Notes on Where the Wild Things Are (1 Viewer)

HSC
This is just some stuff i have in relation to my assessment task. i chose it as one of my related texts... its a good one to use!

The text is in the form of a picture book and the narrative structure is simple. The sentences vary in length, most continuing over several pages. It is written in third person objective, from the perspective of a narrator so there is little dialogue. This helps the progression of the main characters journey, by allowing the author to use pictures to tell the story. This means that the pictures are the main focus of the text.

Repetition of words “of one kind, and another”, “a forest grew and grew, and grew”, “roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth” progression.

techniques
Colour- white wolf suit- White= innocence of children, wolf= power and wild
Symbolism- the monsters represent his fears and by becoming their leader he is able to overcome his inner demons.
The pictures are of low modality which supports the concept of an imaginative journey through appearing unrealistic and fuzzy, as though from a dream.
Max’s position on the page- seems to represent power and how powerful he feels at the time. During his imaginative journey he is generally centered or to the left (hidden or inner power and rebellion/ non conformity), when he is not on the journey he is to the right of the page.

ideas about Imaginative Journeys
Freudian theory - immediate pleasure
Rebellion - desire to rebel against authority
Control- desire to feel in control of himself and of others
Fixation/Obsession/ Preoccupation- with “wild things” eg. Picture on wall of a “wild thing” by max and a selfish obsession with himself (similar to freudian theory)
Time/Space difference- he can travel for years and years to far away places and return for his dinner “and it was still hot.”

hope it helps someone!!!

kate596

HSC
THANK YOU!!! this is sooo useful! i hav been looking everywhere for this!!

jacqueline4593

HSC
omgosh this is sooooo helpful thankyou so much so needed this!!! thankyou xxx

ke2004

HSC
Hey thanks that was a great help!
Does anyone have anything on "the wizard of oz" or any more on "wherethe wild things are?" in relation to imaginative journeys?

babygirl08

HSC
hi
i've got an assessment and the question is "How have the texts you have studied inspired you to consider new and interesting ways of looking at the imaginative journey?"
i'm kinda stuck but am thinking of using Where the Wild Things are as additional material. I need to compose an illustrated, analytical journey which represents my respnse to this question. If anyone could help me with developing a thesis i would really appreciate
thanks xxx

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
babygirl08 said:
hi
i've got an assessment and the question is "How have the texts you have studied inspired you to consider new and interesting ways of looking at the imaginative journey?"
i'm kinda stuck but am thinking of using Where the Wild Things are as additional material. I need to compose an illustrated, analytical journey which represents my respnse to this question. If anyone could help me with developing a thesis i would really appreciate
thanks xxx
Do you mean a thesis for your essay response?

Well, the question you have focuses explicitly on the viewpoints or perspectives gained from the imaginative journey. Also there are two terms which stand out through diction "new" and "interesting". Therefore, i would structure my thesis statement around how the continuous journeying process inevitably leads us to unforseen worlds of speculation (ie "new") and thus provides opportunities for ontological musings that stimulate growth (ie "interesting").

respect90

HSC
to whoever started this thread......THANK YOU!! Ive been wondering, ever since we started our area of study on imaginative journeys, what the name of that book was....i remembered it from childhood :D

babygirl08

HSC
Thanks for the ideas. I think im fine with the thesis now have plenty of ideas. I have to find two more things for additional material. Im studying Coleridge poetry so if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking that "The Secret Garden" might be alright as they both focus on nature but is it an imaginative journey? Please let me know
thanks xxx

HSC
everybody is incredibly welcome!!!
I had my final assessment on this text today. i'll be crossing my fingers for weeks and weeks!

ke2004

HSC
Yeah thanks good info!
anyone have any ideas on a text (preferably novel) that relates to "where the wild things are" and "wizard of oz"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)