Norton 360 V5 slowing down my old computer. (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
If you don't mind paying, I reckon Kaspersky is one of the best.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I would never recommend Norton 360 anymore. I used to be a Norton fan (buyin their AV, as well as 360 before realising it was a dumbed down version) but then each year they added bloat and junk as they tried to justify forcing people to buy new versions and ceasing to provide definition updates to older users, I moved to avast and have never looked back. I've tried a few free options, as well as Symantec Corporate antivirus (same people who make Norton) which was provided free by my university, but have settled on avast. It's light, it's simple, and it works well. Firewall wise, I still use ZoneAlarm even though it is a tad annoying.

Symantec is a perfect example of a company which used to be the market leaders, but is trying to stay relevant as better and free alternatives pop up.
Lol ZoneAlarm ranks horribly now days XD

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I would never recommend Norton 360 anymore. I used to be a Norton fan (buyin their AV, as well as 360 before realising it was a dumbed down version) but then each year they added bloat and junk as they tried to justify forcing people to buy new versions and ceasing to provide definition updates to older users, I moved to avast and have never looked back. I've tried a few free options, as well as Symantec Corporate antivirus (same people who make Norton) which was provided free by my university, but have settled on avast. It's light, it's simple, and it works well. Firewall wise, I still use ZoneAlarm even though it is a tad annoying.

Symantec is a perfect example of a company which used to be the market leaders, but is trying to stay relevant as better and free alternatives pop up.
You don't really need to have another firewall. You can just use windows firewall (It's just as good). Just don't click on anything stupid and you'll be alright. I've used AVAST for about 2 years now with windows firewall and never had any major infections. What ever AVAST couldn't get rid of, I'd just use MBAM scan on my family's computers.

I used to support Norton as well, before I find out how bloated and what a waste it was on money. It's a good program for technology illiterate people, because it's a one time install and set - then never touch it again program. But yeah AVAST is very friendly as well. Sometimes it prompts you for product updates and to run processes in sandbox mode, which may freak out some people.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
You don't really need to have another firewall. You can just use windows firewall (It's just as good). Just don't click on anything stupid and you'll be alright. I've used AVAST for about 2 years now with windows firewall and never had any major infections. What ever AVAST couldn't get rid of, I'd just use MBAM scan on my family's computers.

I used to support Norton as well, before I find out how bloated and what a waste it was on money. It's a good program for technology illiterate people, because it's a one time install and set - then never touch it again program. But yeah AVAST is very friendly as well. Sometimes it prompts you for product updates and to run processes in sandbox mode, which may freak out some people.
Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that Norton is shit for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)