• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Note Writing --> Any Good??? (1 Viewer)

Dt 08

HSC
Hey guys:wave:

Year 11, argh ders so much work. its not lyk yr 10 wher fings r easy ta balance. on dis note, notes r gettin hard ta write also.

i am wonderin is note writin any good in the first place. is it more effective to write notes or prehaps use dis tym ta study n buy one of dose macquarie guides (i heard excel was crap)

wat do u guys rekon?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Hi Daniel :wave:

You shouldn't really rely on just a study guides to help you through your Preliminary and HSC course. They're too little, and only explain it in the most basic way possible. You'd only get these study gudies if you like wanted to study from about 2-3 weeks before an exam.

Make your notes based on dot points from the syllabus, as usually test you on the content of it. They're useful for the Sciences, Humanities and the Social Sciences. Gather information from source materials, such as websites, notes from school, and textbooks, and process them to make good explanations of the dot points. Just remember, get straight to the point, and don't stray otherwise.

ice ken

HSC
Dt 08 said:
Hey guys:wave:

Year 11, argh ders so much work. its not lyk yr 10 wher fings r easy ta balance. on dis note, notes r gettin hard ta write also.

i am wonderin is note writin any good in the first place. is it more effective to write notes or prehaps use dis tym ta study n buy one of dose macquarie guides (i heard excel was crap)

wat do u guys rekon?
note taking is essential!!! if u r aiming for a high uai. last year i noted all my subjects and found it sooooo useful wen it came to end of year exams and note taking is good cause i found it very easy to understand if u note t ureself especially with the subjects i did chem physics and 2 maths. yr 11 is nothing wait till u get to yr 12

HSC
Kujah said:
Hi Daniel :wave:

You shouldn't really rely on just a study guides to help you through your Preliminary and HSC course. They're too little, and only explain it in the most basic way possible. You'd only get these study gudies if you like wanted to study from about 2-3 weeks before an exam.

Make your notes based on dot points from the syllabus, as usually test you on the content of it. They're useful for the Sciences, Humanities and the Social Sciences. Gather information from source materials, such as websites, notes from school, and textbooks, and process them to make good explanations of the dot points. Just remember, get straight to the point, and don't stray otherwise.
Apparently Excel alone aims to explain to the point where students can get band 4 tops. Rest depends on other resources you have.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
Apparently Excel alone aims to explain to the point where students can get band 4 tops. Rest depends on other resources you have.
Yeah, that's what some of my teachers said. Hence, making notes with your own resources is greatly beneficial ;)

booties4

HSC
Note taking is probaby one of the best things you can do. It's good for upcoming exams and when you write it you remeber it so much better.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Do it, if you don't you're probably going to be beaten by the massiove majority who do take notes.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Yes writing your own notes is effective; you shouldn't solely rely on study guides.

Please don't talk in text speak it's annoying and hard to read.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
pritnep said:
Please don't talk in text speak it's annoying and hard to read.
AMEN.

Oh and yes, as everyone said, note-writing is essential. It's the best way to have something cemented into memory.

Dt 08

HSC
Well does anyone know anyone that did good in their hsc whilst not writing notes?

Note taking and schoolwork is becoming more difficult for me as we move more into year 11

Season

HSC
^^ No actually I don't,

Notetaking can take a while to get use to but you have to get used to it and it does get easier. you get to the point where note taking is really second nature.

I also rewrite all my notes for any tests or exams I have, its a great way to remind yourself of the work you're being tested on.

orly?

HSC
i use an mp3 player and record the teachers voice when they say stuff
if i miss anything out i listen to it and write it down XDDDD
creepy i know :)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Only make notes if you know you will read them and review them.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Yeah, but the fact that you make notes means you absorb at least -some- information. I mean, this doesn't mean you can justify not going over your notes, but just making your own notes is more effective than getting study guides.

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
Note taking is the best option for revising and studying for exams
answering all the dot point in the syllabus is good too

PrettyVacant

HSC
sanshi said:
Note taking is the best option for revising and studying for exams
answering all the dot point in the syllabus is good too
Depends on what kind of "learner" you are. Some are kinestethic (sp?) learners, so they learn through actions. Some are auditory learners, so they learn best from what they hear..etc etc according to my maths teacher. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)