Non year 12 admitted students.... (1 Viewer)

werdna

HSC
Hi everyone.

I was just after a bit of info from anyone who has been accepted at Newcastle Uni who was not a year 12 student.

I completed my HSC in 2004 with very average marks, not good enough to get into any courses at Newcastle.

Last year I completed an advanced diploma of marketing (maj. sport). This involved a 10 week accounting subject which really interested me. I would now like to study Finance.

Ive been in contact with UAC but their answers were pretty vague.

Just wanted to know what people did in similar situations to me. What things will help in my application?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Hi werdna!

I completed my HSC a while ago and had very poor marks (read: a UAI of 30 or less). At the time I had no intention of going to uni so it wasn't such a big deal I guess.

Well, later on I decided uni might actually be the go, so I enrolled into a program run by the university called Newstep. It took a year but it let me enter uni like normal (ie you still apply through UAC). The only difference is on your application you put in the extra details about additional courses you have done, in my case Newstep and in your case the advanced diploma. The UAC guides are actually pretty good at explaining how to do this too.

It also might be a good idea to talk to the program convenor for the B Finance program, who according to http://www.newcastle.edu.au/faculty/business-law/programs/bfin.html is NEIL HARTNETT (Neil.Hartnett@newcastle.edu.au). If he can't help he should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can. There is some other decent information there too if you're interested.

Good luck!

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Do you want to do accounting or finance? If you're interested in accounting, you might want to have a look at a B. Commerce with an accounting major opposed to finance.

Relevant links for a B. Commerce and a B. Finance:

http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=163&FOS=4&UGPG=13
http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=183&FOS=4&UGPG=13

UAC have little to do with entry into the Uni, they just determine the UAI cut offs for courses based on number of applicants, etc. You really should be getting into contact with the Uni for more concrete answers, but they'll probably say something like open foundation/newstep like darkliight has said.

werdna

HSC
Thanks alot guys. That info is great, much appreciated. Ill let you know how I go.

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i dont think u need a uai for advanced diploma entry, i think u can go straight into uni
thats just speculation tho
its all to do with the AQF (australian qualifications framework)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Sorry, was posted in the wrong thread, I had more than one open at a time. I'll delete

werdna

HSC
Emily. said:
i dont think u need a uai for advanced diploma entry, i think u can go straight into uni
thats just speculation tho
its all to do with the AQF (australian qualifications framework)
Thanks for the info Emily.

I was just looking around the uni website and the facility I studied my Advanced Dimpolma at (APM Training Insitute) can be used for credit transfer, so i guess thats a good thing.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
werdna said:
Thanks for the info Emily.

I was just looking around the uni website and the facility I studied my Advanced Dimpolma at (APM Training Insitute) can be used for credit transfer, so i guess thats a good thing.
Hey, you did the Adv. Diploma in Marketing (Sports) through APM last year did you? Hahaha awesome. I applied to that this year. Got accepted, but also got accepted to into Newcastle and so I took the degree here instead. Pity that I paid a $300 application and enrollment fee only to not have that money refunded when I opted out. They have had some high profile people come out of APM ive seen. :)

werdna

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Hey, you did the Adv. Diploma in Marketing (Sports) through APM last year did you? Hahaha awesome. I applied to that this year. Got accepted, but also got accepted to into Newcastle and so I took the degree here instead. Pity that I paid a $300 application and enrollment fee only to not have that money refunded when I opted out. They have had some high profile people come out of APM ive seen. :)
Yep I did the Sports major there, was alot of fun.

Im def not and probably never will be one of those high profile people lol.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
werdna said:
Yep I did the Sports major there, was alot of fun.

Im def not and probably never will be one of those high profile people lol.
Awesome. Yeah I met some past students from last year at the Open Day they had back earlier this year. Got a fair bit of info from them. Was pretty keen for it too, although uni was my first preference.
A guy from last year scored a pretty nice job within Sydney FC, and all the Sports Marketing lecturers I spoke with seemed pretty easy going and approachable, which is always a good thing. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)