North Sydney Boys 2023 Extension 1 Trial - Question 7 (1 Viewer)

Luukas.2

HSC
I am sure that many people here have attempted the North Sydney Boys Extension 1 Trial from this year. I was looking at it earlier today and noticed that none of options provided are correct. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that this MCQ does not offer a correct answer.

The question is:

NSBHS MX1 Q7.png

The answer given is (B) but the correct answer is .

The approach taken is to look at the dot product. It is true that:

If two vectors u and v are perpendicular, then u . v = 0.​

However, it is not true that:

If u . v = 0, then the two vectors u and v are perpendicular.​

because being perpendicular is not the only situation that leads to a dot product being zero... it also happens when one (or both) of the vectors is the zero vector. In other words, the first if-then statement above is correct (because vectors can only be perpendicular if they are non-zero), but the second if-then statement is drawing a conclusion from a zero dot product that only follows if the vectors are non-zero. The actual situation is that:

Two vectors u and v have a dor product of zero (i.e. u . v = 0), if, and only if, the vectors are perpendicular or one or both of them is the zero vector.​

The calculation given in the solutions does lead to the conclusion that the answer is (B) as the dot product is zero if or .

The vector a - b = -(m + 2)i is parallel to the x-axis (if non-zero), and so can only be perpendicular to a vector parallel to the y-axis. This is the case, where a - b = -2i and b = mi - j = -j, which are indeed perpendicular.

When , b = -2i - j which cannot be perpendicular to any vector ki, but can give a dot product of zero if k = 0. In this case,
we have a - b = -(-2 + 2)i = 0, which explains the result arising from looking at solutions of (a - b) . b = 0.

Has the mistake in this question been raised anywhere else or by anyone else, that I haven't seen?

Last edited:

Sam14113

HSC
Look I think you’re right - at the end of the day this comes down to definitions in a way.

as far as I’m aware, NESA does not provide a definition of the perpendicularity of vectors. If we define perpendicular vectors as pairs of vectors whose dot product is 0, then B would be the correct answer.

However, the definition I have from my teacher implies that the 0 vector is not perpendicular to any vector. Instead, the term orthogonal is used to describe 2 vectors whose dot product is zero, irrespective of whether one vector is 0.

So in this case, I think you are correct - as usual, a trial paper contains an incorrect multiple choice question 😞

EDIT: Jokes aside, it’s really not an unusual thing for a trial paper to contain errors - if you do find one, you can often safely assume it is indeed an error, rather than a fault in your own understanding

Luukas.2

HSC
Thanks for the advice, @Sam14113, I agree that incorrect questions and solutions are common.

I was just surprised by this one as it is a paper that will have been done by many students and I wonder if no one else had noticed the mistake.

Sam14113

HSC
Fair enough! Maybe in future years it should become more of a thing to publicise errors in papers (hint hint class of 24...)

carrotsss

HSC
Thanks for the advice, @Sam14113, I agree that incorrect questions and solutions are common.

I was just surprised by this one as it is a paper that will have been done by many students and I wonder if no one else had noticed the mistake.
A lot of the time mistakes like this get found by students but then they ask about them on discords etc, which is quite a shame because they aren’t indexed by search engines so future students who have the same problem won’t find the solution as easily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)