Not understanding a single subject! (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
i know u said its all you're subjects, but it would help to answer if u stated the subjects you're doing. maybe you're doing too demanding subjects, or the wrong sort.
or maybe you just need to refine to approach (most likely).
but still what are your subjects?
I guess you could say that they are "demanding" but they're what I like.
Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Japanese, Modern History. Moderns the only one I don't like..

dont worry too much, year 12 content is 100x better than yr 11.

on a serious note, get a tutor.
Yeah, I've been told so...I would but my parents are only allowing me to go to one tutor, and he's practically incomprehensible for me...So that defeats the purpose of tutoring really..

+1 on iRuler's comment
id also advise getting a tutor for the subjects youre really struggling with, at the same time just go with a few friends to the library and try to get some of the basic concepts down pat. get them to explain it to you and go through some worked solutions with you
then at home, in a very relaxed environment in which you have no distractions, get out the syllabus and start going through the dot points. this SHOULD work, if not just get a tutor soon and go from there
youll be fine =)
Thanks for advice. I think I'm going to venture to the library soon :]
Definitely could NOT study at home, as my family are distracting and everything is much too loud >__<

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely could NOT study at home, as my family are distracting and everything is much too loud >__<
That's a really good idea for study. I try doing the same because my parents seem to interrupt me like every 2 minutes >_<

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
That's a really good idea for study. I try doing the same because my parents seem to interrupt me like every 2 minutes >_<
You two both NEED to find a space in your houses where you can study quietly, without disruption. You need to negotiate this with your parents and siblings. Make them understand how important it is to help you study. My parents insist on having the computer in the lounge room, so I insisted they buy me a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. :)

HSC
Uni Grad
You two both NEED to find a space in your houses where you can study quietly, without disruption. You need to negotiate this with your parents and siblings. Make them understand how important it is to help you study. My parents insist on having the computer in the lounge room, so I insisted they buy me a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. :)
I tried discussing with them but they reckon they still need me to do the stuff like taking out garbage, making me play piano (though at times I don't want to or I can't because I have to meet other requirements), needing me to help my brother, brother disrupting me and all this other stuff... They reckon it's because I'm the oldest child of the family and that I have to be responsible, which kinda sucks you know....

Nevertheless on Saturdays and Sundays they seem to disrupt me less...

muzeikchun852

HSC
I guess you could say that they are "demanding" but they're what I like.
Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Japanese, Modern History. Moderns the only one I don't like..
japanese is very demanding. study is needed almost every week. :spzz::spzz:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I've had an epiphany.
I realised in these holidays that I really haven't been able to grasp any of the subjects thoroughly. It's really worrying me when I open up a textbook, and everything is incomprehensible. Or when I refer to the syllabus dot points during study and none of it is understandable. It's gone to the point where I deter myself from studying because it makes me anxious and feel inadequate.
Yes, I know that if I don't study it will get worse, but no matter what I do, nothing seems to make sense. I try to debunk information but its all just a smattering of mess...Ahh. I feel defeated.

I hate this.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Help? D;
Go to TAFE

Nikster10

HSC
For maths, maybe try to get a simpler, clearer text book or as mentioned before a study guide and try Maths Online, its really clear, simple and you can repeat something if you don't get it, it got me through prelim maths. For modern check out some of the bos resources and get a study guide, or even read wiki for a basic understanding in simple terms. But try to talk to your teachers and friends especially any that do extensions, to explain it as friends tend to explain it in a simpler way.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I've been told so...I would but my parents are only allowing me to go to one tutor, and he's practically incomprehensible for me...So that defeats the purpose of tutoring really..
Stand up to them... I mean... it's your HSC...

Memi

HSC
N/A
japanese is very demanding. study is needed almost every week. :spzz::spzz:
Really? I'm not really finding it that demanding..or maybe I'm taking it too lightly ?

