Now it's my turn to worry about subject selections. :) (1 Viewer)

Pink Oni

HSC
Requesting suggestions.

So far, I really want to do the following (musts):

Japanese Extension 1 - (3U) Always come in top 3.
English Extension 2 - (4U) First in prelim Ext1 and Advanced.
Maths Extension 1 at least (3U) - Top 20 (I think I'm 12th). 2U Maths - Top 30 (Just scraped into 3U standards)
Physics (2U) - Top 3

Then, I have the following to consider:

Biology (2U) - Top 10 (I think I'm 6th)
Maths Extension 2 (+1U) - Read Ext 1

I'm actually getting better at maths so my prelim finals may change my rank to be a bit higher if I didn't make careless mistakes. I probably only have problems with transforming trig equations into the r form and a couple of other manageable nit-picky things. I want to do maths extension 1 definitely because it may help me complement a possibility of me doing a physics course in uni.

English Extension 2 is a definite because I come first with A- and over marks and my teacher is really encouraging me to stay. Extension 1 Japanese is an instant pick for me because I'm really good at it, I think. Yet, I still haven't gotten my teacher's opinion yet.

Physics is a must because I love it (I find it one of my most interesting courses) and I get in the tops all the time. Recently, I got higher marks than the other two guys that were beating me so I might get a rank increase.

Biology is my only problem I guess. Do the maths, and I have at least 13U if I consider Maths E2, if not then I have 12U which is more or less normal I guess. It is the only subject that I feel that I'm not the best at because I'm coming considerably lower than all of my other courses (excluding maths, of course), but I think it is because of my poor interest in the subject. Then, I have many yr 12ers telling me I should continue it because the HSC course is more interesting and all. Also, the teacher would probably be devastated if I drop it because they recon I'm good at it.

I don't think my year adviser would even dream of letting me do 14 or 15 units, and so I'm really bogged down on this one. Considering my current "must" subjects, I don't really see a use for it in my future, unless someone can prove me wrong of course :).

So yeah, that's it I guess. I'm sorry for the length, but I wanted to be elaborate because I really want quality advise on this. Really, I guess the question is to keep or not to keep biology.

Pink Oni

HSC
fyoun123 said:
Keep bio. So much easier in year 12
Any suggestions elsewhere then, if I keep Bio? 14 units sounds like a lot and when I tell people about it I see their jaws drop ten feet under.

SimonLee13

HSC
It looks like you've already made up your mind, drop MX2 or bio. You could actually drop both...

Pink Oni

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
It looks like you've already made up your mind, drop MX2 or bio. You could actually drop both...
Hmm. Maybe, but I know I'll regret dropping darn bio. I'll have to do a bit of research.

5233andy

HSC
HSC Biology is somewhat interesting... you'll definitely regret dropping it - despite the relatively low scaling that it is associated with.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i'm doing for year 11 16 units of work (its manageable) year 12 ie starting next term and next week i have 14 units which is easily manageable and people have done 14 units in the past so give it a try for one term then go from there

Pink Oni

HSC
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go I suppose.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah its not uncommon for ppl to have 14 units but not that common too but many do it and do very well

Pink Oni

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah its not uncommon for ppl to have 14 units but not that common too but many do it and do very well
I see. Well it isn't that I'm worried that I wont do well, it's that I'm worried if I can do it first of all, if that makes sense. When I brought it up in a conversation with my year adviser a little earlier in the year, he told me that I'd be wasting four units of my school life doing it because it wouldn't count to my UAI and stuck to his argument. I suppose that is his job though, to try and let his students make sensible decisions, however, I don't really care if it counts or not, I just don't want to wait for time to pass and for me to regret not fully utilising the time I once had. Other than that... I love Biology, lol. Not the prelim course, but the parts I've seen in the HSC course and from what I've heard from other yr 12 students.

Just a quick question to marcquell: did you think you dealt well with 16U in yr 11 because you had more experience in time-management or do you pretty much have the same dedication as the first time you did yr 11?

sarahdee

HSC
dont do 4U maths. its hell hard. you have to be really dedicated. and you have to get a good mark for scaling to work in your favour.

4U english is a great idea. yet again you have to be committed. it'll be difficult to balance this with other subjects, so you have to make sure you have a balance.

biology - i'm not too sure cause i don't actually do it.

if you like it, keep it. just make sure your rank improves as it scales badly. if you think you can ace it though, go ahead.

i wouldn't recommend doing too many units. too much stress. it would take away from studying for other subjects. go for 11 or 12 units for the hsc. steer clear of doing ten cause apparently studies show that those who do 11 or more do better then ten-ers.

best wishes!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Pink Oni said:
I see. Well it isn't that I'm worried that I wont do well, it's that I'm worried if I can do it first of all, if that makes sense. When I brought it up in a conversation with my year adviser a little earlier in the year, he told me that I'd be wasting four units of my school life doing it because it wouldn't count to my UAI and stuck to his argument. I suppose that is his job though, to try and let his students make sensible decisions, however, I don't really care if it counts or not, I just don't want to wait for time to pass and for me to regret not fully utilising the time I once had. Other than that... I love Biology, lol. Not the prelim course, but the parts I've seen in the HSC course and from what I've heard from other yr 12 students.

