No productions on LEAR at alllllll ~?~ Everyone seems to have smthg bout this in thei (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Everyone seems to have a production of some sort in their KL essay......but is this totally neccessary? I was told no cos some ppl haven't studied n e films or productions at all cos they didnt watchem or smthg. Will i lose marks if i dun mention Peter Brook, Richard Eyre at all?...........esp. if it's not mention in q.?

frenchy

I'm still confused about the whole thing (ahh stupid king lear!!)
but i was told to inlcude productions by my teacher, so thats what im going to do.
Dont worry if you havent done any productions, we're are allowed to make one up! :)
So if does come to a question being asked (and it does say mention productions), make it all up, that way you can talk about staging, lighting and all that in a way that fits into the rest of your essay.
I dont think you'll lose many marks if the question doesn't say to include productions and you don't, to be safe mention at least something to do with staging like when your talking about a particularly a scene and reading (like family..feminist)... lets say for example Act 1 Scene 1, just also include in a production produced my a fellow member at school, they were able emphasise the family perspective by having Lear and Cordelia walk in with there around each other blah blah blah.. understand what i mean?

Hope that helps, dont worry because i think everyone is in the same boat for King lear, we're all a little confused!
Goodl Luck!

Last edited:

Moonfrog

You really do need to know productions. I don't want to stress you out, but the 2001 Lear question said 'how do different productions dramatise....' So while it doesn't say real prodcutions and you could make them up, it would prob sound better if you talked about real production

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
You don't need to know actual productions...but the tricky thing is, that as Moonfrog said, they could legitimately give you a question askng about different productions and how they dramatise different readings and interpretations of the play.

However, there is also an emphasis on being able to create your own production to put across your own message. What I would probably do (and what I probably did last year) is write out a seet of concise notes for King lear which divides it up into different critical readings, and under each of these readings, have aspects of one known production you have seen or read about which put forth the message of the reading, then try to come up with some of your own original ideas on how to stage such a production. Then you can integrate both real and imaginary productions if you need to.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Yeah, as Moonfrog said in the 2001 exam they asked "how diff productions........". I took that as "made up productions" so i would say "A production suggesting a family reading could be staged as......by using special lightingf to portray......Cordelia COULD be......"............this is like what Weisy said, have your own production b'cos they'll accept it. My teacher said some students like at farms haven't done any named productions at all but produced their own right on the spot. :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Weisy
What I would probably do (and what I probably did last year) is write out a seet of concise notes for King lear which divides it up into different critical readings, and under each of these readings, have aspects of one known production you have seen or read about which put forth the message of the reading, then try to come up with some of your own original ideas on how to stage such a production. Then you can integrate both real and imaginary productions if you need to.
okay, aside from our "imagined" productions: how many critical readings would you suggest we know? i only have two productions/readings and i'm worried it's not enough

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
Three would be ideal. So you can choose the readings which might be more fitting towards a certain question/statement/discussion. But I think with two, you'd be able to get by.

lazyb0i

Lear interpretations

It is absolutely necessary to include at least two productions of King Lear in a response to a King Lear question as Module B: Critical study of texts requires interpretations of Lear. An example of such an interpretation is the production of a communist interpretation of Lear by Grigory Kozintsev, starring Yuri Yarov (?) made in 1971

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
okay, aside from our "imagined" productions: how many critical readings would you suggest we know? i only have two productions/readings and i'm worried it's not enough
I had three prepared, but in the exam I spent 1 hour on Lear, and still didn't fit them all in...only fitted in 2, with a 3 real interpretations and 2 concepts I made up.

I think 2 is adequate, what is more important is how you can correlate your production techniques with the message you are trying to get across fro each interpretation

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
i dont know any readings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know productions but not readings!!!!!! fuck what do i do... can you get away without knowing readings but being able to talk about 3 productions in depth?

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
productions ARE kinda like readings.....right?
They have different interpretations.............i think you'll be fine :).....theyre the same thing

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Should I comment that 2001 was "How MIGHT different productions dramatise the struggle between order and chaos in King Lear?" so you see, you don't need to know exact productions, but helpful all the same.
Calm down if you don't know all about a reading. Just have some idea and u'll be fine. But they are not that important.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by lillaila
productions ARE kinda like readings.....right?
They have different interpretations.............i think you'll be fine :).....theyre the same thing
yeah i know thats what heaps of people say however i dont know any readings as in feminist, marxist, nihilistic etc.... like the PROPER readings...
ahh well what can you do

Helena

Oh wow, I am so surprised... when I started studying King lear, we were told that the best solution is to get at least two readings (I'm doing Aristotelian and Psychoanalytical) and then the same number of productions that are preferrably linked to the readings. This definitely isn't the standard but in order to calm confusion, our teacher set us that guide and it's worked pretty well.
Our Trial question was about readings and didn't mention anything about productions but then people who didn't write about productions AT ALL were penalised...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)