For maths, maybe try to get a simpler, clearer text book or as mentioned before a study guide and try Maths Online, its really clear, simple and you can repeat something if you don't get it, it got me through prelim maths. For modern check out some of the bos resources and get a study guide, or even read wiki for a basic understanding in simple terms. But try to talk to your teachers and friends especially any that do extensions, to explain it as friends tend to explain it in a simpler way.
Oh yeaaaah. I forgot about Maths Online x] Gotta love that monotonous guy -_-
I think I'll use it..I mean at least it visually displays the steps etc.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hey there,

I think perhaps the first thing to do is work ur your best learning style. There are three sorts: visual, auditory and kinesthetic (seeing, hearing, doing). Once you know that you can then work out a study routine that works to your strengths.

Here is one questionnaire that can help you work that out:
Free VAK visual auditory kinesthetic learning styles test questionnaire

When you know what style suits best, then google that style and study and see what you can find.

The next step is to take the subject you are having the biggest problems with and backtrack until you get to a point where you have mastery (this may be early Term 1 this year, Year 10, even Year 9). Then, work SLOWLY forward in your preferred study style and try to gain mastery in everything. This may take time (and this is where teachers may help, especially if you go to them and say "Look, I've worked out that my mastery in this subject ended in Year X and I need some help to work forward." let them know your learning style, as well, because this can be a big help to them. If they have no idea what you are taking about, go armed with information about learning styles.)

Most of all, don't panic. If Years 11 and 12 don't work for you there are other ways to get into the courses you want to get into. Maybe it is worth talking to the school about doing Pathways and concentrating on just a couple of HSC subjects at a time and do your Year 12 over a couple of years.

Hope this helps a little.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Hey there,

I think perhaps the first thing to do is work ur your best learning style. There are three sorts: visual, auditory and kinesthetic (seeing, hearing, doing). Once you know that you can then work out a study routine that works to your strengths.

Here is one questionnaire that can help you work that out:
Free VAK visual auditory kinesthetic learning styles test questionnaire

When you know what style suits best, then google that style and study and see what you can find.

The next step is to take the subject you are having the biggest problems with and backtrack until you get to a point where you have mastery (this may be early Term 1 this year, Year 10, even Year 9). Then, work SLOWLY forward in your preferred study style and try to gain mastery in everything. This may take time (and this is where teachers may help, especially if you go to them and say "Look, I've worked out that my mastery in this subject ended in Year X and I need some help to work forward." let them know your learning style, as well, because this can be a big help to them. If they have no idea what you are taking about, go armed with information about learning styles.)

Most of all, don't panic. If Years 11 and 12 don't work for you there are other ways to get into the courses you want to get into. Maybe it is worth talking to the school about doing Pathways and concentrating on just a couple of HSC subjects at a time and do your Year 12 over a couple of years.

Hope this helps a little.
Wow this is a really helpful response. Thank you so much!

hscishard

HSC
Understanding Year XX Maths are excellent study guide for maths :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I sort of understand my subjects but I hate them all. Although I guess I'd hate any subject anyway and I'm a math and science person so I chose that. Endure and persevere but try to make an effort. Year 11 is different, but most likely we'll eventually get used to the workload.

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
I've previously went to tutoring for maths but stopped recently because the work given was too difficult and the language barrier was unbearable. It was a group tutoring session so when I had queries, I'd have to queue for him which was a waste of time.
I've asked about transferring to a different tutor, but my parents either want me to go to his centre, or none. Dunno why
How about some online tutoring from someone on the BoS? Your parents don't need to know about it....

I'm sure you can find someone on here who will be willing to help you. It's just a matter of having some money to pay them for their services, unless you can find someone nice enough to do it for free (don't hold your breath haha)....if you can't afford 20-30 bucks a week consider getting a casual job or saving your allowance.

There was a lady who suggested going to TAFE..which isn't a bad idea actually because they offer FREE tutoring sessions. So I'd think about that actually.

And dude....it's only prelim so unless you're doing chemistry or extension maths, the year 11 material stuff doesn't matter.

muzeikchun852

HSC
You'll need to study daily in the lead up to your HSC exam for Japanese...
one question from my previous thread: will the language (or japanese) continuers' prelim course as well as HSC course be examine in the HSC exam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)