Just a quick question to marcquell: did you think you dealt well with 16U in yr 11 because you had more experience in time-management or do you pretty much have the same dedication as the first time you did yr 11?
well one solution to this, is to keep EVERYTHING you want to do for yr 12 and if u dont think u can handle it u can drop it half way through yr 12 if u want,

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Pink Oni said:
Just a quick question to marcquelle: did you think you dealt well with 16U in yr 11 because you had more experience in time-management or do you pretty much have the same dedication as the first time you did yr 11?
A little from Column A and a little from Column B

last year really tested my time management skills with Art BOW and Music Viva Voce, Compostions x2 and Preformance. So i had to learn to use my time effectivly. This year I found it easier to manage my time from experience. but overall i carry the same dedication i had/have for my HSC. I knew for it too work i just had to get stuck in and mork my ass off and do anything whenever i had the chance. Eg. Lunchtimes (not recess) i went to the library and did work, when i got home i did homework and then studied. Here is basically my life by timetable (i don't follow it exactly but that should give you a good idea) + i did 16U on top of doing YAA business.

This is my timetable;

Mondays, Tuesdays:

7-8am Study (reading over notes/flash cards etc)
8:16-2:56 school
3:10 - 3:30 relax
3:30 - 6:30 homework (mainly maths, bio, chem and english, don't really get homwork for the others)
6:30 - 7:00 dinner
Mondays 7-11 study/make notes etc.
Tuesdays 7:30 - 8:00 watch new eps of The Simpsons
8:00 - 12:00 study

Wednesdays

8:16-2:56 school
3:00 - 5:00 YAA
5:00 - 6:30 Homework
6:30 - 7:00 Dinner
7:30 - 9:30 homework
9:30 - 1:00 study

Thursdays
6-7am Study (reading over notes/flash cards etc)
7-8am Chem Tutoring
8:16-12:30ish school
12:30-1:45 relax/lunch
1:45 - 5:45 Nursing at TAFE
6:15 - 7:00 dinner and relax
7:00 - 10:00 Homework
10:00 - 2:00 study

Fridays
8:16-12:20 school (we finish early on fridays)
12:20 - 12:30 lunch
12:30 - 3:00 homework
3:00 - 6:30 assignments
6:30 - 7:30 make and eat dinner
7:30 - 11:30 study

Saturdays and Sundays

approximate times

10:00 - 6:00 anywork and study [follow school timetable for Mondays A (Saturday) and Wednesdays B(Sunday) ]

i also use my lunch times most days in the library working on assignments or getting help with maths from the teacher.

This is how i fit all my study in

and this is what i did in my holidays between term 4 2006 and term 1 2007
[FONT=&quot]This is what i have been doing the things in red and vitally important to me, so don't skip em.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What i do is say: ok i need to read this book for english so i will say for half the day give or take ,read the book/play, then i'll say ok need to do some maths and jap i'll do an hour each of those, then i'll just do some catch-up/revision of my notes then i do what i wish. so it's a time table, but a relaxed one, i can't do say: at 7:30 i'll do this for an hour then swap over the maths. It doesn't work like that just creates stress, heaps of people in my year do that and create confusion for themselves, so i do what i want to do for however long i do as long as i do a minium of 4 hours a day. and 32 hours a week study, then at least 3 hours revision on my notes & reviewing what i have done a week, then i have 2 hours essay practice a week and 45 minutes of creative writing in a test environment and then doing 1 test a week from a past hsc. So ido about 37hrs and 45 minutes a week studying. and this is all just at the moment & last year for my prelim.[/FONT]
there you go i know this went on for a bit but yeah i hope that helps

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
its not, i don't think it is
these are the things i do to study if your curious
-syllabus notes
-practice essays
-practice exams (cause i can for english and then prelim)[soon to be HSC tests]
-huge ass posters that have mind maps
-record notes and listen to them
-have things blu-taked to roof above my bed
-flash cards
-teaching others the subject when they don't understand
-homework & assignments
-revison guide questions

thats it i know people that do a LOT more

ratcher0071

HSC
marcquelle said:
its not, i don't think it is
these are the things i do to study if your curious
-syllabus notes
-practice essays
-practice exams (cause i can for english and then prelim)[soon to be HSC tests]
-huge ass posters that have mind maps
-record notes and listen to them
-have things blu-taked to roof above my bed
-flash cards
-teaching others the subject when they don't understand
-homework & assignments
-revison guide questions

thats it i know people that do a LOT more
Ok Marcquelle. I don't have anything against you, for doing things like that ^^,
With the subjects you got, (you have to be a pro)

"have things blu-taked to roof above my bed" lol :rofl:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
ratcher0071 said:
Ok Marcquelle. I don't have anything against you, for doing things like that ^^,
With the subjects you got, (you have to be a pro)
pro as in...?

"have things blu-taked to roof above my bed" lol :rofl:
yeah poems for english, what do you i would have?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)