not started..? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i suppose it would be a stupid question to ask if anyone hasnt actually started their major work..?
ive sorta planned it, but just cant start... commiserations

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
Good luck. It took me 3 weeks to write a shitty first draft, and off and on writing over the last 4 months to produce a third draft.

J-lee

HSC
i wish you all the luck in the world becasue u are going to need it. i have done 6 drafts n still not happy with it- i have done 3 drafts of the reflection statement which ends up making up 50% of ur mark. depending on the mood i am able to write 1 draft in 1 night. but its the time u have reading it that makes the biggest difference cos within like 2 days u think oh that work is so shit an know what changes u want to make. but goodluck

Dio-Rama

HSC
dude....you are so screwed its not funny
it took me the past 7 months to write mine and there is no way that i am happy with it..
plus the trials!?
looks like a fortnite of all-nighters for you!!!

Emph

HSC
^ ^
i'm a perfectionist. my work was done yonks ago. part of my perfectionism is having it done early so that i can keep fixing it. being a perfectionist but having written nothing seems a bit of a contradiction.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
Yeah i wouldnt worry about it. My sisters from a selective school and shes only written 3000 words (maximum). If you're as creative and intelligent as her, you'll easily be able to get a beautifully written composition done. It just takes other people longer to get their work done as they are perfectionists. Make sure you've got your idea fully planned out and you'll be fine. Goodluck.
Which selective school? Anyone at ours that hasn't finished their first draft got our teacher's foot up their ass, and were then kicked out of the course.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Err...well, I've finished the story itself, bumped my estimate mark up from 46 to 49/50, but I havn't started the reflection statement yet. So I'm hoping when you guys say "finished" you don't mean both the story and the reflection.

So we've got about a fortnight from today. That's time for one final, comprehensive story draft (comprehensive meaning >3 teachers), and a series of 4 or 5 drafts of the reflection statement. That's how I look at it anyway.

People who start in the final week can still get awesome marks though; it does happen. All the best to ya!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Nevermind the above two kiddies, the exam stress has riddled their brains.

If you have trials, study and do your best in the trials as a priority. If your trials run during the hand-in date for the major work, you need to go to the next step.

Sit down and write. Stay up all night if you have too. If you don't have exams at the moment, or are doing CSSA which finish at the end of next week, then you have ample time. If you are serious about completing this course you can have an 8000 word story written in a single night. It might take you 9 hours, but that's a burden you'll have to bear.

Otherwise, you need to consider dropping the course. Be considerate of your peers' and friend's performance as well, which will be affected by your poor mark if you choose to hand in substandard work.

That being said, do what you can to finish your major work. Dropping the course this close to the end-game seems like such a waste of energy.

dimu2

HSC
mate, if u havnt started, i STRONGLY recommend u drop the course like its hot.. srsly man, if u havnt started by now u dont have a hope of it being counted in ur uai count, so i say drop it immediately and just study for everything else u got
g

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
dimu2 said:
mate, if u havnt started, i STRONGLY recommend u drop the course like its hot.. srsly man, if u havnt started by now u dont have a hope of it being counted in ur uai count, so i say drop it immediately and just study for everything else u got
g
...What's your major work about?

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ScottyG said:
Be considerate of your peers' and friend's performance as well, which will be affected by your poor mark if you choose to hand in substandard work.
Hang on.

That's not right is it?

Unless your assesment rank is higher than their's, but if that's the case then it's not your fault, nor is there any reason to think that if you've achieved higher marks then they have so far why you wouldn't get higher marks for the actual work itself.

You can't start second guessing what marks you think you'll get.

Just write it, and hand it in. Simple.

Heaps of time does help you to polish the thing, but it also gives you much more time to ruin it. If it gets too shiney no one will be able to read for all the glare.

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Oh gosh honey...

What have you been doing for the last year?

You could probably pull it off...if you're a lucky son of a bitch...but...I'm just absolutely gobsmacked that you haven't pulled off even the shitty first/second drafts I suppose.

But then again, I have hardly started my Reflection Statement and I'm still getting my mentor to go through my drafts with me.

And there's always that theory that the songs that are written in five minutes are bestsellers, while the ones that people slave over are never recognised.

But...gosh...I'm still slightly nervous/proud on your behalf...

Good luck!

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
You need to wait for that creativity streak. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it will hit me and I rush to the computer to get it down. If you don't have creativity flowing, what comes out is some ho-hum derivative boredom.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Thank god you are not doing poetry. otherwise you would be really screwed!

but your doing the lovely short story medium. Have confidence in youself. It is possible! Don't give up. I do strongly recommend giving up the course IF you have not recieved good marks for all you ee2 assessments throughout the year. Logically, you couldn't have gotten good marks, because you haven't started your actual major work! And they are all about the major work process! And, also if you have more than 10 units.

Otherwise, start RIGHT NOW!

actually when i read your post, i thought it was a joke. Honestly a joke! MAybe you posted it for your entertainment or something, but regardless if it is true, then the best of luck to you.

Anything is possible. If you aim to complete an 8000 word story then write 1000 words each day, spend about 2-3 hours doing this, starting form today! 1000 words is not that much (think of a typical english essay) and because you must have at least an idea, plot, storyline, and some sort of talent with writing.

This means 8000 words will be completed by next Sunday. Which then means you have a couple of days to draft, fix, and edit it. Give it out to many people so that you don't waste time looking for little mistakes.

Don't ever ignore grammar mistakes. It should be utterly immaculate, unless it is there for a purpose (read the rs for 'tea and tempests' in the 05 showcase).

Good luck.

shimmy&shine

HSC
oh and by the way, if this helps at all...

For Society and CUlture we have to do the PIP major Work. IT is usually borders around 8000 words. My friends finished a wonderful PIP in one weekend!

ONE WEEKEND!!!

The writing process is different however, but you have a WHOLE BIG LONG LONG LENGTHY HUGE week (adjectives utilised for soothing purposes only). Don't give up on yourself.

Anyway my friend was still writing till 9am however. Still writing and writing. yeah she handed it in late, but it was alright.

So there is something to think about. It is possible.

Trillium

HSC
*shrugs*
it's 8000 words. Honestly, not that much.
It's entirely possible to sit down and write 8k in a night. Print it, give a copy to someone to check, and do your own edit.
Next day, edit the story.
Hand it to a teacher or whatever.
Third day, edit again.

People work differently. I find that if im constantly working on something for longer than a week and it's not very long, i end up hating it. Just push out the words. Sit down and do it when you can.
I've only got 2000 words, and that was done early on in the term to satisfy teacher demands of having their hadns on physical text. Time won't always gaurantee quality. Good luck, and stick with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)