not sleeping before an exam (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
what does everyone reckon?

can u do an exam if u had no sleep the night before. personally i've obviously had all nighters but only for handing in essays and i seem to be pretty fine during the day. but i just dont know whether its better to cut study time a couple of hours short for some sleep or not.

its a morning exam btw

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've tried both approaches and I must say getting the sleep usually helps. If I'm struggling that much before an exam, I'm more likely to forget things cos of the cramming than if I had gotten a nice clear mind, and tried to do some early morning revision beforehand.

In saying that I didn't sleep prior to the HSC english exam and managed a fairly decent score cramming.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
im doing it now.. and it hurts :( not sleeping is actually painful

im going to sleep at least 2 hours though

havy

HSC
just did an all niter on friday...i felt ok back then...but i probably wont do it again since it has side effects later on.

hannahxxx

HSC
I think it depends on the type of exam. If it's english-hell no-seeing as u need to write as much as u can in the time frame-which is usually a lot-and to write a lot u need to remember stuff really quickly. But with short answer questions, where you have more time to rack your sleep-deprived brain, then it would be easier. That's just personal experience.
I can't decide whether to sleep b4 my soc180 exam tomorrow or not...
But yeah clairegirl I know what u mean not sleeping IS painful....your whole body feels like shit....i think at about 3am the sleeplessness hits the worst

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Soc180 was pretty easy from memory, I wouldn't worrry too much about it :)

And re: physical effects, my body's good for 2-3 days in a row nowdays, before I could do 4-5 days of minimum/no sleep :( Getting old

T

trolloutaface

I also have an exam today and probably won't get any sleep, unless I go to bed now. Soc180 is an interesting subject, but you have to memorize so much shit :'(

good luck everyone.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Really? I don't remember memorising that much :|

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
It is much much better to get some sleep. Sleeping helps consolidate what you have learned :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well then, sleeping will shorten the time towards your impending doom :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
and what if u've got nothing to consolidate?
if you are adding more content into your poor brain hours before the exam, it will just create unhelpful interference which will make it hard to concentrate and increase anxiety. Ideally you shouldn't be learning anything new 24 hours before an exam, rather revising stuff and having a good nights sleep.

And yes, pretty much what Asy said: if you think you're stuffed, then you might as well sleep and shorten the time until you know you're stuffed.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yes me too unfortunately :s ....

but listen to the neuropsychologist to be :) .... i know u'll get in jamie! u deserve it hun

and i think i experienced what you described last... trying to stuff more knowledge into my poor/tired brain.. only created more anxiety...

i couldn't sleep either even though i was dying too and i was physically and mentally tired... so i went n slept in my car lol

HSC
personally i like to get in my two hours sleep - no matter how stuffed i am - i find it tricks me into thinking i've slept which is great for early morning cramming. so i study until one, get up at three when it's a morning one, or study till two, get up at four when it's an afternooner. there's just nothing like those morning fresh panic study seshes for shoving crap into ur brain

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
I hate all you people who sleep.. my eyes have an awesome shade of black underneath thanks to insomnia

I can NEVER fall asleep before a morning exam... so I don't bother :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I usually don't sleep that well, but before exams are one of the few times I can. Weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)