• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No more Africans (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Thanks for attempting to change my beliefs.

I still don't say that it's racist on the basis of the government having a very valid reason for turning them away.

williams180

HSC
katie_tully said:
Side note: AIDS epidemic. Anybody else read that rant from some Catholic minister in some African country saying Europe is infecting condoms with AIDS in an attempt to further wipe out the African population?
no i did not . anybody who would believe that in one word would be retarded.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Is not racism the discrimination of an individual or culture based upon their racial profile? Thus, the problems of integration of certain individuals of a racial group being extrapolated to the entire racial group could be considered an example of racism, or at least could be argued to be such.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=define:+racism&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Well I'd say it was culture rather than race, do you deny the existence of cultural differences? :D

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
Thanks for attempting to change my beliefs.

I still don't say that it's racist on the basis of the government having a very valid reason for turning them away.
So hypothetically there was Mr Eze Kamau who was highly educated and fluent in English, even being educated in Australia or another Western nation, who happens to fulfill the criteria of a refugee due to the genocide in Darfur, would you still claim that the government has a vaild reason for denying his application based upon his race?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
this thread is hilarious

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
So hypothetically there was Mr Eze Kamau who was highly educated and fluent in English, even being educated in Australia or another Western nation, who happens to fulfill the criteria of a refugee due to the genocide in Darfur, would you still claim that the government has a vaild reason for denying his application based upon his race?
And so letting him in would not be discriminatory against others because they lack certain personal qualities/an education? That's pretty much a step backwards to the white Australia from yesteryear.

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
And so letting him in would not be discriminatory against others because they lack certain personal qualities/an education? That's pretty much a step backwards to the white Australia from yesteryear.
Yes it would still be discrimination, but it would no longer be racist

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Yes it would still be discrimination, but it would no longer be racist
How? They don't have qualities which you percieve to be valuable simply because of their background.

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
How? They don't have qualities which you percieve to be valuable simply because of their background.
because it is not based on race, but on education.

In case you were unaware, the name Mr Eze Kamau is an African name. So if you were assuming that he is white, you are unfortunately mistaken. Consequently, the refute of a yesteryear approach of White Australia is null and void, because he would have been rejected for being non-European.

Further, the relevance of a western education would invoke that the individual would understand the culture of Western Society, hence the individual would have little trouble integrating into society.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
absolutlaura said:
Well this is not a new phenomenon, many many many groups of refugees have had trouble intergrating into australian society.. by now you'd think we'd have developed a support system that can adequately deal with the problems that they face...
Somehow I don't think throwing money at the problem is going to do much. I don't think the fact that some refugee groups outperform other groups has much of anything to do with government programs.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
Yeah fact remains that it's not racist. You're just ignorant and narrow minded.
Could you clarify your point, as it appears that your making assertions without support

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Could you clarify your point, as it appears that your making assertions without support
All the support you need is in the article.

Government rejects applications from African Refugees for the next 9 months.
Government fixes problems associated with African Refugees upon settlement.
Government allows African Refugees back in after 9 months.

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
All the support you need is in the article.

Government rejects applications from African Refugees for the next 9 months.
Government fixes problems associated with African Refugees upon settlement.
Government allows African Refugees back in after 9 months.
And yet you claim it isn't racist in defiance on definitions of the concept of racism, which suggests contrary to your assertions. Yet you claim others are narrow minded and ignorant?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
And yet you claim it isn't racist in defiance on definitions of the concept of racism, which suggests contrary to your assertions. Yet you claim others are narrow minded and ignorant?
I claimed ignorance because you failed to look past "HEY THEY'RE TELLING AFRICANS NO, THEY'RE RACIST".

It's not a fucking racist notion at all, it's for the betterment of future Sudanese Australians.

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
I claimed ignorance because you failed to look past "HEY THEY'RE TELLING AFRICANS NO, THEY'RE RACIST".

It's not a fucking racist notion at all, it's for the betterment of future Sudanese Australians.
To discriminate based on race alone by definition is racism. Which one can accept based on the various definitions of racism or one can choose to ignore. If one accepts it, then one must accept that any action or policy that engages in such a task is by definition racist. The motive behind such an action is irrelevant and to for one to argue otherwise would be to make a similar flaw as the rationale of the Stolen Generation or various other atrocities.

If you can provide a rational arguement of how it isn't racism be my guest.

Further, if you can prove (not allege without evidence and rational justification) how my approach is ignorant, I would welcome the discussion

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=define:+ignorant&btnG=Search&meta=

Last edited:

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Not all africans are black. In fact many refugees from Zimbabwe are actually whites :D

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Further, if you can prove (not allege without evidence and rational justification) how my approach is ignorant, I would welcome the discussion.
If you read back upon the article, you will find that they are deemed unique because of their histories, the time spent in concentration camps and the general nature of their oppresion, as opposed to others who seek refuge in Australia.

The government is denying entry to them because of the difficulty they experience integrating into society, not because they come from Africa, but what they endure in Africa.

I would find the exact quote but I am capped and I'm sure an able reader such as yourself would be up to the task.

HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
If you read back upon the article, you will find that they are deemed unique because of their histories, the time spent in concentration camps and the general nature of their oppresion, as opposed to others who seek refuge in Australia.

The government is denying entry to them because of the difficulty they experience integrating into society, not because they come from Africa, but what they endure in Africa.

I would find the exact quote but I am capped and I'm sure an able reader such as yourself would be up to the task.
As an educated individual as you aspire to be you need to use Critical Analysis of what is said by any individual as all are inherently biased and if one subscribes to Neo-classical economics (as the capitalist society does) they accept that all individuals are self serving. Consequently you need to assess whether all individuals of the African nation in question would all find it difficult to integrate, which in the case of the hypothetical man would be invalid as they would have experienced the culture and society during their years of education in the society prior to returning to their homeland.

Now this is one of the articles that I read that uses the quote that you are looking for:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=302046
http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...ime-than-others/2007/10/03/1191091193867.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)