Novels on Aboriginal Australians (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
Hey seeing as we are the EE2 students we are supposed to be well read.

Well all you well read people out there, could you tell me a couple of titles/authors of NOVELS on Aboriginal Land Rights or just Aboriginal life in general. I need some stuff to put in my proposal.

Cheers.

raymo69

HSC
gwemma88 said:
Hey seeing as we are the EE2 students we are supposed to be well read.

Well all you well read people out there, could you tell me a couple of titles/authors of NOVELS on Aboriginal Land Rights or just Aboriginal life in general. I need some stuff to put in my proposal.

Cheers.
Hey, the protagonist in my MW was an aboriginal girl so as you can imagine i had to do a ton of research for it. Well I can tell you right now a few sources to read but ill need a bit more time to find all the titles of the books, films etc. i used. I reccommend that if you chose to use an Aboriginal context or character(s) then make sure your locations, words and language are accurate and definatley don't stereotype anything! The great thing about an Aboriginal setting is that it is relativley unknown so it's an opportunity to gain heaps of originality credit.

--Macquarie Aboriginal Words: R Tardif, The Macquarie Library, 1999.

--Rabbit Proof Fence the movie

-- anything on Eddie Mabo and the Wik case

--www.babynamenetwork.com (for the meanings of Aboriginal names)

Well as I said ill need a bit more time to remember/find the names of everything I used.

Hope this helps

Ok I just remembered... anything by Aboriginal Author "Mudrooroo" is gold!... he gives a sort of pomo inisight into Aboriginal society and culture

Last edited:

gorgo31

HSC
Sally Morgan - My Place is a fantastic read and very relevant. I believe it's also an English Advanced text somewhere in the syllabus (maybe Area of Study - Inner Journeys?) so there's a link to the other English courses.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i'm not entirely sure to what extent these might be helpful, but as far as i know, Cloudstreet from Tim Winton does involve Aboriginality, and also I think there was a play on the drama syllabus from Australian theatre that might be helpful, it might have been 'No Sugar'

gorgo31

HSC
Another play is "Seven Stages of Grieving" but I'm not entirely sure who it's by. Actually, come to think of it, I've never even read the thing. But I'm pretty certain it's about Aboriginality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)