, stuff 1/2 lives lol.

By the way, if they give you the question it'll probably be a graph :)
Didn't you need to learn about half-lives, isotopes and radioisotopes and give like definitions of them? Iuno this is what i remember doing haha.

True that though, if anything, it'd be a graph.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Didn't you need to learn about half-lives, isotopes and radioisotopes and give like definitions of them? Iuno this is what i remember doing haha.

True that though, if anything, it'd be a graph.
I knew what an isotope was, though i don't know if that was from extra curricular activities or from school =="

By the way, there are other things that aren't on the syllabus that they are sneaking into the HSC, such as oxidisation/reduction numbers.

Bboy-twoFousand

<--JAWR--> Only the Best
HSC
Yea there is a dotpoint about the oxidation number/states of compounds

xP they are trying to sneak in alot of new stuff into the syllabus

For the Half-life, I think you have to just remember them and how the half life of a radioisotope can affect its use in society just like cobalt-60 whose half life is about 5.27 years. So it is used in radiotherapy and in the sterilizing of medical equipment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)