• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

non-graduate law? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
hmmm...it's funny how all these new members who [appear] to be very knowledgeable... where da hell is bearpooh? :p
it's simply his poohboyness in all his forms.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yes, but there were so many stupid things about what he's saying.
For someone who stopped reading my post 1/4 of the way through you seem to be surprisingly able to comment on its contents.

PwarYuex said:
Although this particular person wants to go into the legal career, he's assuming that the legal career is the only place to be. Not to mention the fact that the thread creator may not like legal work, or not actually end up in a firm. Not everyone wants to be (let alone can be) souless firm-employed bastards.
I wasn't asuming that at all. I know that to be a legal practitioner is not for everyone. The other places you can go with your law degree are amazing and I think everyone should at least consider these posibilities. I sure have and many of them are very attactive.

BUT. The whole premise of my post was in response to the original poster's situation:

matt#1 said:
i'm only really interested in a legal career
My response was clearly qualified by:

BillytheFIsh said:
If you just want to practice law...
BillytheFIsh said:
As I said - these observations are for people who clearly want to practice law being a solicitor/barrister

PwarYuex said:
He's also making your non-law component to be a waste of time, which, if he thinks that, good luck to him...
I never said this. Again, I was merely responding to the OP's circumstances.

BillytheFIsh said:
these observations are for people who clearly want to practice law being a solicitor/barrister and are keen to get into the workforce as soon as practicable.

the time (even if it's only a year) simply may not be worth it for you.
I never said it was a waste of time. I said that in the OP's circumstances, it may no be worth it.

Again I say, if a DD program works for you, then do it. However I just wanted to alleviate the concerns of the OP that in my experience and opinion, it won't limit his prospects in any way if he chooses not to take that path.

I liked doing my 2nd degree. (I have now finished that component of my course)

The question is: if I knew what I know now 4 years ago would I have done anything different? Probably not. It works/worked for me, so I did it. And would probably do it again.

I'm not saying that path is right/wrong for anyone else, but it was right for me. In the OP's circumstances, I made the comments I made and I stand by them.

santaslayer said:
hmmm...it's funny how all these new members who [appear] to be very knowledgeable keep popping in, making a few ranodm posts and then leave...
Not sure whether you were refering to me... but generally with forums I'm a bit of a lurker - as a lot fo the time I visit very sporadically and it's hard to keep track of what's going on.

Whether I hang around here a bit longer or not remains to be seen... I get the feeling I haven't made the best first impression with some and anything I say will probably be in their view tainted by that. Whatever.

I contribute to forums either because I'm bored or interested in the subject matter. I'm sure if I continue to be bored, and this forum continues to be interesting, I'm bound to stick around at least for a bit. If I feel I have something to contribute I will. Just as I'm sure if any/everyone disagrees with me they'll say so.

The joys of internet forums and procrastination!

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
remains to be seen... I get the feeling I haven't made the best first impression with some and anything I say will probably be in their view tainted by that. Whatever.

I contribute to forums either because I'm bored or interested in the subject matter. I'm sure if I continue to be bored, and this forum continues to be interesting, I'm bound to stick around at least for a bit. If I feel I have something to contribute I will. Just as I'm sure if any/everyone disagrees with me they'll say so.

The joys of internet forums and procrastination!
I like Billy. Useful contributions made, I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)