Now called the Faculty of Business? (1 Viewer)

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
then who and when are they going to change this forum to "Faculty of Business"?

GaNeSh

Official Chelsea FC Ultra
HSC
As you walk through our lovely quad, is there a more appropriate name which you can think of other than the Fob?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i guess im one of the low calibre of students that a previous poster had indicated. what bothers me is that the poster did not realise that the 2005 hsc was one of the hardest if not the hardest year to gain a high uai since there was greater competition.

as one would have noticed, there were less people who gained a uai above 90 as well.

however i am interested in what the uai's are for eco and commerce this year.

by the way....karen88 i know who you are now hahahahaha

HSC
why would 2005 be the hardest? doesnt same amount of people get 90, 91, 92 etc ?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Well, apparently, not since the new HSC was implemented. The old HSC system had everyone scaled to the bell curve, so there was a fixed number of people that could achieve a certain mark (from what I understand). The new HSC is "outcome" based, ie, if you achieve the outcomes of a certain band you get ranked in that band.

Though my understanding of the HSC marking system is probably rusty, or maybe even wrong by now.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
My understanding was that HSC marks are outcomes based, and that has been the case since the new HSC came into force in 2001.

In terms of UAI, my understanding was it is an indicator of rank (not acheivement of subject outcomes) based on HSC marks and ajusted to take into account the full cohort of students that have completed up to Year 10 (not Year 12).

So basically a UAI of 95.00 would mean that you are in ther top 5% of high school students from your cohort in Year 10. That would translate into something approximately higher (say, top 7%) of Year 12 HSC students (since not all Year 10 students complete up to Year 12).

That was my understanding of the system, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of the new name "Faculty of Business", I heard from a pretty reputable source that UNSW has, and may still be in the process of, looking around for a major benefactor to whom naming rights of the school may be awarded (this is the case for most top US business schools such as Wharton, Stern, Sloan, Haas, Anderson, Kellogg, etc.). Apparently their efforts to do sdo in 2006 were unsuccessful, but no doubt they'll keep trying (since there is a prestige factor that comes into play).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
mr_shittles said:
In terms of the new name "Faculty of Business", I heard from a pretty reputable source that UNSW has, and may still be in the process of, looking around for a major benefactor to whom naming rights of the school may be awarded (this is the case for most top US business schools such as Wharton, Stern, Sloan, Haas, Anderson, Kellogg, etc.). Apparently their efforts to do sdo in 2006 were unsuccessful, but no doubt they'll keep trying (since there is a prestige factor that comes into play).
Should you really be making this public? We don't want USyd to steal UNSW's thunder with the support of their many generous (and wealthy) alumni.

HSC
sunny said:
Well, apparently, not since the new HSC was implemented. The old HSC system had everyone scaled to the bell curve, so there was a fixed number of people that could achieve a certain mark (from what I understand). The new HSC is "outcome" based, ie, if you achieve the outcomes of a certain band you get ranked in that band.

Though my understanding of the HSC marking system is probably rusty, or maybe even wrong by now.
so uai's arent allocated, as many as 1 or 5000 people can get 100 uai

sunny

meh.
HSC
Casmira said:
so uai's arent allocated, as many as 1 or 5000 people can get 100 uai
I guess if by some freak miracle that every subject gets scaled equally, and everyone achieves the same mark in everything, then everyone has come first and should get 100, if the UAI is meant to be a rank of each student in the HSC.

But yes, mr_shittles is right, I stopped short after going on about outcomes.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
if you think about it...hsc marks in exams are scaled in a way.

an essay, say for english may reach the outcomes of a certain band, however afterwards, a similar essay was written which also reaches the band but is written with better quality. there will then lie a few marks difference since from memory the bands are allocated in 5s.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
cant believe you're still talking about the hsc les :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i cant believe it either :p hi jason!!

i just felt a bit insulted by some egotists and their uai. if you get into the course with the uai i dont see where the criticism lies. if they choose the course and they are in it. so be it.

each year its different anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)