non recent school leaver (1 Viewer)

CloudStrife

HSC
Hey,

I'm in my final year of uni and decided I want to try get into dentistry since I actually want a job where I can see myself helping people and still be paid decently. I recently sat for gamsat for graduate entry into med/dent but found that it was very hard.

Anyone know what sort of criteria is looked at if non-recent school leavers wanted to apply for undergrad dentistry at Umelb or UQ dentistry??? Do you need a really good GPA to even think of applying? I studied a stupidly hard uni course so my marks aren't too awesome.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Be interested to know myself mate. I think it varies for each uni and is much more personal - i.e. more like a resume/interview than marks-based.

L337

Made of Win!
HSC
CloudStrife said:
Hey,

I'm in my final year of uni and decided I want to try get into dentistry since I actually want a job where I can see myself helping people and still be paid decently. I recently sat for gamsat for graduate entry into med/dent but found that it was very hard.

Anyone know what sort of criteria is looked at if non-recent school leavers wanted to apply for undergrad dentistry at Umelb or UQ dentistry??? Do you need a really good GPA to even think of applying? I studied a stupidly hard uni course so my marks aren't too awesome.
To get into UQ dent in '07, you needed:

(1) Entry rank 99 (OP 1/GPA 5.8 Group I tertiary institution*, GPA 6.5 Group II institution**) with minimum UMAT score of 170 for a Commonwealth Supported place;
(2) Entry rank 99 (OP 1/GPA 5.8 Group I tertiary institution*, GPA 6.5 Group II institution**) with minimum UMAT score of 156 for a domestic full-fee-paying place;
(3) Entry rank 99 (OP 1/GPA 6.63 Group I tertiary institution*) for an international full-fee paying place.

* Group I institutions (Group of Eight research-intensive universities) include University of Queensland, University of Sydney, University of NSW, Australian National University (ANU), University of Melbourne, Monash University, University of Adelaide, and University of Western Australia.

** Group II institutions in Queensland include Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Griffith University, James Cook University, University of Southern Queensland, University of Sunshine Coast, University of Central Queensland, Australian Catholic University. Contact UQ Admissions for details of other Group II institutions. "

deltastrider

HSC
The GAMSAT and USyd's graduate dental program is probably your best chance of getting into dentistry. All the undergraduate courses at the other unis only reserved at most 1 or 2 places per year to non year 12 school leavers, and your competiting against lots of other students from that same uni trying to transfer from another course as well. Not to mention your GPA has to be competitively high.

Whereas with Usyd, there are 90 students per year, 15 international, so 75 local places... They interview about 200 candidates who meet the minimum required GAMSAT score... usually 59 - 61. So your chances are higher, plus it's a 4 year course :) I know a few ppl in the course who was successful on the third attempt of getting into dentistry, so keep trying.
But if u still want to try applying for the undergrad courses, by all means do, hay there's no hurt in trying, after all i did too as back-up, but in the end i got an offer from Usyd and not the other unis. Thank god.
The UMAT is actually more competitive and i bombed out on that one.

Your other option is applying for the 2 new dental schools in 2009. Charles Sturt and Latrobe.. i think both don't need a Umat.
Ignore the link someone posted before... thats Bachelor of Oral Health... not dentistry.

Good luck!

doink

Clone
HSC
Id rather sit the umat 10x then the gamsat once, but that's just me.

doink

Clone
HSC
everyone is different though, GAMSAT rewards hard work much more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)