Note Taking Demons, Unite! (1 Viewer)

sammysparrow

HSC
Starting year 12 next term and have decided to get my bum into gear and work on some really kickass notes -- make me feel more secure about everything....

So does any body have any good tips and ideas to share about their note making?

Like, some pretentious little "how to study" guide is telling me I ought to keep all my notes on ONE SIDED pages... and leave about a 5 cm margin for summaries on my notes on the right hand side of the page.... I think that sounds a little dodgy... dunno....

Also, I hear that colour has a huge bearing on how effective one's notes are. Any comments?

Oh! And the big one, should I type my notes out, or do them up by hand?

Sure, I suppose, typing them up is easier... but my hand writing is quite neat so I'm okay with doing them by hand.... and the benefit with doing them by hand is that somehow they seem more like they actually BELONG to me.... and I can write up my notes anywhere.

Does that make sense?

Gah.

Any way, opinions people! Flood me with your knowledge and personal preferences!

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Hee. Hand-written notes for phys and chem for me, and typed up notes for IPT used for the sole purpose of major cramming :uhhuh: I'd say hand-written notes are better for keeping stuff in your brain, I don't know, typed up notes just seems kinda mechanical and just meaningless slabs of texts that gets thrown outta my head right after the test :p

Btw, I thought we had a 'study seminar' thing earlier this year? Not that I remember what those people said though :p

sammysparrow

HSC
airie said:
] Btw, I thought we had a 'study seminar' thing earlier this year? Not that I remember what those people said though :p
Yeah.... but I can't remember anything they said.... *is doomed*
I wasn't such an eager nerd THEN, y'see.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Not that they said anything helpful anyway, that's the only thing I remember :rolleyes:

And chill. At least your exams are done, right? You don't have to worry about them anymore :) Or maybe someone could give you a shot of tranquiliser or something too, after they supply me with a truckload of them to cope with French tomorrow :eek:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Personal Preferences:
- Typed out, my handwriting will eventually become too messy to read the notes :eek:
- Blue arrows for dot points, and diagrams, tables, graphs etc. wherever I can put them, to make the notes more interesting to read.

But eventually, it is up to you how you take your notes, because you know what is best for you.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
it's really all up to the individual

personally:

- ALWAYS keep it one sided...don't skim on paper!
- i use mindmaps instead of written out notes. it's easier to visualise and also means i'm not rewriting out paragraphs - just points or a few lines at max to remember
- i do a lot of the highlighting and colouring thingo. it really does make it easier to read, and it's also more inviting as opposed to just pages and pages of writing...thats a bit daunting
- i hand write my notes. i find the process of writing also helps to reiterate the stuff in your head.
- i don't use a notebook - i use loose paper and stick them in binder folders

vorahk

HSC
well, shes a girl, girl writing is so much neater and colourful, they can actually read their own notes.

anyway, if you dont mind writing it, write it, the more you write, the more you get used to writing in fat blocks for the hsc, plus you remember easier from writing stuff down... right?

thats my theory, should work better with girls. if its written, its harder and less convinient to copy, read etc etc, if you dont want to share, writing would be better. however, if you lose it or it gets ruined (from whatever reason), you re screwed.

hope that helps.

matsabatsa

HSC
Diagrams really work for me, just litte funky ones that help you remember, my margins are filled with notes i forgot to put in, and orange is sposed to help you remember so i highlight all my formulas in orange.
for english books and texts i always do a plot overview, then a list of themes with an asociated quote next to it, like a table,

i.e Portrait of a lady, t.s Eliot
female manipulation
" i have saved the afternoon for you"

anyhting that organises seems to work, and i think spaces do work but that preachy book might be over doing it- but i live for those books, :p can you tell..

Last edited:

IceOnFire

HSC
Does everyone take notes in class? Like as in whatever the teacher says you take it down. If you do, do you think it helps?
I rarely take notes cuz:
1) Can't really concentrate
2) I find my handwritten notes hard to read, so i dont bother

I type all my notes up for the exams. I take them straight from the textbooks, but i think I really need to put those definitions in my own words.. o well.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
As a 2006er who's just realised the value of good notes, remember that colour plays an essential role in your memory jogging. I also find reading them out is good for revision.

Sticking with just one colour isn't a good idea, use all kinds, use highlighters, texta anything to make your work more aesthetic to your eyes, which 'll make you wish to revise..

Oh and please start early. I also reccomend getting a copy of every syllabus for every subject/topic :) xxx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)