• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nooooo, my opera died (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
During the last few days I've been stuck with shitty IE because my opera brower won't open. When I try to open the program the comp cranks for a little while then nothing happens, but when I press ctrl + alt + del, it says that opera.exe is running!

The version I was running is 7.01, I downloaded the installer for 7.23 but it won't install! Just like opera.exe, the program manager says it's (ow32enen723j.exe) running when it clearly isn't. The installer for version 7.5 beta works, but that's an unstable beta version and I still want to retrieve all my settings and email from version 7.01 :(

I don't remember changing any settings prior to it screwing up, although I was visiting the opera website if that's any help...

Thanks

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Get Avant Browser. Less than 1mb and still offers all that stuff that other browsers offer. Quick to load too and is also a tabbed browser.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Mithoric
Get FireFox ;) ... Opera is way too bulky.
fire fox loads much slower than opera, there is no browser less bulky than opera

Originally posted by RCMasterAA
Get Avant Browser. Less than 1mb and still offers all that stuff that other browsers offer. Quick to load too and is also a tabbed browser.

anant browser, like netcaptor is only a "skin" on IE6

Slimeboy

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
fire fox loads much slower than opera, there is no browser less bulky than opera
Care to prove that?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Back on actually trying to solve the original problem instead of offering an alternative.............

Did you try both versions of the Opera 7.23 installation?

Try the info here to backup your existing Opera data, and then play with the different installation and versions. You might also want to check that all Opera related files are removed between installations so that whatever problem it is isn't getting carried over.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
if worst comes to worst, reformat :)

it is funny how you can install 7.50 beta but not 7.23.....

mabye try install 6 into same folder, then install 7.23 over that?

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890

anant browser, like netcaptor is only a "skin" on IE6
But still, there are still all those options to open your last opened pages and all that stuff when you start it up, and IE integration is good sometimes cause MSN applications will use Avant instead of IE. Has ad pop up blocker etc etc.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Yay!
I managed to get 7.23 working somehow

I lost all my bookmarks and settings but I managed to save my mail :)

Mithoric

HSC
Originally posted by Slimeboy
Care to prove that?
Well, being a freelance web developer and programmer I have Pretty much all the more popular browsers all the way to NN4. Opera loads slower than firefox. And general web browsing is faster as well.. Although hardly faster to count.

And I have a decent machine as well, 2.66 (OC'd though ;)) and 768mb DDR PC2700 although I would prefer DDR 400 instead of 333..but there is no point upgrading because I'm saving for June so I can get PCI express and a new socket FX-53.

Firefox is a shell script compared to opera :p

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
During the last few days I've been stuck with shitty IE because my opera brower won't open. When I try to open the program the comp cranks for a little while then nothing happens, but when I press ctrl + alt + del, it says that opera.exe is running!

The version I was running is 7.01, I downloaded the installer for 7.23 but it won't install! Just like opera.exe, the program manager says it's (ow32enen723j.exe) running when it clearly isn't. The installer for version 7.5 beta works, but that's an unstable beta version and I still want to retrieve all my settings and email from version 7.01 :(

I don't remember changing any settings prior to it screwing up, although I was visiting the opera website if that's any help...

Thanks
omg that same thing is happening to me! i can open opera okay, but if i close it i can't reopen it again without restarting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)